Coral Beauty Behavior - Live Video

OneFishTwoFish

PREMIUM
My Coral Beauty Angel has been in QT for 26 days. Only observation, no chemicals added. Over the past 3-4 days, the Coral Beauty seems to be swimming slower and somewhat erratically. Water conditions are fine (no detectable ammonia or nitrites, nitrates less than 5, SG = 1.026, temperature =78-79F).

We have made significant progress with the fish, examples:
(a) During the first week, seemed to be frightened whenever someone approached the tank. Now he looks for people, watches intently, follows activity outside the tank, etc.

(b) Ate nothing for the first few days, then started with 'garlic mysis' and moved up to eating anything we feed. Feedings are twice daily now, very little residual food in the tank.

I've added 3 hermit crabs (from my DT sump) to provide 'maid service'. They behave normally.

There's a Vortech MP10 in the tank, operating in Reef Crest Mode (random flow), not exceeding 45% capacity. It seems that the Coral Beauty is pushed around by the flow. He does spend some time picking at the little bit of rock that's in the tank, and picking at the bare bottom.

Opinions ? Is this normal behavior ? Or . . . do we have a problem.

Take a look (live video), here:
http://dropc.am/p/9sdBbr

Thank You !

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I'm noticing some rubbing on his right side. It looks like he's rubbing against the rock, the heater, the pvc pipe.

OneFishTwoFish

PREMIUM
Thanks Mayja. I agree. So far, I don't see any damage or parasites but this behavior leads me to believe that something must be present.

sirrealism

I watched for about 10 mins and saw him do what Mayja said but I think thats pretty normal as it looked like he was picking at maybe a touch of algae. Mine does the same thing to get to a bit of algae it will turn on its side to get a better bite. As far as sluggish or erratically I did not see any signs of that. Looked really good to me. Maybe a bit bored by himself but thats about it. Then again I only watched 10 mins

OneFishTwoFish

PREMIUM
Sirrealism, I was considering boredom also. He is picking at tiny algae. If he's OK, I'm planning on moving him to DT on Saturday.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I watched him for another 10 minutes. You're right... he's picking at stuff. He's not sluggish at all. I think you'll be okay adding him. Love the dropcam, btw.

Oxylebius

The drop cam is great!

Agree with the others in that I'm observing pretty normal behavior. The fish looks ready to be transferred.

Great QT set up and great detailed information you provided in your first post.