Coral Beauty: Please advise newbie

gbose

I have a 34G ReadSea Max, which has been set up for about 10 weeks, and cycled for the last 6 weeks.

I have liverock, a basic cleanup crew (snails, peppermint shrimp, starfish), a clown, a fairy wrasse, and a few soft corals -- mushrooms, leather, GSP, Frogspawn.

I've been looking at a Coral Beauty fish. But I note some caveats, as it may 'nip' corals..

What have your experiences been?

GB

gbose

jpsika,

Thanks, that's something I was wondering about. But I read that it just needs a 30+ G tank?

GB

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I think they are in the heartbreaker fish family, few of them ever do really well, stress,diet and mystery illnesses and they seem prone to damage and infection, not something for a new tank

I think they are in the heartbreaker fish family, few of them ever do really well, stress,diet and mystery illnesses and they seem prone to damage and infection, not something for a new tank

I'd agree to the heartbreaker quote. I had a smaller one in my 29 gallon hex, but it eventually developed a disease, and passed away while I was in surgery last year. Very beautiful fish, full of personality, got along well with the 2 others I had in the tank, but I don't think I'd ever buy another, or even anything in the angelfish family except maybe a pygmy cherub angel.

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
No problems with mine.. it claimed a large territory in my tank though.. maybe it just needs more room than a 30.

janaya

I have a 90 gallon and I added my coral beauty 6 months after it cycled. The little guy has been doing very well. Great personality, aggressive eater and seems to play well with all the others. However, I did read they can be aggressive towards their tank mates. Since you have a smaller tank I would keep some space for him, let your tank mature a little longer and reevaluate.