D. J.'s 40 gallon breeder reef

Creekview

I'm starting up another reef tank. It'll be the first I've had in several years. My goal is to build out a nice minimum maintenance tank using only captive culture fauna and flora, and do it using 90% dry rock. I've completed my shopping and am waiting for stuff to arrive. Since I'm retired now, I have more time to devote to the tank, and hopefully this thread will chronicle a successful build. I've chosen my vendors, some old some new. One thing I've noticed is that prices haven't changed much, or have gone down. I've gotten some great buys on some stuff.

Here are some specs and the sources:

Aqueon 40 gallon all-glass breeder - LFS
6x39w T-5 fluorescent fixture w/built-in digital timer - eBay
Aquaclear 110 with refugium conversion connected to Hagen surface skimmer - eBay
Aquaclear 110 for mechanical/chemical filtration - eBay
Fluval C-4 for additional bio-filtration - amazon.com
60 lbs Carib sea Seaflor special aragonite - LFS
10 lbs Carib sea Geo-marine crushed coral - LFS
50 lbs dry rock - Marcorocks.com
Instant Ocean salt mix

I'm sure that some folks would recommend some different configurations of various things. I welcome those comments and suggestions. I've kept salt and fresh since the late 1960's. I've had as many as 10 active at one time, a few over 150 gallons. I graduated in '73 with a BS in Marine Ecology, minor in conservation biology. Dove florida reefs when they were still pristine...... :-(
One observation is that every tank is an experiment, at least for me. One of the goals of this experiment is to eliminate anything that is sourced directly from the wild. Another is to achieve a low maintenance, stable environment. I'm using HOB filters instead of canisters. Canisters are a pain in the butt and require sloppy maintenance frequently. I have always over-filtered. The configuration of 2 Aquaclear 110s either side of a Fluval C-4 does that nicely, and is the maximum number I could physically hang. Had to trim the rim lip just a little on either side, but they'll fit. Have used a 110 converted to a refugium on my last salt, a 37 gallon. Worked great! I have my own twist on it, and I'll post some pics when I do it. The 110's should be here Friday, along with the light. I'll post a few pics of the dry rock that came today. Marco Rocks rocks! What I received is amazing!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Cheers for starting a tank thread & sharing your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Singlefin

Drill it!! Glass-holes overflow with a 20L sump is my suggestion. Adds water volume for stability, larger fuge, cone skimmer, and makes water changes super easy. Hides equipment. Exactly what you want. Stability and easy. Good luck with your build.

Creekview

I've done drilled tanks, wet/dry fuges, etc. I'm going for mostly soft corals, just a few fish, no more than 3-4. The way I run my filtration I should be fine. I use both chemi-pure elite and Purigen for chemical stability. I'll have 60 plus pounds of live rock once it populates. I've run high bio-load systems with over-filtering using a combination of mechanical, biological and chemical water treatment very similar to what I'm doing this time. My longest up time was 7 years. If not, I'll hook up a big fuge with skimmer, etc. Have all the gear from other tanks and previous experiments. I want this one to be as easy to maintain as possible, and HOB's can be lifted off and taken to the sink. Like I said, this is an experiment. Having a salt tank is like having a home-built hot rod. They're never finished. :eek:lsmile:

Creekview

Posting photo of Marco Rocks largo dry rock. Very nice, very light. Sizzled when I washed it, so it seems to be very porous.

creekview-albums-d-j-s-40-gallon-breeder-reef-project-picture24378-img-0098.JPG

AJ REEF

I like your way of thinking. Though I would opt for a protein skimmer with your low maintenance theme There are some decent HOB models now. Or use water changes for nutrient export. I agree Marco Rocks Rocks! Great stuff and way too easy.
When you say soft corals, are you planning a zoa garden, or do you have other ideas? You have enough light to do anything.

Creekview

I was going with xenias and a zoa garden with some leathers. I'm limiting fish to a pair of clownfish, a goby/pistol shrimp pair, and maybe one more. I love when clowns pair up with xenias and leathers. So much easier than trying to maintain anemonies. I have a couple of kits coming from GARF, a diversity kit and a refugium kit, plus 10 lbs of their finest live rock. I love their stuff. They'll be where I get my xenias and some of the other soft corals, as well as inverts. After the tank cycles, I'll add some interesting inverts.

I have a big venturi skimmer I can deploy at about 4 months, though I don't expect to have much surplus protein. I'm still figuring out how to deploy the Hagen surface skimmer. My intent is to feed the Aquaclear refugium with the intake from the Hagen surface skimmer. I usually trim impeller blades to slow down the flow when I convert an Aquaclear, but the skimmer has a much smaller intake tube that adapts to the Aquaclear intake. We'll see how it works. I monitor water chemistry very closely, and figure out optimum water changes. My intent is to have a very light fish load, so very light feeding given the water volume should help with stability. I also feed with live food as often as I can. I'll have a brine shrimp factory running once I add the fish.

