Cycling Help

fishhook007

I have a 29 gal. biocube. I started cycling my tank about a week and a half ago by putting a deli shrimp into the tank. I was for sure that the ammonia would have spiked by now and it hasn't even started yet. Is that normal or is there something that i could do to get it started?

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
It often takes 7-10 days for the ammonia to build up. Alot of the cycle time depends on what you put in as an ammonia source, but as much or more depends on what kind of rock/sand you put in. If its Live rock, from an established tank, shipped wet, or purchased at a LFS, it will cycle much faster. Same for sand. if you use Dry rock, ie Marco rocks or lace rock, the cycle takes a while to get started.

As for speeding it up, or getting it going well, I've used a product called Stability by SeaChem. I've cycled 90% dry rock tanks in 14 days with it, dosing by the directions. I also add 1cap to 20g water every time i add a new fish, to help with ammonia spikes. Its a bacterial additive. It adds nitrifying bacteria which soon colonize the rock/sand.

But nothing trumps patience. Cycling a tank is boring, but its critical to the long term health of your fish/inverts/corals.

theplantman

did you use fully cured live rock from an established system?, if you did you will need to be patient because it has the bacteria already in it to break down ammonia. Test for nitrites and nitrates, if they are on the rise then you have already had the ammonia spike and may have missed it. Also, if you are running any carbon filtration or any other media that removes dissolved organics, pull them from the tank. They would be slowing down the cycle by removing them before the bacteria get a chance to develop and do their job. Filter media like that are only supplements to your main filtration system which is your live rock and sand, and either a protein skimmer or Algae Scrubber. (Both of the later should be off until you see the ammonia spike or know it has occurred as well.)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Fishhook :wave:
:welcomera to Reef Sanctuary!
My tank cycle took a couple of weeks to start also.
A couple of things that helped me to have more patience was to start a thread here, post pictures (after 5 posts, you can do that :) ) and get advise from others who are very willing to help.
I added a ANOTHER DELI SHRIMP upon good advice given...You might try that. :idea:
Just know that your tank DOES NEED to cycle BEFORE you add livestock (fish & corals)
Hang in there and be patient....It's worth the wait to do it right.
hope to see ya start a thread in the reef chronicle forum :biker

badladd

Michael, your advise sounds reasonable, but I left my carbon filtration in as instructed by the RS, also instructed to leave skimmer on but it doesn't seem to be producing much foam anyway. I started my new Max 250 2.5 weeks ago with fully cured liverock (covered with purple corraline) and "ive-sand but have not seen any significant levels of ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite yet. Brown algae came on strong the 2nd week but now seems to be calming down. Guess I'll take a sample to my LFS and talk to them. I started with a deli shrimp (does it matter if it's shelled or not?) but my LFS guy said it wasn't necessary because of the bacteria already in the sand he provided. I know, patience, testing, patience, testing....

Last edited:

theplantman

Michael, your advise sounds reasonable, but I left my carbon filtration in as instructed by the RS, also instructed to leave skimmer on but it doesn't seem to be producing much foam anyway. I started my new Max 250 2.5 weeks ago with fully cured liverock (covered with purple corraline) and "ive-sand but have not seen any significant levels of ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite yet. Brown algae came on strong the 2nd week but now seems to be calming down. Guess I'll take a sample to my LFS and talk to them. I started with a deli shrimp (does it matter if it's shelled or not?) but my LFS guy said it wasn't necessary because of the bacteria already in the sand he provided. I know, patience, testing, patience, testing....

If you are seeing brown algae, that means your cycle is going well. Those are diatoms and a natural part of the cycle. Because of using the fully cured live rock, your tank already has enough beneficial bacteria to convert the ammonia and nitrites which is why you are not seeing them. You should be seeing some level of Nitrates as a result, this is what the diatoms are feeding off of.

Once the diatoms start showing up is when I typically like to add my cleanup crew, this is normally around day 15 of the cycle with cured live rock. Uncured or dry typically takes longer, uncured because there is more dead material to process, dry because it takes time to build up the bacteria base to take care of tank with livestock and that is being fed. This should only be a partial crew maybe 1 snail per 3 gallons and 1 hermit (either scarlet reef or blue leg) per 8 gallons. I give them two weeks to clean up the diatoms and any hair algae that grows and then add my first corals and fish. Keep in mind my timeframes are base on using fully cured live rock which I prefer.

Your skimmer is not pulling any skimmate because other than the shrimp, there are no organics to be removed at this time, and keep in mind, carbon is designed to remove organic material. You are trying to add organic material to start your cycle, hence carbon IMO is a hindrance to the process. I turn on my skimmer 10 days into my cycle, once ammonia has spiked, it still does not have anything to really remove, but this allows for a 3 week break in before corals and fish enter the tank. I don't even think about adding any carbon, purigen or gfo until 2-3 months into the tank, mainly because if you have a properly sized skimmer or ATS, are performing routine water changes, your tank should not have enough livestock in it to require the additional filtration supplements. Remember, we are starting and stocking slowly to allow the tank to mature and keep pace with the increased bio-loads. Hence stock and wait, stock and wait.

I hope this helps and all makes sense.

fishhook007

Yeah i have cured live rock. I tested for Nitrates and nothing came up. i also have the filter in it but ill take that out. Its been 11 days since I put the deli shrimp in. And I also have some brown algae. So just keep waiting?

theplantman

I cannot remember the filter set up on a biocube, I think it is one of their filter pad inserts, am I correct? Also what type of test kit are you using? How many pounds of live rock? I put about 26 lbs in my Solana which is 34 gallon, plus a 3-4" sand bed and my ammonia took about 4-5 days to hit 2 and then another 5 days to hit 4 after that it shot down very quick and by day 13 was negligible. Then Nitrates went through the roof, so 50% water change and added the cleanup crew on day 15. That is another point, you should not do any water changes while cycling until you are ready to stock the CUC. If you are, you are removing the nitrates.

steved13

PREMIUM
Yeah i have cured live rock. I tested for Nitrates and nothing came up. i also have the filter in it but ill take that out. Its been 11 days since I put the deli shrimp in. And I also have some brown algae. So just keep waiting?

Yes "just keep waiting"...and testing.

You need to establish a bacteria colony to convert waste, from Ammonia to Nitrite and the nitrate. No matter how well cured, it is extremely unlikely the bacteria which convert nitrite to nitrate are present. Therefore until nitrate appears nothing has been converted. You should see ammonia rise and then fall and then nitrite rise and fall and nitrate rise, and then the nitrate wioll be exported through water changes. You can leave whatever filtration you intend to run in the tank going through the cycle. It's not necessary, but you can, and I prefer to. I would rather develop the bacteria with the same filtration which will be in operation.

With "cured live rock" it is possible, the bacteria to convert the ammonia to nitrite, and/or the bacteria to convert nitrite to nitrate are present. so it's not a bad idea to test for all 3 and see what's going on. This is also a good time to get some testing practice and used to monitoring your system.