Crabs Aren't Evil Society

Mad Mike

They do exactly what they are designed to do; clean up, and like anything else in nature weed out the weak.

Sign me up!

atlantic reefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
So far shells, boozeman and all the others that eat crabs (except the ones we keep) earn a membership....witfull you can be a member if you want to...(AR wonders to himself if Wit would)

Jendub

sign me up

I have a crab in my sump that keeps my cheato trimmed and neat, rearranges rock work, and eats whatever I throw down there (including other crabs).=)

I think crabs are misunderstood and should not be in reef tanks unless you want fish eaten and corals moved. This is just the nature of crabs.

Here is a pic (I have posted before).
IMGP42460004_.jpg

Shells

atlantic reefer said:
So far shells, boozeman and all the others that eat crabs (except the ones we keep) earn a membership....witfull you can be a member if you want to...(AR wonders to himself if Wit would)

i love to eat crabs too. boiled with new potatos, corn, garlic, crab boil
and with 'BAM'...:whstlr: oh and there's crab cakes, crab dip, seafood gumbo!!

am i on the right track??

prow

i love to eat crabs too. boiled with new potatos, corn, garlic, crab boil
and with 'BAM'... oh and there's crab cakes, crab dip, seafood gumbo!!

am i on the right track??
i think so. i was thinking the samething. bubagump crabs.

MarbleShark

Ok.. so what crabs are safe to put in my tank that will not kill my yellow-watchman and still clean the bottom of my tank?

Also if you get hermits what do you do when they grow bigger than their shell? do you buy a few extras and put them in the bottom of the tank in case they need them?

Barcochris

I am not saying that crabs are bad. just not for me. They only do what they are supposed to do. I just prefer snails, that's all. I do not want to replace anything because a crab got hungry. Every thing in our tanks will be an opportunistic feeder it just seems to me at least that crabs have a few more "opportunities"

atlantic reefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
KMP said:
How could you not like this little guy...

...sign me up!

Edit to quote by AR - just took img tags off so this post won't be so long

i have one of these in my tank. She's being very good reef citizen.

BHinAK welcome to Crabs Aren't Evil

MarbleShark said:
Ok.. so what crabs are safe to put in my tank that will not kill my yellow-watchman and still clean the bottom of my tank?

Also if you get hermits what do you do when they grow bigger than their shell? do you buy a few extras and put them in the bottom of the tank in case they need them?

Hermits, Emeralds, and a few others i can't remember

just add a few larger shells, or they might try to attack your snails for their shells

BHinAK

I've read that emeralds are good to have UNTILL they run out of bad algea to eat then they will turn on the good stuff that we don't what them to eat.

Use them, then get ride of them I guess.

Ok, maybe there should be a "medium to large crabs are evil society" because I like my hermits too. I have blue legs. But I would like to hear from Woody about her preference for scarlet hermits. I know they are a bit bigger than the blue legs. Other than size is there a difference in their janitorial abilities and do they pose any threat to anything else in the tank. AND, what are your thoughts Wit?

prow

mempho reefer said:
Ok, maybe there should be a "medium to large crabs are evil society" because I like my hermits too. I have blue legs. But I would like to hear from Woody about her preference for scarlet hermits. I know they are a bit bigger than the blue legs. Other than size is there a difference in their janitorial abilities and do they pose any threat to anything else in the tank. AND, what are your thoughts Wit?
blue leg crabs are known to eat coralline. might be good if you have issues with it. but if you have too many crabs no coralline.