Credit Card Fraud

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Have any of you ever had your credit card to be used fraudulently?
My card got hacked (for lack of knowing what else to call it) on the 01-06-2015.
Tried to use it for an on-line purchase & it got "Declined" :mad:
Had this CC for over 6 years & it's the only one I use.
Not sure what to expect...supposed to get more info from the bank that it is issued through soon in the mail.
The crooks who used it charged over $2,000. In that one day :eek:
I can't buy anything now :cry1:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
You got food?
Yes, no worries for CASH ;)
But my on-line (pay pal & credit card) is on delay until I get my replacement card.
I don't know how my credit card got compromised :dunno: I never carry a balance (I pay it off monthly) to avoid any interest charges. I hope this doesn't mess up my good credit rating cause I have no intention of paying bills that I didn't personally make that are now on my credit card. :mad:
I guess maybe I will find out more when I get the questionire in the mail. :dunno:

I'm glad the card card theft didn't involve mybank account :)

mikecc

Got any ID theft protection anywhere? I'm guessing that at minimum there will need to be a police report filed. I'm just guessing, never been down that road before.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
It's already been a very interesting nerve wracking ordeal. :mad:
I called my CC issuer (about 8 times in one day!!) Spoke to several different people who sounded like they were from the other side of the world. We could not hardly understand each other :(
I finally ask to speak to someone in the U.S. Because I couldn't make them understand that there was NO WAY that I was going to send a COPY of the DEED to MY HOUSE & a copy of my Driver's License to NOBODY!!
They really, truly, honestly ask me for those two things!!! SERIOUSLY!! And if I could not provide them: I was told to call back in THIRTY DAYS!
After several hang up & call back calls....I think I got them to believe I was ME!!
I am waiting to see what they send me in the mail.
Kinda really sucks (the whole situation) and I'm used to getting to shop on line :tears::nopity:

MrX

Wow, sounds like you need to get a different credit card company.

I've had to deal with some minor issues with my cards in particular, and the general breaches like the Target fiasco. Each time it's gone like this:

a) I've either called them because I saw something I didn't purchase, or they've notified me via phone call or letter. NOTE: Never click links in emails in these types of letters and never trust a random phone number. Look on the back of your card and call that number, or the number listed on your statement or online account.
b) The charges were investigated and either reversed or dropped; I never had to pay for any of these issues.
c) The original card was immediately cancelled and new cards sent out (usually overnight or second day)
d) In the cases where it was a retail breach you're usually offered XX number of days or months of free credit monitoring services
e) I've never had to provide a copy of my deed or driver's license. I've had to tell the rep the 'security code' and validate some other info (address, maiden name, etc.) -- I wasn't worried about this because I called them.

If you're getting the runaround just make sure you do the following:

- Immediately get the card cancelled.
- Get it on record that you didn't purchase the item(s) and you want them investigated, reversed, rejected, etc.
- File a police report (won't do anything except maybe help you down the road if they try and make you pay).
- Look at finding a new credit card company that isn't such a PITA to work with. Might be a good time to get a better rate, better rewards, etc.

Good luck!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Sucks to hear this Diana. Good advice above. Let us know how it turns out.

Oxylebius

there was NO WAY that I was going to send a COPY of the DEED to MY HOUSE & a copy of my Driver's License to NOBODY!!
They really, truly, honestly ask me for those two things!!! SERIOUSLY!! And if I could not provide them: I was told to call back in THIRTY DAYS!
After several hang up & call back calls....I think I got them to believe I was ME!!

Not appropriate!

Agree, good advice above by MrX.

Di, I also got fraud charges on my card recently. The company contacted me via email, I called them back using the number on the back on my card. I answered a few standard questions so that they knew I was who I said I was (ss#//home address/answered some questions I had originally given the company/etc.) and no issues there. Charges were dropped, card cancelled, new card issued that came in two days. All was taken care of, no hassle. It was taken care of in about a 10 minute phone call.

Sounds like there might be a second possible issue Di, did you call the number on the back of your card? Asking for your personal info is not appropriate.

Di, If you believe some of your personal info is compromised, I advise contacting the three credit companies (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion) and place a fraud report. This protects your credit and they can help you determine if this caused you bad credit and if so they can help you pull off any negative credit that this has caused you. The sooner the better, don't wait. If you wait it may harder to get bad credit off your record.

I agree about the cc company, that sounds pretty shady.

This has happened to me 2 times with different card companies.
Each time I called and they immediately credited my account the charge, they then mailed me a questionnaire that was filled out and I returned it. About 30 days later I received a letter that they had confirmed the fraudulent charge. Each time they immediately canceled the card and issued another via priority mail.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
This CC company should be a good one. It supposedly has zero cost fraud protection.
My card is a Walmart MasterCard (just previously a Discover card).
So far they have sent me a replacement card (new account number) and cancelled the card with fraudulent charges on it. I'm still waiting on my questionnaire.
CC fraud must be easy to do for CC hackers. I have NO IDEA how my card info got stolen & used.
I don't use my card very often. I hope they tell me HOW/WHEN this happened so that I can try to avoid whatever happened in the future.
Does anyone know if Pre-Paid type Credit Cards are safer against fraud? I can't imagine how but maybe they are?? :dunno:
I'm feeling a little bit clueless about credit card safety right now. cnfzd:

MrX

Other than the info you have now about the fraudulent charges I doubt the CC company will give you any more information. I've asked for details in the past and was told either "I have no info" or "We can't give out any details, investigation in progress, yadda yadda".

In regards to a pre-paid card, why not just use your Debit card? If someone hacks it same result, whatever money is there is gone, and good luck getting it back. At least with a CC it's not coming directly out of your account and they'd have to prove that it wasn't fraud to make you pay it.

As to how the information got stolen, in no particular order:

- retail hack exposed your info, sold on the interwebs for pennies, used by bad guys
- clerk/wait-staff/etc. copied your CC info while in possession of your card
- CC # generator 'found' a card # that worked for some hacker and it just happened to be yours
- the list goes on and on

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I guess them not telling HOW it happened seems a little bit logical, they surely don't want crooks to know how easily it can be done.
I don't have a debit card (old fashion checkbook :yup: ) and I don't use my bank account to pay through pay-pal because it freeks my husband out to think it is on the pay-pal link.
Thanks to everyone who replied...not feeling so alone with this matter has made it a little less scary.
I hope they catch the crook who needed me to buy the over $2,000. computer for him! :guns:

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I have the main card I use with Bank of America. They always call and email as soon as they suspect fraudulent use. I have never been treated the way you were when one of my cards got hatched. Same with my Target visa card. I never use it anywhere but Target, so when it got used at Walgreens they emailed me and call me as soon as it happened. Your Sam's card is probably with Synchrony, used to be GE Capital. I have had never had one of the cards, I have with them hacked, but I have dealt with them but never been treated like you were.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I had my boa hacked the other day. They took care of me and I wasn't out at all so I was pretty happy about that.

Dracko

Sorry to hear about this. Many cards do come with protection now, and there are other protective services too. I did a lot of reading on this when it happened to a friend. The experts agree that it can happen to anyone no matter what card you have or how you shop, but over 50% of all credit card number theft cases prove to be from online shopping. Now I tell everyone I can, and often repeat it, for online shopping open and use a Paypal account. If they wont take Paypal I cancel and find a retailer that does. Paypal guarantees you will get what you order, that the quality is what you expected, and most importantly..... the retailer never gets your card number to begin with. It's 3 point security for online purchases. And unless you open a business account ( I did ) it costs you nothing. If you recieve payments (business account) you get a buttload of protections at 3% on accounts receivable. I don't want to sound like a commercial, but I have a very small business and Paypal is for me a Godsend.

DaveK

Seems to be some questionable information posted on this thread. Since this can be a serious issue, here is a link to a US government consumer site on what to do about fraudulent use of a credit or debit card (offsite) - http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0213-lost-or-stolen-credit-atm-and-debit-cards

Note that you should follow up all phone conversations in writing.
Note that you have much less liability with a credit card in many cases.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I got the same letter yesterday, and I had fraudulent charges on my Quicksilver Capital One card for multiple airlines. They immediately contacted me, cancelled the card and I already have my replacement.

Pat24601

Jeez. I should check my credit card. I did notice when I tried to log into the site over the weekend they made me change my password.