corals not wanting to open after "Proper pH"

zpyro

oh and the bristle worms are coming out of the rock again. there's some pretty nicely sized ones in there. should I be doing anything? taking things out? ammonia is up to 1ppm now, snails aren't moving unless i poke em..

zpyro

could I maybe put what's still alive in a bucket or something, with fresh water? I'd like to save what's still alive if at all possible. the frogspawn and kenya trees seem to be still alive. anything I could do?

InLimbo87

Putting it in a bucket of fresh SALT water may be a temporary solution if you feel your tank is that out of wack. However, putting it in FRESH water would only be a solution for a VERY short period of time ;)

zpyro

if I were to do that, I'd likely have to change the water often yeah? I'd imagine if I put a piece of LR in there it would make it do the same thing the tank is doing now...

zpyro

well i did the bucket thing, the snails are much happier even tho the temp is off from the tank. i got salinity and pH where they're supposed to be, used RO water with some instant ocean. gotta get a heater for it still...i put my frogspawn and kenya trees in there, the frogspawn is shrunk up atm. I don't want to put anything else in there cuz it's either too sickly looking or is on some rock and i dont want too much contaminate in the bucket. hopefully this will work long enough to keep these guys alive til the tank stabilizes...ammonia is up to about 2ppm in there now :-/

Warnberg

water changes water changes water changes..... anything that is dead that you can find remove it, it just adds to the ammonia as it rots. I would do a 50% water change NOW, wait 24 hours and do another 25% to 30% water change.... and I would suggest stop adding any "miracle cures" to the tank.

zpyro

there was a sponge that was on one of the rocks, and is now covered in what looks like snow. I'm assuming it's dead as well? and I should try to get it off the rock and out of the tank?

I'm reading that water changes only drag out the cycling process. everything is dead, no point in trying to keep it from cycling now

edit: dear lord I just smelled the most awful odor coming from that thing!!! christ that was the worst smelling thing I've ever smelled! I think that damn sponge would have caused me to have a year long cycle, because it was pretty big and dead as a doornail. I pried it off and it looked like rotten cheese, yellow and spotted with green. I scrubbed off what I could, hopefully it'll get the tank to cycle instead of just rot

bluespotjawfish

Do you still have stuff in a holding bucket? That bucket is going to cycle too. If you have a friend who has a tank, see if they can take anything that you have left. I feel your pain!

As for the white snow covered rock, I'd clean the white stuff off of it and then put it back in.

zpyro

Do you still have stuff in a holding bucket? That bucket is going to cycle too. If you have a friend who has a tank, see if they can take anything that you have left. I feel your pain!

As for the white snow covered rock, I'd clean the white stuff off of it and then put it back in.

I don't have any friends that have tanks. I'm solo on this one. my kenya trees are gone, and the frogspawn seems to still be alive. only one nassarius is still alive as far as snails go.

as for the snow covered rock, read my last post

KMP

sorry to hear that - i posted on the first page and had done the exact same thing. lost a mushroom and 3 of 5 heads of frogspawn. i see you are in sac; what lfs is helping you out?

zpyro

the coral reef shop, in carmichael. Im moving to fresno in a few weeks though. Anybody down there who knows a good lfs?

zpyro

so I had put my pieces of frogspawn in the tank, cuz it wasn't doing any better in the bucket (I'll see if I can get someone to take some of it so at least if what I have dies I can get some back when the tank stabilizes), and it's actually more open than it was in the bucket now. same with the nassarius snails, they're actually moving around now. Which is weird, cuz when I test for ammonia it's ~2ppm from what I can determine from my tests. I've got everything thats dead out of it (what I can find). I'm being told conflicting advice, some people say to do water changes, others say to just let it go. What should I do? What are the consequences of either method?

lcstorc

If you have anything live in the tank then I would do an immediate 50% waterchange to get the amonia down. It is highly toxic to just about everything we keep. If the tank is empty then let it ride and cycle the tank. The water change will slow down the cycle which is probably why people are saying to let it go but since you have at least one coral in the tank I would do the waterchanges to try and save it. You are going to need to do many waterchanges to keep the amonia below toxic levels so be sure to keep mixing water pretty much constantly for a week or two.

DaBird

Ditto on what Lynn said, the water changes are to keep down toxic levels to what is left in the tank..don't mean to step on your toes Lynn, just reinforcing your point...

zpyro

well i've had the tank almost 2 weeks now. there's diatoms on the glass and sand, the snails are moving around as normal and the coral is open up more than it was in the bucket. is my ammonia test kit screwed up or something? how could these things survive in water that has 2-3ppm or more of ammonia??

lcstorc

If the tank has only been up 2 weeks then the test is likely correct. If you want to be really sure take some water to your lfs to test. Most will do it for free.

zpyro

so what about the diatoms? I thought they're supposed to come at the end of the cycle, but they've exploded all over the tank