Coralline algae with white spots

I've notice some white spots on my coralline algae. My live rock has been coverd by purple coralline algae in 4 to 5 months. Nothing has changed in the tank. Just getting some random white spots on the purple algae. I see a lot of "white" means it's dieing or calcium is low but my coralline algae is always on the rise and spreading. I use Salifert test kits and even doubled check the numbers with a back up set of salifert kits.

Calcium- 440ppm
Magnesium- 1350ppm
Alkalinity- 8.2 dKH
Phosphate-0.00 ppm
Nitrate- 5 ppm

After checking with a flashlight. I see several very small blue starfish that are outlined in white. THey seem to be the diameter of the mark and any of the one I see are on a patch of coralline algae. Do these starfish eat coralline algae?

After reading some on the type of starfish I have, they do eat coralline algae. I used some tweezers and pulled out a good 30 or more. I'm sure I will have to keep doing this to get most of them. 90% of the ones I found were right next to the white spots, several that were removed had the spot underneath them.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Do these starfish eat coralline algae?

Asterina starfish do :)

2955_4.JPG

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
coralline algae clogs your live rock and slows denitrification, coralline algae is pink, yuck! pick up the stars and put them in your pocket, never let them fade away lol

I'm still at a loss for how it prevents denitrificatioin. Rock already seems so solid, how would algae cause any difference? Coralline algae always seems to grow and I doubt an urchin would prevent all of it from growing, seems like something that will always occur. I notice the coralline algae on my live rock ony grows on the top of the rocks, it's not completely covered.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I did mention about me making up stuff right? die off off everything is normal to some degree and it will grow back if your parameters are in line, remember you can't have a garden without bugs lol

Well the spots I was talking about were coming from starfish. I've pulled out a good 100. Everywhere the spots were I found a starfish and they were the exact same size in diameter.

New Question

Within' the past few days I've noticed my coraline algae starting to get very tiny white dots on it (not starfish) The coraline algae still seems to be spreaing well yet several places have hundreds of pin size white dots. All my corals are doing well and I'm doing weekly water changes. All my parameters have been the same lately except for my alkalinty getting down to 6.7 dKH (checked twice) What is causing this, alkalinity? I'm using all salifert kits and have always giving me good readings. I haven't changed the lighting and the bulbs (250 watt metal halide) are only 6 months old. I've had this happen before and it always seems to correct itselft, yet I'm left with no explanation as to what caused it.

Calcium-440 ppm
Alkalinity- 9 dKH
Magnesium-1350 ppm
Nitrate -5 ppm
Phosphate-0.0-.03 ppm

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
temperature fluctuations maybe? just bare in mind corraline is an algae and all alga are subject to the rise and fall of Rome and other civiliztions.. Sodom and Gomorrah, Mayan's, Inca's and Sasquatchins