Costs of Getting Started

jrf1175

I have seen the question a few times and since I found this forum right as I was thinking about getting started it really made me want to track my progress as well as the costs of getting started. You hear it is "a lot" but until you actually break it down, it is really A LOT! That is not to say it isn't worth it, I dont even have water in my system yet and I really excited and think it is cool to see where the last 3 or so months have lead me.

I have started to outline my build log in the following thread:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/16423-90-gallon-starphire-start-up.html
for those that want to follow my progress and learning.

While I have a degree in Marine Biology I can basically say I had ZERO experience before looking into this and getting started.

Anyways, lets get to the bottom line:contract: and put some numbers down.
Note - these prices are in CAD!

90 Gallon Starphire (48"x18"24") with corner overflow - $750
(custom dimensions would have added about $200 so
I went with the traditional measurements
Custom Metal stand with light stand - $425
I will be covering this and adding the price as soon
as I get to it
50 gallon Acrylic sump/refugium (USED) - $350
New this would have been about $500
60 GPD Spectapure RO/DI unit with auto shut-off(USED) - $210
Wavy-Sea - $320
Gen-X GX-6000 sumbmersible pump - $160
For use with Wavy Sea
Euro-Reef RS100 Protein Skimmer - $350
Aqua-Medic Aquaspacelight 2x250 MH, 2X24x PC (USED) - $800
ELOS Test Kits - $75
Should have been about $250 but online supplier sent ELOS rather than
Salifert kits...thank you!
Sybon Salinity Refractometer - $80
Reef Crystals Salt Mix - $90
80lbs Caribsea Special Grade Reef Sand - $100

Running Total - $3710

Some item and tasks that are still outstanding Include:
Pluming set up
Finish the stand
Misc Maintenance and Monitoring equipment
Live Rock
Live Stock

More to come as soon as I have some more room on my maxed out credit card!

Cheers,
Jayme

jimeluiz

And remember, for the most part these are "one-time" start up costs (that is, if you indeed buy the item you need and don't replace it in 4 months after you 'upgrade' -- but your list looks very well thought through.)

Our setup ran about $4,500 all tolled. But in the past four years we have only spent $$ on food, livestock, dosing and bulb replacements -- pretty much.

So it's a big outlay at the beginning, then it really levels off.

(Keep saying that to yourself!)

Good luck and have fun!! Start-up is key.

rDr4g0n

so far mine has cost me in the $400 - $500 range. thats for cheap lighting, cheap protein skimmer, homemade sump, sump pump, sump plumbing, some pricey live rock, and a free 30 gal aquarium.

so even the cheap route isnt cheap lol

Snelly40

its all worth it, a good tank is the best, amd pople who think u are nuts at first will be mesmorized when they see how amazing it is

Cougra

Ah, that's really brave of you to keep track of expenses! I don't even want to know how much money I've spent in this hobby!

lcstorc

My lfs tracks all sales by customer so he can give his regulars a discount. We have a standing agreement that he will never tell me the total or I won't come back. Pretty sad since I only by livestock and food from him. Equipment I almost always buy on-line except for the actual tanks.

sebastian

you can save a lot i you do some reserch..... i saved about 50% total.... on-line is good source but beware..... some of them are more than LFS.

R.yumaDaddy?

90 gal all done up with good to great livestock and equpiment 8 g's+, and if you dont believe me check my credit card balance.lol Heck I got 2 grand in livestock alone in my 29 gal.

saltwaterfarm

I made the mistake of mentioning to my LFS (who is great) how much this addiction has cost. Unfortunately, like Lynns, they track sales and he looked it up and told me. I don't ever want to have any idea, ever again...

jrf1175

Just a few more updates on my running budget...I know how brave this is and am starting to realize why many of you have stopped looking at the costs of this hobby.

Since my last update I have:

Completed my DIY stand cover ~$400

wood, various materials and paint)

Had it professionally plumbed $540
Materials and labor - I decided to go this way to have it don't right the first time and watch a pro do it. After watching and learning I will be able to take this challenge on myself if more plumbing is required.

Purchased a Profilux II Plus Controller $700
This is a bit of a luxury but it was this at good introductory price and I figured it was this or spend half of that on various timers and monitors and have to upgrade later.

Moonlight $40

Inline TDS Meter $40

New Running Total: $5340

OUCH!!!!

KodiakBear

Good Lord!!! Thank God for the DIY forum. Otherwise I'd never have a fighting chance in this hobby! Even still, I'm running around $2500 on my little 45 gal due to all the "upgrades."

Conan187

I said hmmmm ima sell my 50g african cichlid tank because it wont fit in my new apt. ....sold it for $300 with everything turned around purchased 24g aquapod with pc lighting.......salt ...water...food...fish...rock...sand....test kit....snails....live rock...coral.....upgrade to 70w mh lighting....to 9 watt copaq bulbs white and blue for dusk dawn and a little color ...im like $1200 into it........far mor than the $300 i thought.

daddio

You're brave! If my wife ever saw the total of what i've spent, she'd be out buying a coach purse every week.

tammywammy

OK, now I'm getting scared. I'm still hunting around trying to find the cheapest price for TM salt. So far it seems That Fish Place is the lowest but I haven't checked out their S&H fees yet. Drs Foster & Smith might be able to beat them on that. It is a lot of money, worth it, sure.........but HOLY MOLY!!!!!!!!!!

Kirblit

FosterSmith is the cheapest for TM, that is who I always go through. You just can't beat the $9.99 shipping for the bucket, I havn't seen anyone lower than F&S for a 200g bucket of TMpro. If you find any, let me know.

lcstorc

I get mine from the good Drs as well. The price is way better than at my lfs even if I include shipping. I buy 2 buckets at a time so I always have a spare and don't run out. I get my bird's pellets from them as well.

aquaman3680

lol it is a lot of money... you forgot to add a camera! Haha that is just part of the experience... I got my reef crystals from the drs for like 35 bucks for 160 gallons worth...

Matt

jrf1175

Camera..ha ha I will be stuck with my Powershot for now! Reef Crystals in the Great White North are 89.99 for 160 Gal. I didn't think it was bad until is see you can get them for $35!