Coral and other organisms

I am starting with a reasonably small salt water aquarium and I dont know what to put in it to start out as a beginer tank. I also worry about getting things in there that could hurt me or the things living in there, im talking about bobbit worms and other types of worms. Advice or info would be much appreciated.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Some great info on getting started here... no need to worry about being hurt by any worms, that would be very very uncommon.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/look-frequently-asked-questions.33555/

If you have a specific questions, ask away, someone will help :)

DaveK

If you don't have the tank and other equipment yet, first figure out what you would like to keep and let that guide the tank and equipment selection.

If you already have the tank, please tell us what size it is.

Most livestock we keep is generally harmless, but there are some exceptions. What sort of livestock interests you? Fish? Corals? Inverts?

Desmond

Being honest i think there will be loads of safe options for your and whatever size tank you have.
The more information you can put up here the more help we can give.
Size and type of tank (sumped tank /back compartment)
Equipment skimmer , pumps ect
What fish you want.
If you are having live rock or dry rock to start.
Beginner corals you could have some Zoanthids , leather corals and soft corals to start none of which are not particulary dangerous.Wear gloves when adding to the tank and you would be fine and if no gloves just make sure to wash your hands straight after and not to touch your face.

SubRosa

Most worms are harmless, and most of the rest such as bristle worms are just a nuisance imo. Fire worms will get my attention with a sting, but they're brightly colored and know they're hot, so they are usually out and about in the open.

Pat24601

The other suggestion I would throw out is you may want to start with dry live rock rather than wet live rock. For example: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-dry-live-rock-live-sand.html.

The cycle will take longer, but you avoid hitchhikers (like worms), which seems to be a concern of yours. Actually, if I were starting over I'd do it that way myself. In my view, hitchhikers can be fun, but when they are bad one, it's way more of a pain than I care to deal with.

Desmond

I love the criers ☺ I had 1 worm and my boxer shrimp has taken care of that ☺

Sent from my SM-G870F using Tapatalk

hitch hikers are one of the most exciting parts of this hobby. my tank has been running for years and I still find stuff living in my tank i had no idea was inside.