Cured live rock

MatthewM

So I am new to this whole thing, I had a question...

I ordered all the equipment and everything to set up a new tank (29g biocube) and a couple days later was informed I would be traveling on business for the next 3-4 months.

I had some time though, so I started curing my live rock. That step seems to be finished, so I emptied out the tank yesterday and that's how I'm planning on leaving it until I return.

As far as the restart later, will I have any issues with the live rock (and live sand) sitting around for a while? Or will I be ok just cycling the tank with a deli shrimp or bio-spira?

DaveK

In effect what you'll have will be dead rock. It will be about the same as dry base rock. You can use it, but you'll need to cycle the system from scratch. You should also seed the system with a piece or two of new live rock.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Your letting the rock dry for the next 3-4 months? If so, +1 DaveK post, you will just be using it as dry rock on the restart & can seed it with a bit of LR when you are ready to start up again.

MatthewM

I will get pictures and all that when I get back and get everything going! At the moment it's pretty much a stack of stuff in the corner.

Varga

You just have to cure it again. All the dead matter will turn to ammonia so you may have to cure and do water changes and test your water for several weeks.