coral as live rock?

somethingfishy

hi,

I'm thinking about getting a piece of big coral(the ones my lfs have/display on the shelf, usually shrink wrapped, not the live ones), will it make a good live rock or is it only good for decoration? I already have LR in my tank that can seed it.

thanks

slakker

I guess over time, it'll become live rock, but it may take a while. Probably get quite a bit of algae on it too before it stabalizes...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Most coral skeletons will "Seed" very well. Usually the "wrapped" coral you see is pricey because it's more "Pretty" than just LR. It will all get covered with good gooey stuff and coraline in time so if you see a piece you like I say do like Tiger and "Go for it!"

DeepBlue

You can certainly use the coral branch for decorative purposes. True live rock is best becuase what makes it "live" is very deep inside the rock and that takes a very long time to occure, like 100 years. These deeply embedded organisms create the anaerobic (oxygen poor) zone (which break down nitrates). The top layer of rock is the aerobic (oxygen rich) zone which breaks down ammonia and nitrites. It is because of these zones that true live rock is ideal for biological balance. Using dried and in many cases, bleached coral will not ever have this anaerobic zone. So, though it may look pretty, it will not serve as a replacement for true "live" rock.

You can certainly use the coral branch for decorative purposes. True live rock is best becuase what makes it "live" is very deep inside the rock and that takes a very long time to occure, like 100 years. These deeply embedded organisms create the anaerobic (oxygen poor) zone (which break down nitrates). The top layer of rock is the aerobic (oxygen rich) zone which breaks down ammonia and nitrites. It is because of these zones that true live rock is ideal for biological balance. Using dried and in many cases, bleached coral will not ever have this anaerobic zone. So, though it may look pretty, it will not serve as a replacement for true "live" rock.

Good info!