Custom Clean Up Crews

johnmaloney

Hi everybody,

I have decided to start a thread to help build reef cleaning packages for everyone. However, feel free to start your own thread if this becomes clustered, or if you just feel like it. To make things easier, and to get you the best package let me know as much of the following that you feel like answering:

1. The size of your tank
2. Sandbed or bare bottom
3. Do you have fish, or inverts that you have to feed?
4. If so how many? (Or how many planned)
5. If you have fish, how often do you plan to feed them?
6. How many of those fish would you consider small, medium and large. (I consider a 6 inch fish as large, a medium is about 4 inches)
7. What is your current clean up crew like?
8. How old is your tank?
9. Do you prefer economy or diversity? (Not too much of a price difference)
10. Are you interested in water quality control items like mangroves?
11. About what percentage of your tank will be covered by rock?
12. Do you have a lid on your tank?
13. Do you want Priority Mail (tops $11.95), or Express Mail ($27.95). (Actual shipping may be lower if you don't need a heat pack, or if you qualify for free shipping) Chitons, Florida Fighting Conchs, and Limpets cannot be sent with Priority Mail, unless you live in Florida.

This will give me a good idea of what you need. You don't have to be 100% accurate, but the more accurate the answers the better the results. I will give you quotes on strong clean up crews that will make tank maintenance very simple. If you prefer a smaller package, (I have a friend that loves to clean algae- he was mad that the snails I gave him cleaned it all), please let me know, and I will adjust your CUC accordingly.

All the Best,
John Maloney
ReefCleaners.org

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Allen likes :) I'll bite....

1. The size of your tank 90g, 30g sump, 12g Fuge
2. Sandbed or bare bottom 1" - 2" SB
3. Do you have fish, or inverts that you have to feed? Both
4. If so how many? (Or how many planned) 6 Pajama Cardinals, 1 Royal Gamma, 1 Coral Beauty, 1 False PErc, 1 Neon Goby, Zoas, Frogspawn, 1 plate coral, and one Sand Sifting Star
5. If you have fish, how often do you plan to feed them? every other day or so
6. How many of those fish would you consider small, medium and large. (I consider a 6 inch fish as large, a medium is about 4 inches) most are small to very small....Coral Beauty is maybe 3" at most
7. What is your current clean up crew like? 4 Nassa snails, maybe 2 blue legged micro hermits, and maybe 2 stoma snails
8. How old is your tank? hmmmm maybe 3 months????
9. Do you prefer economy or diversity? (Not too much of a price difference) How about economical diversity *lol* I prefer diversity along with sustainability
10. Are you interested in water quality control items like mangroves? Yes but that's being handled via another source in my Fuge
11. About what percentage of your tank will be covered by rock? maybe 50% of the bottom
12. Do you have a lid on your tank? No tight fitting lid.. canopy yes
13. Do you want Priority Mail (tops $11.95), or Express Mail ($27.95). (Actual shipping may be lower if you don't need a heat pack, or if you qualify for free shipping) Chitons, Florida Fighting Conchs, and Limpets cannot be sent with Priority Mail, unless you live in Florida. Would like an idea BOTH ways if possible... if I want Chitons or Limpets (how do I know ? ) I would do Express Mail.

Thanks ahead of time :)

johnmaloney

Here is what I would recommend for your 90 gallon tank:

Express Mail: (Because of the Chitons and Limpets)

155 Dwarf Ceriths
30 Mixed Larger Ceriths
25 Planaxis
25 Nassarius
20 Nerites
10 Limpets
5 Chitons

Or if you want one of our larger Florida Fighting Conchs I would get this package: (Also Express Mail because of the Conch)

145 Dwarf Ceriths
25 Mixed Larger Ceriths
25 Planaxis
25 Nassarius
20 Nerites
10 Limpets
5 Chitons
1 Florida Fighting Conch

Or if you want a package that will be safe to send with Priority mail I would get this:

155 Dwarf Ceriths
30 Mixed Larger Ceriths
25 Planaxis
25 Nassarius
25 Nerites

Did you want a cleanup crew for the sump and fuge as well?

BarbMazz

Hi, John.. my tank will be set up in the next couple of weeks.. and I'll probably get some hoots and hollers for saying that :look: .. but I'd love an idea for a custom crew.

I have two different tank plans in mind. If you'd work up a crew for each plan that would be awesome.

The first plan is for an SPS/clam tank that would have a max of five small fish, two or three clams, and a variety of SPS corals. Down the road a-ways MAY be an anemone/clown trio.. but not for a year or so.

Tank plan two: An angler fish with assorted corals. Anglerfish of about 4". I don't know what can be kept with them that won't be eaten! I do love those fighting conch's.

