Coral ID Plz

devind

i have several of these on a piece of live rock in my tank. it came with the rock, and i do not know what it is. It is sensitive to light. that i know, cause these didnt like the lights in my FOWLR tank, so i put em in my Refugium with 6500k bulb and they sprang out and got bigger. Can anyone give me a clue what kind of critter this is? The pic is of the biggest two i could see. Both are no bigger than a dime.

unknown-coral.jpg

thanks so much

Devin

devind

it isnt majano or aptasia. i followed the search you said, and by chance found a link with something similar. It was identified tenatively as a ball Anemone of some kind. I battled aptasia and im well aware of how fast it can spread. These have not. There were 5 on the rock 6 months ago, and there are 5 maybe 6 now. Aptasia spreads like a rash, this has not.

brandon

I have a few in my tank I even witnessed one a couple of nights ago grab one of my captain america polyps.

devind

further info. the reason they did better in my Refugium as apposed to my main tank is, they eat Cepopod and Amphopod larvae, which i have growing readily in my Refugium. they are not purely photosynthetic. so while the lights do help, they can exist without them. they prefer to eat. the reason they didnt spread to become a carpet or colony was lack of food. now that i know how to care for them, i should have a healthy colony soon. When i do, i'll start fragging them. I will post when frags are ready for any that might want them. Again these require feeding by hand(brine shrimp works well), or keeping the tank stocked with amphopod/cephopods.