Curing some Caribbean live rock, strange nitrite test results

Ntruder

So I'm about 2 weeks into curing some Caribbean live rock from Liveaquaria, I've changed the water 3 times (twice a week) and my ammonia levels are finally down to zero, but I'm getting some weird test results on my nitrites. The test water turns gray. Like literally gray as in diluted black. My test results range from light blue (zero nitrites) to dark pink (lots of nitrites). Has anybody seen this before? I googled and got nothing.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Are you rinsing the canister in between tests? If so trash the kit and get a new one. They are too inexpensive to even think of risking it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's true Sarah. Water changes during a "Cycle" will only "soften" or prolong the actual event. But this person is "Curing Live Rock" which is not the cycle you're thinking of. This is done to allow the dead and decaying matter on the live rock to "Cure" and become inert before placing it into your tank which other wise would cause a HUGE cycle to start in the tank. Changing the water helps keep the smell down some and exports some of the "crud" that is decaying. The reason you test the water is the same as for a cycle.. to tell when the decaying is complete and it's ready to place into your main tank.

Hope this helps :)

DrHank

When I cure rock, I clean (remove dead material) after a couple of weeks and move the rock to a new trashcan of salt water after about 3 weeks. I get a second soft cycle but after another 3 - 4 weeks it's usually ready for the display.

Every cycle is a bit different due to the condition of the rock when I receive it.

Ntruder

That's true Sarah. Water changes during a "Cycle" will only "soften" or prolong the actual event. But this person is "Curing Live Rock" which is not the cycle you're thinking of. This is done to allow the dead and decaying matter on the live rock to "Cure" and become inert before placing it into your tank which other wise would cause a HUGE cycle to start in the tank. Changing the water helps keep the smell down some and exports some of the "crud" that is decaying. The reason you test the water is the same as for a cycle.. to tell when the decaying is complete and it's ready to place into your main tank.

Hope this helps :)

I've read that those ultra high ammonia levels (mine were off the charts) will kill stuff on the rock that normally wouldn't have died off. The curing instructions from liveaquaria also states to make twice weekly water changes on the rock.

Anyhow, its not the test kit. I've performed several tests, in 4 different test tubes. I've even done a test in my main tank (tested light blue, or zero), rinsed the tube, then tested the rock water (gray), then tested the main tank water again (blue again) to eliminate any possible inconsistencies with the test kit.

Its strange because normally when something is high, like ammonia, the test kit will slowly darken and the colors will cycle through everything on the chart. With this nitrite test, it goes from a light blue when the blue droplets are put in straight to gray. It never goes through the pinks.