1. The size of your tank 65g dt, 100g sump filled appr 60g, 20g fuge filled 12g
2. Sandbed or bare bottom dt 3" sb, fuge 4" sb, bb sump using sugar-size sand
3. Do you have fish, or inverts that you have to feed? see tank plans above
4. If so how many? (Or how many planned) see tank plans above
5. If you have fish, how often do you plan to feed them? anglerfish plan 1 or 2x p/wk, sps plan 1 or 2x p/day
6. How many of those fish would you consider small, medium and large. (I consider a 6 inch fish as large, a medium is about 4 inches) SPS plan all fish will be small/ Angler fish plan.. medium
7. What is your current clean up crew like? don't have one yet!
8. How old is your tank? still in utero
9. Do you prefer economy or diversity? (Not too much of a price difference) diversity
10. Are you interested in water quality control items like mangroves? not at this time
11. About what percentage of your tank will be covered by rock? dt 70%
12. Do you have a lid on your tank? canopy, and will cover with gutter guard for jumping
13. Do you want Priority Mail (tops $11.95), or Express Mail ($27.95). (Actual shipping may be lower if you don't need a heat pack, or if you qualify for free shipping) Chitons, Florida Fighting Conchs, and Limpets cannot be sent with Priority Mail, unless you live in Florida. express mail is fine; I live in Ohio

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here is what I would recommend for your 90 gallon tank:

Express Mail: (Because of the Chitons and Limpets)

155 Dwarf Ceriths
30 Mixed Larger Ceriths
25 Planaxis
25 Nassarius
20 Nerites
10 Limpets
5 Chitons

Or if you want a package that will be safe to send with Priority mail I would get this:

155 Dwarf Ceriths
30 Mixed Larger Ceriths
25 Planaxis
25 Nassarius
25 Nerites

Did you want a cleanup crew for the sump and fuge as well?

No thanks on the sump/Fuge. They are looking pretty good as is.

I do have a couple of thoughts.. that seems awfully "heavy" for my tank. Don't get me wrong I'm not correcting you but rather looking for more input. I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about tanks but my thoughts are that just seems heavy. Granted I could probably FEED more with that clean up crew.

I tried to go to the site to price these items but dang you were WAY serious when you said it was ssllloooowwwwwww..... you need to address that with your host bad bro!! ( I have a little bit of web/tech experience).

Thanks for your efforts.

Allen :)

PS

HEY Barb :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've tried several times to get further in the site but keep getting this error

The connection has timed out
"The server at reefcleaners.org is taking too long to respond."

Drop me a PM when it's back up and running. I'd like to get more information.

BarbMazz

There's another post somewhere here where he's said there having server problems today, and work's being done on it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Good news! Apparently someone got the message. It's much better now. Could be faster but I'm not complaining!!! My "shopping cart" seems to be working just fine!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't know HOW but that's some ridiculous pricing on my clean up crew!! I mean SICK even!!! If it were only PAYDAY it's also be ORDER DAY!! :)

nikkipigtails

1. The size of your tank 180 g DTand 75 g sump
2. Sandbed or bare bottom 3" sandbed
3. Do you have fish, or inverts that you have to feed? tank will be ready for living things in a month or so
4. If so how many? (Or how many planned) (what I already have) 1 monster bubble tip brittle star, a few hermits and snails, pair of percs, coral beauty and yellow tang...Planned: 2 large fish, 2-3 med and a few small. We have a few ideas, but nothing's set in stone yet. We're planning a mixed reef with good community fish.
5. If you have fish, how often do you plan to feed them? alternate frozen food and seaweed every day
6. How many of those fish would you consider small, medium and large. (I consider a 6 inch fish as large, a medium is about 4 inches) see no. 4
7. What is your current clean up crew like? I only have a few hermits and snails in a 47 gal tall
8. How old is your tank? will be brand new
9. Do you prefer economy or diversity? (Not too much of a price difference) can I get a little of both?
10. Are you interested in water quality control items like mangroves? I'm using chaeto in my fuge, so no
11. About what percentage of your tank will be covered by rock? about 50% give or take
12. Do you have a lid on your tank? no but will have gutter guard
13. Do you want Priority Mail (tops $11.95), or Express Mail ($27.95). (Actual shipping may be lower if you don't need a heat pack, or if you qualify for free shipping) Chitons, Florida Fighting Conchs, and Limpets cannot be sent with Priority Mail, unless you live in Florida. whichever is best for the CUC. I live in on the Gulf Coast 30 minutes from the AL/FL line

johnmaloney

Still slllooowww.... I am a bit of a techie myself, and I don't know what is going on with this guy, he is normally great, until I need him. :)

rcupak

Cool site, here's the answers you need from me

1. The size of your tank 30 Gallon
2. Sandbed or bare bottom Crushed live coral
3. Do you have fish, or inverts that you have to feed? No fish yet
4. If so how many? (Or how many planned)
5. If you have fish, how often do you plan to feed them?
6. How many of those fish would you consider small, medium and large. (I consider a 6 inch fish as large, a medium is about 4 inches)
7. What is your current clean up crew like? 10 nassarius, 1 mexican turbo
8. How old is your tank? 1 Month
9. Do you prefer economy or diversity? (Not too much of a price difference) Just a really good basic cleanup crew that will be fairly hardy
10. Are you interested in water quality control items like mangroves? No
11. About what percentage of your tank will be covered by rock?60-70% of the bottom
12. Do you have a lid on your tank? No, just a light fixture above it
13. Do you want Priority Mail (tops $11.95), or Express Mail ($27.95). (Actual shipping may be lower if you don't need a heat pack, or if you qualify for free shipping) Chitons, Florida Fighting Conchs, and Limpets cannot be sent with Priority Mail, unless you live in Florida. Standard Priority mail

johnmaloney

If you don't have fish, you need to feed your nassarius snails. They don't eat algae, and need fish waste or leftover food. Right now I would add 30 dwarf ceriths and 10 florida ceriths