Damsel, lunar wrasse, and red lipped blenny

I am thinking about saving these fish from a guy who is getting married and his wife told him they have to go. He is giving them away to a good home and I would like to be able to provide them with that home, but I know almost nothing about the wrasse and blenny :dunno: . I only have one fish in the system they would go in and it is a Sailfin Tang (I just got him yesterday:square: ). Has anyone had experience with lunar wrasses or red lipped blennys? I have red that that the wrasse could be aggressive and that scares me a little. He said that they have been in his system for about 4 months.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
What size tank do you have?

Lyretail Wrasse (aka Lunare Wrasse)
(Thalassoma lunare)

Minimum Tank Size: 125 gallons
Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Aggressive
Reef Compatible: No
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
Max. Size: 10"
Color Form: Blue, Red, Yellow
Diet: Carnivore
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Coral Sea, Fiji, Maldives
Family: Labridae

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Oh I say no sir.

• A) Tank is still young
  • B) Tank(s) are to small for the Wrasse and the Tang
  • C) A & B

1Reefer

The red lipped blenny would be fine, I'm not a big fan of damsels but he would be ok too. I am a fan of rescuing fish in need, so props to you there. If its a fish only 80 and a very small lunar you might be ok for awhile. I might suggest taking them all for now and then whatever doesn't work out you can trade to a LFS, you should be able to get store credit.

1Reefer

I think he already has the tang Allen, but I do agree with you. It will get too big for that system..... you see this with tangs a lot. I did forget about the tang when I suggested taking the lunar for now, that is probably not the best of ideas. Sorry

Yeah I do know the tang will outgrow the system, but he is only a juvi and when he gets larger I will be finding him a new home. It is only about 4in long right now and I am aware that they get BIG most reaching up to 15in. I just want to make sure I know what I am doing in terms of getting these fish from this guy. I see it best to not get the wrasse, but I kinda just wanted the blenny anyway.
While I am also aware that my 80 gallon system is only 2 months old and is still young, I test water parameters every other day to make sure all they stay in check, and so far for the past couple of weeks I have had very little to no change in water quality.
Salinity:1.024
PH:8.2
Alkalinity:10dkh
Calcium:460ppm
Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:less than 5ppm
MG:1250ppm
I also do 15 gallon water changes each week and also use reef vital dna as a supplement for the tanks twice a week.
I am taking the expensive route through doing this and not purchasing and "Cheap" equipment. I payed 7 bucks a lb for my LR and have 70lbs in at the moment with another order for 100lbs coming soon and believe me it is worth the extra money. I fly it in next day air in order to preserve as much life on the rock as possible. I spend most of my day reading through forums and searching the web for ways I could make my system better. I do not have a job and I take classes online so I have the time on my hands to make sure my inhabitants get the proper care they need. I am no beginner in the hobby, but I do not consider myself an expert in the hobby either.
I do find myself scouring through craigslist for equipment, but throughly do research on the stuff I buy before I purchase it.
Please also keep in mind that I have had a 30 gallon established system for almost 8 or 9 months now, so I am no "newbie" to the hobby.
So, not trying to sound like a little cry baby, I need to get that stuff off my chest before anyone makes any judgement that I do not know what I am doing.

I do appreciate help when it comes to questions I do not know much about like this one. :snshne:
Thanks for the input.

1Reefer

I wasn't trying to make youj feel new, or like youj didn't know what you were doing and I'm sorry if I did.

Yeah sorry for that little outburst there... not directed towards anyone specifically, but I just dont want anyone jumping to conclusions right away.

I am also not a fan of damsels either. I am taking mine back to the store today (3 stripped damsels) because they have been nothing but problems for the time I have had them (about 3 months). But if the guy is wanting to give away the fish I can return them for credit and keep the ones that I want. I will not be keeping the wrasse, but if the damsels do not work out then they will go also. I plan of keeping the blenny though.

BobBursek

I had a 4" Lunar Wrasse and he was the tank bully, and could not catch him, they will eat some crabs and snails and smaller fish. I took him out when I moved and had to tare down the tank, and I have seen some up to 12" long.