Daniel's tank upgrade to RSM 250

Oxylebius

I don't know for sure if what is happening is due to coral chemical warfare, but running carbon would help w/pulling any chemicals the corals are releasing from the water. If you have any on hand, rinse it really well and place in the tank. Low flow area in sump is fine. Activated carbon naturally pulls toxins from the water, you don't have to have it in high flow.

Danreef

Ok Oxy.... so what I will do, if you agree (we have the same tank), to avoid touching the refugium that is going OK again (no more Chaeto dying), I will wash very well the carbon bag from Red Sea and and will place it in the left return chamber. The pump there is an Eheim 3000 that is pulling water from that chamber to go through the chiller and returning back to the tank.

Or it will be better over the black sponge on the left side where is pump #1.

My question is: has the water to be pushed through the bag (like if the carbon bag where in an enclosed system and water has to go through it). Or will be OK if just part of the flow goes through it ?

Thanks
Daniel

Ps: I read your thread in the plane today and how the carbon fine particles have affected your fish. I hope he recover.

PS 2: I call home a few minutes ago and family told me that there was no change in the coral. At least they see it with the same aspect as yesterday. With this situation, those are good news !!!!

Oxylebius

Sorry I'm only on for a few hours each night. Can't log in during the day at work. So you are getting info slowly from me. At this point you may want to consider several options.

Chaeto dying? What? Algae have lots of allelopathic compounds. When did you first start to see it dying? Does this correlate w/when you first saw issues in the monti digi?

As others have mentioned in posts above, look for monti nudibranchs. It sounds like you have already had a run in with them, so you know to look late at night a couple hours after lights off.

As you know I was also having some monti digi issues, which started last spring after adding a bunch of new corals to my tank, including my first softies and chalices. My tank was sps only for 2yrs leading up to adding these new corals. My monti digis went downhill. They are slowly making a recovery still. I believe it had to do with allelopathy, the extra compounds that were brought into the tank from the new corals. Softies are known to release allelopathic compounds, lots of research has been done on them. According to Borneman, in his book "Aquarium Corals", certain soft corals are specifically "toxic" to Acropora species and may also have similar affects on other hard corals.

What you can do is make sure your Alk/Ca/mg are in balance and at the correct amounts. Make sure you nitrates and phosphates are low. These will only complicate the problem. And then do this combo: First move the monti away from the stinging poci (and any other corals that are known to have stinging sweepers). This would only exacerbate the issues this coral is dealing with. It's definitely not helping the coral. You can also make liberal use of activated carbon, Poly Filter, and water changes...All this presumes that other parameters are acceptable for SPS corals! A bag of carbon can just sit in a sump area, carbon has an affinity to pull compounds out of the water, the water doesn't have to actively move through it (but actively moving through it would make it more efficient).

Danreef

Arrived from my trip and things are worst. More SPS are retracting their polyps.

I have seen also a slow growth or not growth at all in the corals. My PH shifted from 8.2 during the day to 8.25. So I measured Alk and Ca at my return from the trip. alk was 11.5 dkh and Ca 460 ppm. I asume that: (a) the dosing pumps need a recalibration or (b) the lack of growth in coral, so not use of alk/Ca for the skeletons, makes alk/Ca acumulate in the water, increasing their levels.

So.....these are my actions

A) I reduced the pumps dosing time. And will check later their flow rate.

B) I will do a 30-40 % water change.

C) I will cut the branch of the monti coral touching the policipora coral.

D) yesterday evening, at my arrival, added 1 of the carbon bags that came with the tank, in the media racket.

Thank you Oxy !!!!

Daniel

Danreef

OKAY..........summary of the weekend:

Thursday:
- Added 1 bag of activated charcoal, out of 2 that Red Sea provides with the tank.

Friday :
Noon:
-20 G water change (if the tank has 50G after rocks/sand that is equivalent to 40%
6PM:
- Alk 11 dKh
- Ca 445 ppm
Stopped dosing pumps.

Saturday:
- added 1 bag of Kent Marine phosphate sponge
- PO4 0.28 ppm (Petco new salt water 0.04 ppm)
- Alk 10 dKh
- Ca 430 ppm
No dosing. Alk dropped 1 dkh in 24 hours

Sunday:
- PO4 0.24
- NO3 : 0 ppm
- NH3/NH4 (ammonia): 0 ppm
- Alk 8.8 dKh (~9 dKh)
- Ca 430 ppm
No dosing. Alk dropped 2 dkh in 48 hours

Salinity: 1026
Temperature: 79-80 F

I will leave the dosing pumps off for 24 hours more. I would like to have the dKh like before between 7-8.

