Copper Emergency!

sooner1

I need help! My tank has tested off the charts for copper. It's mostly due to my stupidity for using a return line fitting that rusted upon recent inspection during a big maintenance review of my 29 gallon tank/ 12 gal sump. I suspect this has infused my tank with high levels of copper for more than a month! The good news is I do not have any corals, fish only and as of today several dead snails:angel1: . My question is other than a copper/heavy metal sponge and water changes what can I do to rid my tank of this problem? I spoke with my LFS and he also said I need to basically start over on the entire tank with new live rock and a new sand bed :bouncebox. Is that true? Or will the sponge be enough? I want to add corals eventually, but more importantly do I have to replace 30+ lbs of live rock which will leach copper back into the tank? Any help would be much appreciated.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I agree and wouldn't use for a reef tank. It would be fine to use for anyone with a FO setup, maybe you can sell it ?

goldenmean

Can the tank be used at all for a reef tank?
Does the copper get into the silicone seals of the tank?
I dont know. Just asking?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Can the tamk be used at all for a reef tank?
Does the copper get into the silicone seals of the tank?
I dont know. Just asking?

Yes it does. Now will it be enough to harm inverts ? Of that I'm not sure. I know there was a member at another site that used poly filters to help remove copper and he was able to have a reef tank. I think it's worth a try but I would get a good copper test !

DaveK

What I would do is use copper absorbing products for a few months, while doing large partial water changes.

Then at the end of several months try an easy soft coral, like a leather coral, and see how it does. Get a small frag for this, since it will be inexpensive. If that does ok for a few months, try a few additional corals.

If things don't work out then you'll need to replace the LR. However, as you know live rock is not cheep. You want to be sure you need to replace it.

i was the same problem , have almost 2 months running carbon , copper remover from seachem , copper remover from aquarium system(for me the best that work in my system) , all runnings in diferent canister filters.also needs make almost a 25% of w. changes weekly .after that i can use all in my tank includig my rock, my best, test was a one turbo snail every 3 weeks . this work for me, remember that always exist a posible risk with the l rock, for this i use the t. snail.
luck with that
pedro

Last edited:

sooner1

I have done as some of you suggested. I have Kent Heavy Metal Spong and doing several water changes. I tested last night which resulted in a 2.0 PPM reading! Down from 4.0+.... progress is progress. I will continue to do this until I see 0.0PPM or have the $$$$$$ to purchase new LR

sooner1

I tested again today and found the results to be 0.50 PPM. The Kent Heavy Metal Sponge is doing the trick for now.