Cyano

Jody Siso

Hi. I have a 29 gal biocube, and from what I've been reading I have cyano. What caused this after 4 months? And How do I get rid of it? The only new addition to my tank is a banghai cardinal about a 3 weeks ago.

Frankie

RS STAFF
The most common way to introduce it is from toping off with tap water. If you don't have a good flow going in the tank it will spread fast. Quality fresh water and good flow will keep it at bay. Sorry to hear your dealing with it. Let me know if that info helps any.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
The skimmer will go crazy after the fact but when using the product the skimmer needs to be off until after the water change

fish wilson

with cyno there,s several reasons , 1 exactly what frankie referd to, not enough flow stagnet area,break down of ditrius bacteria thru the sand bed, now with a combo of tap water not enough flow and not stirring the sand bed reguarly, can cause this. the bacteria can be frustrating to get rid of. there are ways to get rid of it with out chemicals, water changes with ro water some gravel vaccing and changing flow, you can also get a tiger cowery snail and they will mow thru it. i find that by having a preaty good load of sand snails will keep it stirred up.now cyno can spread to corals some corals can die from suffacation, but i have noticed from experimenting that some corals can get some nourishment from it. thanks fish

Frankie

RS STAFF
You should stir the upper layer and keep it from binding up like Fish posted. the best way to do that is have sand dwelling critters that will do it continually. I would not penetrate the sand with a tool more then an inch deep. It also depends on how deep your sand is in the first place.

burning2nd

water quialty is the cause,

Rodi water changes
watch your food
more flow,
suck it out with water changes

its something we all go thur

Rcpilot

Has been struck by the ban stick
I think cyano is just something most of us deal with right around the 3-6 month mark. It happened to me at about 4 months.

I sucked it off the rock with a gravel vac and started running some carbon in my fuge. I run about 1 cup of carbon in a media bag. I just dropped it into the return box on my HOB fuge. I change it every 6 weeks. No more cyano.

Totally agree with the water changes. Stay on top of them. Use good RO water. Get some nassarius snails for the sandbed. I have a few in my 30g. Also a watchman goby that is constantly sifting the top layer.

burning2nd

when i got it... it was on the sand mostly... in the corners.... but there where a few new rocks that i had added... (i dont know if this is just me or not) but on a bunch of the new rocks (at that time) had cyano blanket's waveing in the wind....

2 of the rocks i left alone cause the cyano looked cool blowing (flaping like a flag) and later on after i defeated the algae, under was a nice dark coraline algae..... the cyano really started that rock..

tbittner

with cyno there,s several reasons , 1 exactly what frankie referd to, not enough flow stagnet area,break down of ditrius bacteria thru the sand bed, now with a combo of tap water not enough flow and not stirring the sand bed reguarly, can cause this. the bacteria can be frustrating to get rid of. there are ways to get rid of it with out chemicals, water changes with ro water some gravel vaccing and changing flow, you can also get a tiger cowery snail and they will mow thru it. i find that by having a preaty good load of sand snails will keep it stirred up.now cyno can spread to corals some corals can die from suffacation, but i have noticed from experimenting that some corals can get some nourishment from it. thanks fish

Depending on the purpose of the sand bed, you should most likely never stir the sand bed.

ronfox

About 4 months into my tank setup, 29 gallon biocube also, I has an outbreak of cyano also. I did not know that is what it was called until today. I knew it was algae. I rode it out for about a month and added a sand sifting starfish and 2 mexican grazers. I did not add any chemicals, nature took its course I think, of I just got lucky but it is now gone. I had it on my sand bed only in the back right corner and the back left corner, also a little in the front left corner. This is where the flow is the weakest. Hope some of this helps.