AJ REEF

Not to be a pessimist, But I don't know if I would even mess with a venturi skimmer in this situation. Between the narrow Hagen surface skimmer and from what I recall venturi skimmers can be tough to get dialed in. You are probably better off with your original plan.

I like the coral ideas. But if you really wanted an anemone. I would suggest a bubble tip. I have had some over the years and they are quite hardy.( once settled)

I'm looking forward to your progress. Should prove to be an interesting system. :)

Creekview

Well, one of the Aquaclear's showed up last night, so I've got one AQ110 and the Fluval C-4 running. Water is clearing up nicely. Salt is in, SeaFlor is in, a 4 in bed with a little crushed coral spread around for aesthetics. Rock is piled in, but not 'scaped yet. I really, really like the largo dry rock I got. Lots of nooks and crannies, and extremely light and porous. Stacks well, and due to its surface irregularities, it is easy to "lock" the pieces together. 50 pounds plus the ten live coming from GARF will be just about right for this sized tank. Tomorrow the lights, the other AQ110, and hopefully the kits from GARF will be here and we can kick this puppy into gear!!

Henryw25

Posting photo of Marco Rocks largo dry rock. Very nice, very light. Sizzled when I washed it, so it seems to be very porous.

creekview-albums-d-j-s-40-gallon-breeder-reef-project-picture24378-img-0098.JPG

Wow! I love that rock! I was looking for something similar for my 40 gal breeder. Could you tell me some info about this rock?

And welcome to RS!!

Henryw25

Wow! I love that rock! I was looking for something similar for my 40 gal breeder. Could you tell me some info about this rock?

And welcome to RS!!

I didn't fully read that first post with the info until now, sorry about that! Are you liking or having any issues with the rock?

Creekview

I really like this stuff. Marcorocks.com. It's very high in calcium, dropped a little chunk in vinegar and it fizzed like crazy. I rinsed all of it off with fresh water and it sizzled like high grade carbon does when you first wet it. Lots of micropores for all those good bacteria. I ended up with about 3 pounds of rubble due to minor breakage in shipping. Some of it will go in the 'fuge, the rest I like to pile in a corner of the tank as a hiding place for little critters. I'm anxious to see how quickly it purples up.

Second AquaClear 110 showed up tonite, so I now have both AquaClears and the Fluval C-4 running. This baby is CLEAR if you know what I mean!! 800 GPH in a 40 gallon.......20 turns an hour. I'm running the standard foam and carbon in the AquaClears for now. The Fluval has a full kit of Chemi-Pure Elite. My next task is to modify an intake tube for the left-most AquaClear for the Hagen surface skimmer. This AquaClear will be the refugium. I think that since the tubing on the skimmer is much smaller than the AquaClear intake tube I won't have to trim the impeller to slow down the flow. I know you're not supposed to starve a pump on the inlet side, but worst case I can trim the impeller too.

Left to arrive are the lights, the koralia 240's, and the kits from GARF. All should arrive tomorrow, so we'll have some bio-activity soon. :yup:

JoeCanada11

Great project I am looking forward to following this one. I love the concept. The rock looks and sounds like alot of what I am using in my tank for dry rock. Very fizzy and easy to lock in place. Tonnes of hiding for the microfauna.

Creekview

The way it looks reminds me of salt tanks back in the 70's....bleached coral, no inkling of live rock or bioload management. Just water changes...... Don't miss hauling water in from the Gulf Stream in 55 gallon drums.......Do miss collecting specimens, not so much the collecting, but the diving on what were pristine reefs off Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.

Creekview

Well, I'm very concerned about the order I placed with GARF. Over $200 spent, and absolutely no sign of my order. Not a single response to numerous emails, phone calls, etc. In researching whether others are having problems, I found out that the founder, LeRoy Headlee, has passed away. I can't determine who is there, have received one email from a Sally Peters responding to an inquiry before I placed the order. She assured me they were still in business and taking orders. I'm hoping against hope that I've not been ripped off. Just a word of caution to others. I had ordered from them many times in the past, and I was tolerant of their eccentricities because they were doing good work, but this time has been nothing but frustrating. :(

Creekview

Finally heard from Sally at GARF. Don't know if it's the Sally Jo, the wife of the founder or not. Goes by a different last name, Peters. I've been assured it was shipped USPS priority, but no date of shipment or tracking number. Guess I'll have to wait and see. I always try to give folks the benefit of the doubt, but if you're going to engage in an Internet business, taking folks' money is only one part of the equation. Responding to emails in a timely fashion is not an option, IMHO........

AJ REEF

Usually when I get to feeling like that. The package shows up that very day. Hopefully you have a similar experience. :)

Looking forward to seeing your box of goodies once they arrive.