Cutting down acrylic tank for a frag tank

Mdk16

I recently upgraded to a larger system and was thinking about cutting down my old tank and fabricating a frag tank.

The tank is a Tenecor 110 gallon constructed out of 1/2" acrylic with rounded corners and a center overflow.

One of the reasons I upgraded was that the tank started to craze on the anterior panel shortly after I received it. Most likely due to water pressure. It's 30" tall and I believe it should have been made with 5/8-3/4" instead of 1/2".

The crazing starts at about the 10" mark from the bottom of the tank. I've sold most of the other components and I'm left with the stand and tank because the tank really is not usable as a DT.

My thought is if I cut it down at the 10" mark, it would make a nice frag tank. Then it will probably be easier to sell or if I can find a place for it I would keep it.

Has anyone cut an acrylic tank in half?

Could I use a circular saw with a plastic blade? How best to finish the edges? The most difficult part will be the center overflow?

Is a 10" depth good? Would anyone suggest cross bracing? The tank would be 48"x18"x10"

Thank you.

Mike Johnson

I'd suggest 12" deep. Cutting the tank is not a big deal. Using a router with a cutting bit would probably be best. Or you can use a circular saw with a finish blade (like, 60 tooth). Does it have cross bracing on it now?

kyle4201

If you have access to a good table saw it would be worth it to get some help with moving the tank , set up a guide (jig) to keep every cut flat and your 1st cut meeting up with your final cut.

Mdk16

I'd suggest 12" deep. Cutting the tank is not a big deal. Using a router with a cutting bit would probably be best. Or you can use a circular saw with a finish blade (like, 60 tooth). Does it have cross bracing on it now?

Yes it has a sealed top with two access holes

Mdk16

If you have access to a good table saw it would be worth it to get some help with moving the tank , set up a guide (jig) to keep every cut flat and your 1st cut meeting up with your final cut.

Thanks Kyle. Are you volunteering to help. I'm only 30 min away?

kyle4201

HECK YEA! !! bring ur tank. I have the table saw . :) we will start with a much higher cut to make sure that it works OK and if that goes well then we can drop it down and cut it where you want it. Always nice to have a little extra material to practice on. :)I also have a router that we can set up and make the top nice and rounded. I'll let you do all the sanding though. Lol

kyle4201

I sent you my phone number.my reef mother Diana K keeps telling me not to post it so I didn't. Lol she'll be so proud :)

kyle4201

I got your msg,, just let me know a few days early if you still need my help.,, I have fri and sat's off but my saw is at work, so if you want to do it ill have to bring the saw and stuff home on thursday. I hope you feel better soon. :) Now all I can think about is how to get the middle overflow cut 1 inch shorter than the outside:dunno: