Cracked Tank??

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Thanks for all the kind words and concern. I am bummed out about it to say the least.
Good news - It looks as though they will be replacing the tank under warranty. The new tank will be in next Wednesday.
Bad news - I need to move everything out of the current display into temporary container(s) or risk a huge flood. I am not sure how I want to handle that just yet.... maybe with three or four Brute trashcans.

Hummm.... I have a lot to figure out quickly...

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Can you just lower the water level for a while? take some pressure off? glad to hear about the warranty

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I will tear it down this weekend. I don't like to gamble and the fact is the tank has a crack in it and could begin leaking at any moment. Having 150 gallons of water spill in my house scares the hell out of me... :eek: NOT to mention the livestock that could die if the tank suddenly popped a big hole :(

Snelly40

bummer, at least u are very involved and noticed the crack. Looks almost like a drill bit in there, crazy.
good luck with the move Doni!!!!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I hope they aren't reading this thread and are persuaded otherwise by your dismay :p

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Do you guys think a 3/4" stiff styrofoam would help prevent this from happening again?

Triggerjay

Doni, Can you have some of your fellow reefers babysit your livestock? That way you wouldnt have to worry about lighting issues? Just an idea..OR, get a kiddie pool or two...

Jason

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Ah that really sucks, sorry to hear that Doni :tears:

From my experience with Oceanic when I had problems the warranty was one year if it wasn't on their stand and five years if it was, so it appears that AGA has the same warranty.

Do you guys think a 3/4" stiff styrofoam would help prevent this from happening again?

I don't believe so but I'm no expert.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Jason - everything will be fine in brute trash cans for a few days.

Cheeks - good to know about the warranty. thanks.

I will use the rigid foam on the next set up for sure :)

lcstorc

I read on a thread a while ago that you don't want to put the foam under glass. It was only to be used on acrylic.
I of course have no cule but I'll see if I can find the thread.

Triggerjay

I was talking with John kelly a while ago about my 125, and he toldme this:

The best way to level a tank that he has found, is to cut a peice of 1/4" plywood the same dimensions as your tank,.. the get some construction adhesive like liquid nails, and use a LARGE aumont on the top of your stand. Then place the wood on top,... set the tank on it, and put about 10% water in. The weight from the water will allow the tank to settle, and any gaps/unevenness will be filled by the construction adhesive, and dry hard.. basically a self leveler in a sense... I have also heard the foam is not a good idea under glass tanks.. theroy is it compresses the foam so much under the bracing, it pushes the foam up into the class causing excessive pressure on the glass... I read that on RC somewhere... I will also see if I can find the thread...

Jason

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No foam for GLASS!! It will redistsribute the stress into an area NOT designed for it. I like the "Self Leveling" idea there.. I like it a LOT!!

Allen

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Hiya Doni! Its been a while... I got a notification and logged in.

When I saw this thread my heart sank, but I'm glad thigs are working out for you. Your tank is so awesome it would be devistating if you lost anything.

Anyways, karma going your way! I hope everything turns out perfectly with the swap!

Edit:Ok, karma when I can, apparently your the last person I've given it to

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks everyone for the well wishes!

I was talking with John kelly a while ago about my 125, and he toldme this:

The best way to level a tank that he has found, is to cut a peice of 1/4" plywood the same dimensions as your tank,.. the get some construction adhesive like liquid nails, and use a LARGE aumont on the top of your stand. Then place the wood on top,... set the tank on it, and put about 10% water in. The weight from the water will allow the tank to settle, and any gaps/unevenness will be filled by the construction adhesive, and dry hard.. basically a self leveler in a sense... I have also heard the foam is not a good idea under glass tanks.. theroy is it compresses the foam so much under the bracing, it pushes the foam up into the class causing excessive pressure on the glass... I read that on RC somewhere... I will also see if I can find the thread...

Jason

How long does it take for the liquid nails to cure?

DrHank

Before you buy liquid nails, also look at Gorilla Glue. It is supposed to expand as it cures. I think that might be even better. The cure time on liquid nails varies (they have many types) but they usually say 24 hours.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Gorilla Glue is a GREAT product but it may expand TOO much. It's so amazingly strong once it's set up I would hate for it to PUSH the board out of level because it would be a nightmare to break loose to redo it.

Most liquid nails is a 24hr FULL cure time. I'll go check the store shelves right now and report back in a few minutes.

Allen :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok here goes... We stock Liquid Nails in the following products

Projects - Interior All purpose construction adhesive but is not designed for weather subjected aplpications ( I would use this one)

Subfloor & Decks - Exterior & Interior Semi weather proof for cold and weather exposed applications

Projects & Foamboard - Interior low odor with water clean up - wont melt foam board

Heavy Duty - Interior/Exterior Water Proof & Weather Proof bonds most ANY materials (not glass or foam) and offers extended working time. Remains flexible and impact resistant.

Of these I would probably use the Heavy Duty if I were doing this Myself. Just be sure to get a LOT of it when you get started. Better to have a couple of tubes to take back rather than running short and having to make a quick trip back to the store. They all state 3/8" gap capacity so that's what I would shoot for as the MAXIMUM before applying pressure.

Good luck.

Allen :)