CPR or Remora

gussy

I'm getting an HOB skimmer and am down to either the Remora or CRP Bak Pak. Which one is better in terms of performance and sound? I am considering putting some LR in the CPR where they normally have their media, but I don't think I can do this with the Remora.

mps9506

I think the remora is considered better by most people whan any other hang on back skimmer, except maybe the turbofloater multi.

gussy

I think the Turbofloater is too big. I'm going to use it on a 20G tank with about 5 inches of clearance on the back.

ReefLady

Staff member
I've owned both, the remora is superior in performance, noise, and don't discount ease of use either.

That being said, a bakpak will do just fine on a 20G. They're both very good HOB skimmers, one just happens to be a good amount better than the other.

T

uchiha

i'm running an aqua c remora on my 18g, and it's money well spent... i can't compare it to the CPR though, but i gotta say, you can't go wrong with the remora either... both are good choices, just depends on where u want to spend your money :)

V4M8ION

Another vote for the Remora. If you do go with the Remora, make sure that you also get the maxijet 1200 instead of the rio.......

Maxx

Remora w/ maxi-jet...and spring for the surface skimmer attachement when you get the chance.

Nick

gussy

So Remora it is then! I was planning to get the Rio as it's smaller (smaller surface skimmer) and therefore less intrusive on my 20G. I will definitely get the surface skimmer. Is the Rio one not good?

BoomerD

As one who's owned both Remora and Bak-Pak skimmers, I cast another vote for the Remora, and also recommend the Maxi-Jet pump. Much more reliable than the Rio's. IME, if you get 6 months of quiet, trouble-free life from the little Rio's, you've done good. I have Maxi-Jets that are over 5 yrs old, and work as well and quiet as when they were new. YES, good maintenance procedures do make a difference, but Rio's just aren't great pumps...PERIOD.

Maxx

Its not often you hear the words fire and aquarium in the same sentence, but when you do, there is often Rio involved.
Nuff said on that.
Nick

fugazi

with all the praise you hear all over the net about the remora i would have to agree with a remora is a better choice. I use a bakpak on a 20g and it works fine. would the remora work better? probalby. I would say this- if your buying new skimmers then buy the remora it's only about 50.00 more. if you broke like me then i would buy a used bakpak for 50-65 bucks off ebay. just a thought.

captivereefs

Sponsor
The remora also requires alot less cleaning and maintenence. The venturi on the bak pak will clog monthly with salt creep.

Downset

I use a bakpak with a mj1200 on my 55 and i wet skim i pull a cup full ot "tea" out every 3 days thats pretty good for a 100$ skimmer.
On anything less than a 40 I would suggest the CPR for its slighty smaller size and price plus its easy to clean and adjust

captivereefs

Sponsor
the
remoras with the maxi jet are pretty quiet once they break in. The bak paks always have that gurgling air venturi intake noise.

mps9506

Maxx said:
Its not often you hear the words fire and aquarium in the same sentence, but when you do, there is often Rio involved.
Nuff said on that.
Nick
LOL. I still use rios here and there, but not on anything that I would depend on. I can't count how many times I've been electricuted by the dang things though. I think I have a premenant tinge in my neck because of rio.

fugazi

not if you use the muffler that comes with the rio set up for the bakpak. my bakpak is only 2 ft from my head and i can bearly hear it at all.