Corals looks OK and the coral of posting #152 (above) still same aspect. Could be that is a good signal.

What worries me also is that I have seen a polyp extension reduction in almost all Acros (slowly, during the last 2-3 months) and a significant reduction in growing. I have read that PO4 slow down coral growing. Make sense because my phosphates are high for what people normally target. But as you can see in the values, PO4 have not gone down in 24 hours after adding the Kent Marine phosphate sponge.

Well.........that's all folks.

Cheers
Daniel

Danreef

Since Friday that I stopped the dosing pumps, today, Alk was at 7 dkh and Ca at 400 ppm. Alk decay was in the order of 1 dkh/day.

After 1 year the pumps still have a dosing rate of 1.4 ml/min. I tested them today.

I decided to start again with the recommende dose of Kent Marine and will see what happens.

Corals looks better now. The tank has the Kent Marine phosphate sponge (1 bag), 1 bag of charcoal and 1 division with Chaeto (upper section) of the media rack.

I will measure phosphate tomorrow.

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:

Danreef

No changes on this coral in the last weeks independently of a 2 hours light reduction.

This one has now better polyp extensign

Full tank

Oxylebius

So, is your assessment that the phosphate is too high?

I'm also thinking the Alk might have something to do with this also. You mentioned that Alk was too high. Do you think the corals were reacting to it in a negative way? Did you plan to have the Alk at 11, if so how long has it been that high. Why bring it back down to 7-8 (which you commented was where you used to have it, how long ago was that?).

Danreef

So, is your assessment that the phosphate is too high?

I'm also thinking the Alk might have something to do with this also. You mentioned that Alk was too high. Do you think the corals were reacting to it in a negative way? Did you plan to have the Alk at 11, if so how long has it been that high. Why bring it back down to 7-8 (which you commented was where you used to have it, how long ago was that?).

Nice questions Oxy. Let me see if I can answer them......

Since I started the SPS tanks (first the 12G and later coral moved to the RSM250), I have always been dealing with "Low Alk" around 7 dkh. For me that wasn't "Low", but membranes from other forums told me several times I need to increase it to at least 8-9 dkh. The bottom line is that I never tried to increase it, just to keep it. Why I never tried ? because corals looks happy at 7 dkh. My Ca at those moments was always around 350-380 ppm.

Well, after 10 months of the SPS in the 12G at those levels of Alk and Ca the coral were relocated to the big tank (RSM250). On this tank, I was able to adjust the Alk at ~8 and sometimes I measured it and was at ~9. Lets say 8-9 dKh. Ca was always at 380 ppm.

I was always using Petco NSW.

I never measured Phosphates. To tell you 100% the true, I do not remember, until now, when was the last time I did a full set of measurements in a tank. Neither when I cycled previous tanks. I just look the changes in the tank and you know where you are in the cycle. Bottom line, I measured phosphates on the RSM250, Ammonia, NO3, etc, when I started to see changes in the corals .

Back to the point...... I started to see small changes. Corals where not so happy. So I decided to buy new Red Sea kits, and I found that the Ca was too low, really low. At that point I was seeing some changes in the corals, but they continue growing. I did a lot of testing using Salifert, Red Sea and API kits to finally decide that my old Red Sea Ca kit has an issue and I trashed it.

I leveled the Ca back to 380-400 ppm and started to fight some STN (you have read those postings). Something has to be wrong. So I got the full set of classical water quality measurements kits. Among those was the API phosphate kit. Suddenly....WOW I discover that phosphates where high. I ordered the Hanna kits for Phosphorus ULR, Alkalinity and Ca. The results of the Phosphorus kit in ppb need to be multiply by 3.066 and divided by 1000 to get Phosphates in ppm. WOW...confirmation of the API kit...Phosphates were high.

Around this time Alk was ~9-10 dkh . Why it was high ? if corals grew significantly since I relocated them and I never changed the dosing rate. Could be the dosing pumps have an issue ? , but I discarded that because I counted the same amount of drops in the time period the pumps were working as months ago.

