Coral feeding???

I want to find out what is the best all around food for my reef, (clams, sun coral, leathers, xyenia, plates, bubble anenome) etc...
Any suggestions???
Thanks
Shawn

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I want to find out what is the best all around food for my reef, (clams, sun coral, leathers, xyenia, plates, bubble anenome) etc...
Any suggestions???
Thanks
Shawn

well that's a broad range of corals and they can eat different things. Here's how I would (and DO) do it.

I mix Mysis shrimp with some Cyclopeeze and feed this to the tank. It takes care of the filter feeders and the large particle guys too. Larger things like anemones may need direct feeding of may a cocktail shrimp or silversides or something like that.

lcstorc

I feed a wide variety of foods. Daily the tanks get mysis and Cyclopeze. 3 times a week the anemone and the serpent star get small pieces of something meaty. Could be shrimp, silversides, lance fish, clams etc.
3 times a week some type of coral food. I have several that I rotate through Rods reef food or something like that, marine snow, and coral vibrance. I have used some others as well but that is the routine at the moment.
Of course the tangs also get nori daily as well.
You should be target feeding the anemone, plate, and sun corals. The suns will need small food. I have seen both Cyclopeze and mysis used successfully. The anemone and plate can get small pieces of any meaty food.

In addition to the advice so far, my anemones love squid. I get the frozen stuff, squeeze it in my hand until thawed and hand it right to them. It is their favorite. Some anemones and corals will eat squid more readily than the shrimp do to a lack of shell. Some would tell you the shell is part of the nutritional needs though.

If they are happy, they are OK.