Corals closed up!! Help!

sstehle

Starting on friday i noticed that about 99% of my corals were closed up and i cannot figure out why. Kinda freaking out.
150g tank about 7 months old. about half of the corals and some of the fish were transfered from our old 60g tank that was set up for about the same amount of time before switching to the 150g

Coral: lots of zoas, 2 Mushroom colonies, 2 hammer heads, 3 fungia, brain, 3 favias, sun coral, cup coral, mini carpet, 2 torches, 4 ricordias (small), gsp, birds nest, bubble coral, elegance coral
and a couple more randoms that i dont know the names.

Fish:
Blue jaw trigger, wrasse, 3 chromis, algea blenny, flame fin tang, snowflake eel, fire shimp, cleamer shrim, 2 turbo snails.

I usually do a 20g water change every friday but am not able to until tuesday because the store is out of salt till then. i noticed that everything but my gsp, and elegance coral is closed up very tightly and my brain and 3 fungias look swollen but still small and the tenticals on the fungia are all shrunken up. dont know what could be going on???

water parameters:
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.0-8.3
Nitrate 5 (which is quite common in my tank will go down to zero but usually stays between 0-5)
Ammonia 0 (always at 0)
Phosphate .25 (never moves and cant get down to 0)
Calcium 460 (usually fluctuates between 420-440)
Magnesium 1200 (usually always the same)
Alkalinity 9.0 (usually always 8.4)

Nothing has really changed lighting is the same, temperature is stable, nothing had died, and the newest corals were added on oct. 20 but have been doing great. I cant think of anything else to check and really dont want to just "wait it out" and end up having all my corals die.. need help!! thank you!!

reefer gladness

Your parameters mostly look pretty good, magnesium is a bit low but I doubt that's the cause. Natural seawater is around 1320ppm and maintaining levels about 3x of calcium is a pretty good yardstick.

If you can, take some water samples down to your LFS and ask them to double-check your test results. My LFS asks for a $1 per test but if you're a regular customer good chance they'll do it for free.

DaveK

Since there is nothing obviously wrong with the water parameters, check the tank for anything that might have died. That can cause corals to close up, even if you don't see an ammonia spike. At this stage, I'd do some large partial water changes, just in case something did get into the water. I'd change about 1/3 the water and if things pick up a little make a few more similar water changes a few days apart.

wscttwolfe

sounds like its not the water. i'm betting you have a pest problem, check out the tank at night with a flashlight and let us know if you see anything

carlfike

Any chance a contaminant could have gotten into the tank. Household cleaning agent maybe?

This happened to me when my wife used windex on the glass. Remember glass is considered permeable. I did a big water change and added carbon. Didn't lose anything but a shrimp. Carbon is always your friend when something weird happens.

tommyboynj

This happened to me when my wife used windex on the glass. Remember glass is considered permeable. I did a big water change and added carbon. Didn't lose anything but a shrimp. Carbon is always your friend when something weird happens.

Yep. It can happen very easily. Lucky for me that about the harshest cleaning agents used in my house are baking soda and vinegar. The wife a a huge anti chemical person so we just don't use stuff like that.

Andy

+1 on the carbon. Rowa carbon is my hero, i would add an organics remover too clear fx pro is a good option. Hope all pulls through. Phosphates are a little high if you add some phosguard i have had good results

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Hope they recover soon !

sstehle

update. Did a 20g water change on tuesday tested the tank and it was
ammonia 0
nitrate 0-5
phosphate .25
calcium 440
magnesium 1280
alkalinity 8.4
then got some new media for phosphates and nitrates to lower them. things started looking a little better mushrooms started opening the fungias wernt all swollen and some random polyps on zoa colonies started to open. tested tank on wednesday
ammonia 0
nitrate 5-10 went up
phosphate .25( looked like it was starting to go down)
calcium 440
magnesium 1200
alkalinity 8.4
at this point everything started closing up again, did a 5g water change thursday and tested tank
ammonia 0-.25 went up a little
nitrate 5-10
phosphate 0-.25 definatly going down
calcium 400
magnesium 1200
alkalinity 8.4
Come saturday things still wernt looking good for the corals tested again
ammonia 0-.25
nitrate 5 going down
phosphate .25 again
calcium 420
magnesium 1280
alkalinity 8.4
today is monday and we just did a 10g water change.
our parameters seem to be very unstable and going up and down ammonia always stays at 0 nitrates fluctuate between 0-5 phosphates .25 calcium between 420-440 magnesium 1200-1280 and alkalinity 8.4. my birds nest looks dead and my sun coral is about dead too. everything else is closed up and looks like its dying. some has even had algea start growing on it which i heard happens after corals start to die. my elegance coral seems to be the ONLY coral that is open and seems to be unaffected. all the fish are fine alive and accounted for, shrimps too. making sure the salinity stays a 1.024. last week when i said salinity was at 1.025 well at the end of the day it was gonig up to 1.026 due to evaporation and me not having an auto top off. could that be affecting the corals like this. been at 1.024 all week and no change. also havent seen any parasites at night time. nor has there been anything sprayed around the tank. its in our room my boyfriend and i are the only ones in there and never spray ANYTHING in the room. so confused. i dont know whats happening and im running out of ideas on how to fix it :(

jerry26

I dont really know how to help you so im just gonna tell you what i noticed in my tank. Whenever my phosphates went up and i noticed algae, my corals seemed irritated. Theyd open but not like they should. As soon as i cleaned it up theyd be fine again. The fluctuating params like calc and mag are probably just from the salt in the water changes altering the levels. But im no expert, just trying to help. It really sounds like something got in the tank.