Coral ID...

Edd13

I got this coral while in LA 2 weeks ago ... I was woundering if it was going to make it so i waited on the pics ... it was wild I think, so i Iodined it and RO soaked it... then a light ro blast with a power head to clean any other things on it before it hit my tank ... then it bleached all white (oops :smack: ) ... i think i went a little over board on the bug killing... I thought it was dead but today its about 90% brown ... this pic it 2 days old.

needless to say ... what is it? ... any ideas? ... lable said "Super Fancy Acro"

Attachments

• IMG_1300 rs.jpg
    IMG_1300 rs.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 102

vdituri

Super duper fancy. Love it when they get a scientific with the descriptions. lol

Hope it pulls through for you.

dobejazz

I'm not an sps keeper but I don't think you should give them a FW dip.

I hope it recovers for ya though

Edd13

I'm not an sps keeper but I don't think you should give them a FW dip.

I hope it recovers for ya though

your right ... i read that after i did it... i saw it bleach then freaked ... but its coming back ... the question is what is it

funkpolice

man, I have totally neglected learning anything about sps. I guess because I don't have any. I don't know the difference between an acropora and a millipora. I think I'm going to try and learn some more about them as of now. So thats what an acropora looks like. What features make it an acropora?
bill

man, I have totally neglected learning anything about sps. I guess because I don't have any. I don't know the difference between an acropora and a millipora. I think I'm going to try and learn some more about them as of now. So thats what an acropora looks like. What features make it an acropora?
bill

Acropora is the generic name for a lot of corals.

Acropora is a genus name that covers a lot of species, including Acropora Millipora.

Milli's (as they are commonly called) are some of the easiest to keep and easiest to ID SPS corals out there. They have very long polyps.

The 2 blue corals on the right in this picture are millipora's:

RedMilli.jpg

Only coral that comes close to having as much polyp extension are Prostrata's, again slap the name Acropora in front of it.

But I think you meant to say you don't know the difference between Acropora and Montipora, the other common SPS coral family out there.

Monti's usually come in plating or encrusting form, not stick form (Acro's are called colored sticks commonly).

Monti Cap:

GreenMonti.jpg

Orange Monti Digitata (One of the few monti's that grow verticle like this)

SPS1-1.jpg

The coral to the right in that picture is another Monti, I think a Confusa but I never got a good ID before it croaked on me.

And if you google the term Superman Monti for pics you will see an encrusting version of a Monti Coral.

Basically the difference is how they grow:

Acro's - Usually verticle growers
Monti's - Usually Plating or Encrusting growers

funkpolice

I do know what the montis look like, at least the plating kind. I didn't know that millis were acros. What kind is the one on the left in the last pic with green polyps. When I get around to upgrading my lighting, I want one of those. Ed, I apologize for steering this thread away from you're question. I'll start a new one.
bill

Acro; (in Latin = "open")=Acropora="open pores"
Monti; (in Latin = "mountains")Montipora="mountains of pores, or "mountianous pores".

Just in case someone out there didn't know-Dave

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Illum

First, I love cap's and I don't know why. I just think they are cool.

On another note

Acropora Millipora

It is millepora not millipora :D And monti's are acroporid corals, just not in the Genus Acropora.

Acro = Peak

Monti = Mountain

pora = Pore

Millepora = 1/1,000 or many very small pores and millipora is the same.

The green coral is an ORA Green Birdsnest. One of the nicest and easiest to keep corals. That picture was when I had it under PC's, here's a top down of it under MH light:

GreenBirdsnest812.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
Illum

First, I love cap's and I don't know why. I just think they are cool.

On another note

Acropora Millipora

It is millepora not millipora :D And monti's are acroporid corals, just not in the Genus Acropora.

Acro = Peak

Monti = Mountain

pora = Pore

Millepora = 1/1,000 or many very small pores and millipora is the same.
Excellent break down as usual Boomer.

acro, acr- (Greek: high, highest, highest point; top, tip end, outermost; extreme; extremity of the body). With definitions and two quizzes.

Sorry,
I don't know where I got "Open" from,..I must be getting old:crossed: