Dave's RSM 500

David Shaw

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I wish i could take cool quality pics that really show off the colours and the tank to it's best, but at least the phone pics give the general idea.

I am on a mission to try and stop spending money on the tank now it's up and running, but so many nice corals and fish to be had :) Just one more, just one more, just one more.....:banghead:

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi David, How's tricks? I see the First Max S series aquarium in the world is looking really cool well done, how are your Bartletts Anthis doing ? keep the pictures coming, I will at sometime get around to putting a thread up on my S500.

dustinc

Hey Dave,

Your tank looks great. Could you measure the actual dimensions of the tank itself? I would like to know how much water it will hold minus the back area and such. Thanks

David Shaw

Hi David, How's tricks? I see the First Max S series aquarium in the world is looking really cool well done, how are your Bartletts Anthis doing ? keep the pictures coming, I will at sometime get around to putting a thread up on my S500.

Thanks Kevin

As the 1st world customer i am working hard to keep it well maintained and thriving, got to keep the flag ship tank status in good order :)

The Bartletts are doing great. I have 5 of them, and they love the 500, loads of swimming room and they are forever on the move. I have had them a couple of months and they are all thriving.

Would love to see your 500 up and running Kevin, so you should definitely start a thread!

Shan

HI dave, hope all is well!! Finally got my tank landscaped and corals all plugged in!
Still having microbubble issues, but hoping that will stop as the skimmer breaks in, as they say.?

Question... what level do you keep the foam in your skimmer. I havent got that dialed in very well yet.

David Shaw

Have you got the water level going down from the tank and into the sump at the right level? If there's a bit of a vortex rushing down the pipe it produces micro bubbles. Also put some floss on the carbon shelf (i change mine daily) and make sure the skimmer outlet pipe is pointed to the right hand side of the chamber (or back over the black sponges if you have the new pipe. This should quit the bubble situation.

I have my bubbles in the skimmer set to 3/4 of the way up the skimmer window, and tweak the air and setting valve so i can see a thick foam just bubbling on the top of the skimmer. Takes some tweaking to find the optimum settings. Also make sure the water flowing into the skimmer isn't set too open (using the red valve), as this produces more running water noise and potential micro bubbles escaping from the outlet pipe. I have mine set so i cant hear the running water when the cupboard door is closed.

Hope this helps.

Shan

Thanks Dave. My downpipe is good, no vortex and no sound. I did not use the carbon on the shelf, I used a product called poly filter which filters out waste. But I'm thinking it's restricting water flow some. I seem to get some large bubbles building under the carbon shelf and I'm thinking these are getting released and when they go into the main pump they become micro bubbles. I'm going to take the poly out and put the carbon in and see if that helps.

David Shaw

I rotate between putting floss or reticulated foam in the carbon tray and rinse/change frequently. I have taken out the black sponges as they got very clogged and i cant find anywhere selling replacement foam spare parts as yet, so have dropped the media bags into that area as it gets good flow from the down pipe and chiller return hose, not sure if i am supposed to do this but it seems to work fine.

I reckon your build up of bubbles in the poly foam might be the issue with micro bubbles, worth a try to see what happens.

Shan

So you put your carbon in the downflow area? How often do you change it?
I wish the black sponges weren't there. I want a tank that I don't have to worry about clogging sponges! I may remove mine as well.

David Shaw

I have 2 bags of Purigen and large media bag of carbon in the down flow area. There is good flow back there, so i figured that was a good place to position the media. I change out the carbon every 2 months and the purigen when it discolours and just pop in new bags.

I removed the black sponges after 6 months, and when i removed them i was amazed at just how clogged up they were, probably the reason why my nitrates spiked from zero to 30ppm. So i am now running without the black sponges.

Since i removed the sponges my nitrates have dropped back down and the media bags are easy enough to replace and don't block anything, they just float around in the water return compartment, and as the flow is good it provides good filtration. I have no micro-bubbles and everything seems to be just fine.

I don't plan on going back to putting black sponges in when replacements ones become available to buy, as the reticulated foam or white floss in the carbon tray area are doing an effective job at catching debris and are easily cleaned and replaced as required.

Shan

I think I'll follow you're example!

Now a question about your anthias. I just purchased 3 lyretail two weeks ago man they seem to be picky eaters. I tried to feed them formula 2 flake food but they'll have no part of that. They seem to eat cyclopeeze a little, and will eat frozen mysis. I try to fed three times a day, but I'm afraid they aren't eating enough. What do you feed? Any tricks or just not worry about it?

David Shaw

I found the Lyretail's to be more finicky eaters than the Bartlett's for some reason. The Lyretail's i had refused to eat anything, and i lost a couple of them and just the male survived.

When i introduced the Bartletts the male Lyretail i still had started copying their eating preferences for some strange reason. Now all the Anthea's i have eat anything i put into the tank! They all go crazy for cyclopeeze flakes when i introduced those (they weren't keen on the cyclopeeze power), previously to this they ignored flake food completely, once they got accustomed to the cyclopeeze flakes i then started feeding other flake foods and they now love those too.

I change what i feed them daily so they get used to eating a variety of foods. I rotate using Cyclopeeze flakes, new era flakes, small pellets and mysis. Some days i mix up a combo and they seem to love that too.

I keep the pumps on when i feed the fish and as soon as the food hits the water the go mad chasing for it. Making them "catch" the food seemed to stimulate a feeding response and worked better than letting the food float in the tank, as they often ignored it when i did that.

If they are eating Mysis then that's a good start, i think it's just a matter of getting them interested in the flakes now so they get a variety in their diet.

gumi7

David,

I see from a few posts back you've removed the black sponges and added purigen and carbon to the downflow section of the sump and have only reticulated foam or floss on the media tray. Does this change the wahter levels on either side of the sump? I know the float in return section will keep a constant 8 inches (assuming ATO is not empty), but what height is the left side?

Like others, I think your tank is amazing and hope to get my 500 running like yours.

Thanks for all the tips/tricks/advise.

gumi7

David Shaw

Hi Gumi7

The 3 layers of reticulated foam have not altered the levels in the pump return area or any other area of the sump, and i make sure the levels are right when i do my water change.

I do weekly water changes by syphoning out and into the kitchen sink (20%) and then using a pump and container in the kitchen to pump the water back into the tank. Now i get no more wet carpets!

I have put a black marking on the pipe out of the tank so i know when the right amount has drained out. I then add 95% of new water back in and switch everything back on. When all the pumps and skimmer are switched back on I then make sure the levels are just under 8 inches in the pump return area and add then top up with the remaining 5% or so into the left hand return main pump area to bring the water level back up to an exact 8 inches. This way i know that exactly the right amount is added back in to what was removed. The levels then never change all week from 8 inches as long as the ATO is filled. The level in the right hand side is about 9 1/2 inches or so.

I have marked an arrow onto the front glass of the main pump return area so i have an at a glance view of the correct level. I cut to size and change the reticulated foam every week before i switch the pumps and skimmer back on. Then when i add the last 5% i can get the levels spot on.

Hope all this makes sense? Thanks for your kind comments!

If you need any further info, just let me know.

David Shaw

Just a quick update. I am so happy with the 500. Thanks running silently and efficiently, I have happy fish and growing corals well.

Water tests today all good apart from the Alk and Ca so have dosed accordingly and am daily dosing buffer to raise it from 6 to 8. Nitrates now down to < 1 from 20.

I will try to post some pics over the weekend so you can see how things are looking.