HELP! Coral Issues!!

MikeSpike

Hi all,.

My tanks been running for around 8 months, all gone well so far....until about 5-7 days ago. I moved the trachyphyllia by about an inch (sideways) as it was near a kenya tree frag and since then its gone very down hill....although it maybe totally unrelated.

The trachyphyllia coral had since receded and has not opened. The Kenya tree has not opened, the nuclear Paly has not opened and the zoa's are only about 50% open. GSP and hammers has been unaffected???

I've taken my water to be tested and the parameters are fine, I have no idea what going on - please help!!

It was on the substrate but I've just moved onto a rock slightly higher up.

TIA

PH 8
Nitrite 0.00
Nitrate 12ppm
Phosphate 0.00
Salinity 1.025
Temp 78.9F

IMG_4335.JPG IMG_4340.JPG IMG_4341.JPG IMG_4342.JPG IMG_4343.JPG IMG_4344.JPG

MikeSpike

Water parameters are:

PH 8
Nitrite 0.00
Nitrate 12ppm
Phosphate 0.00
Salinity 1.025
Temp 78.9F

that was tested today, my tank is normally very stable.

mtsully71

what is your alkalinty? Nitrate seems a little high (not critical), have you tested ammonia?

Also, do you have it in high flow/low flow that could be a problem. Do you feed your Trach? What are your magnesium levels. Just throwing stuff out there for you to think about

Last edited:

MikeSpike

unfortunately i don't have an alkalinity test. Pending getting one over the next few days anything else you can suggest?

Ive just added some Kent Nano reef stuff that's meant o keep stable alkalinity in case that is a the issue, any other ideas?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Looks like the Kent Nano is an A & B 2-part solution - a good way to proceed

but start testing 1st, just dosing... is what leads to the problems of varying up & down amounts that can stress and even kill the corals... stability is the key

aquarium_type_chart.jpg

mtsully71

unfortunately i don't have an alkalinity test. Pending getting one over the next few days anything else you can suggest?

Ive just added some Kent Nano reef stuff that's meant o keep stable alkalinity in case that is a the issue, any other ideas?

+1 from Glenn, do not get onto a slippery slope. Dosing is fine, but you need to know what, why and how much........be informed what your tank is doing. If @DaveK see this he will get his soap box out, man is good and is a reef purist :biggrin:. Do not dose until you need to, especially if you don't know how much :nono:

I would definately get yourself an alk and mag kit, salifert or red sea (I like salifert). Your tank looks good and everything appears in order but ya never know.

If you don't have a Ca test kit might as well get one if your are intent on using a 2 part solution.
Just curious....... you have some intense corraline algae, is that natural or did use use a supplement like purple up etc?

It does not appear this has been asked but do you make your water or buy it. If you make your own I would assume your using RODI?

:clink:
Sully

Oxylebius

If you don't have a lot of corals, you can easily do water changes to maintain levels of Ca, Alk, and Mg. You have two options with increasing water changes. 1) do water changes more often, like once a week, or 2) increase the amount of water when you do water changes (i.e. increase the % of water being changed).

I would definitely buy testing kits for Ca, Alk, and Mg before dosing. You want to know where your levels are and how they are changing.