Started to focus in the Phosphates. Reduced the food to half (every other day), stopped adding coral food (phyto, aminoacids, etc). A couple of weeks passed and nothing, Phosphates still high. But my surprise was that ALK jumped to 11-12 dkh. At this point, almost all the corals had reduced polyp extension and they looked very unhappy. The red planet, that never had a reduction in polyp extension, now polyps were retracted. I also observed a reduction in coral growth

I stopped the dosing pumps. Let the Alk go down to 7-8 dkh and started the dosing pumps yesterday.

One hour ago I measured:

PO4: 0.18 ppm
Alk: 7.6 dKh
Ca: 400 ppm

I can tell you that the Red Planet coral has now (after these 4 days that the Alk was going down slowly) the same polyp extension as before. And other Acros started to extend also the polyps. Not yet as in the good times, but I can see they look happier.

My Hypothesis, as of today and in lieu of what I am seeing, is this one:

The Phosphates are high. I don't know since when, but there was a point, that I started to see a reduction in growth to an almost stop in many acros. If Phosphates interfere with coral calcification, it make sense that " High PO4 >> Low Coral growth >> increase in ALK >> coral issues" .

If there is no use of Alk, because coral are not using Calcium Carbonate for the skeletons, I will assume that the alk level will slowly raise in the tank. Dosing pumps are always dosing XX amount, doesn't matter if it was or wasn't used. I am not a Chemist, so I am really not sure if this is true. But make sense to me. In the same way, I also measured a Ca increase.

If I confirm in the following days/weeks that there is a real improvement in the corals and the PO4 levels do not go down, then I will say, with certainty, that Alk at 11-12 dKh, in my tank conditions, was affecting "coral happiness".

Sorry........answer too long.

Cheers
Daniel

PS; OXY.....How long was that ? you asked. I will say that all the changes started around August/September but I do not have a precise point of reference to know when the Alk started to increase. I do not measure it each week or every other week. Neither when the PO4 increased, because I never measured it in years in my other tanks. Less in this one, until I saw issues with the corals.

Oxylebius

And you still have chaeto in the tank? When was it dying off? I wonder if that corresponds w/phosphate increasing.

Danreef

And you still have chaeto in the tank? When was it dying off? I wonder if that corresponds w/phosphate increasing.

Chaeto started to die in September. When I posted this thread: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/marine-algae-plants/92696-my-cheato-not-growing.html#post1271339.

Some days after I posted the thread, I replaced my left over Chaeti with new one. At the same point I started to feed every day the fish. To increase PO4 to avoid Chaeto dying.

The new Chaeto was not dying but neither was growing, like my first batch of Chaeto. when I started the tank. That was fantastic growth.

Now I have a ball of Chaeto and another macro in the upper level of the media rack.

Could be that the dying Chaeto is one of the factors affecting my coras ?

Do you suggest to trash the Chaeto I have now and only leave the other macro ?

Thanks
Daniel

Ps: I started to measure PO4 in November.

Oxylebius

I believe Chaeto is supposed to be very efficient at pulling PO4 out of the water (but perhaps I'm misremembering that with nitrate :ponder2: ). But, with two types of algae I don't understand why you are having PO4 issues. No need to pull the algae out. But, algae may have been a contributing factor, algae also gives off allelopathic compounds. But you are running carbon now, so you don't have to worry about it.

Danreef

UPDATE

This weekend I went to a reef coral local shop that have good measurements kit/equipment and took a sample of the Petco NSW and from my tank.

PETCO

Alk ... 8 dKh
Ca ... 450 ppm
Mag... 1200
PO4 ... 0.07
salinity...1024

My tank

Alk... 8 dkh
Ca ... 450 ppm
Mag.. 1200
PO4... 0.07
salinity.. 1024-1026 (I can't remember the precise #)

I was very happy seeing that my PO4 was now low. Last time, 2 weeks ago, was ~0.20 ppm when I decided to add Chemipure Elite.

Corals started to improve !!!!. But there was a casualty due to the Alk spike. This one is gone !!!! But saved a couple of frags :) I hope those recover.

Danreef

Let see if this movie can be seen :

[video=youtube_share;L-Wv2jXnmVM]http://youtu.be/L-Wv2jXnmVM[/video]

Tomorrow I will add individual pictures

Daniel