cooling my tank

atari915

okay, i just got a 30 gallon biocube. it has all the filters, but i needed to buy a heater so i have a fully submergable one. saturday sunday and monday were all of a sudden REALLY hot out and my tank skyrocketted to 85, then to 87, then to 90 over the last few days. i tried pointing a fan at it to cool down the air around it and it didnt work at all. luckily it cooled down yesterday and last night, and this morning it was back around 83, hopefully still declining.i dont know what to do because the summer is starting and its going to be getting so much hotter! i dont know anything about fish tanks, im really new at this. i have a small blenny, a small coral bandit shrimp, and a small brittle starfish along with some xenas and random mushrooms. everything still seems fine even though the temp change was such a drastic one. does anyone know about any cooling systems or any advice???

cbrownfish

You either need to buy a chiller or keep the ambient temperature below 80 or even lower. Even at a room temp of 80, the lights and equipment can add several degrees to the tank temp.

atari915

Remove the heater and make sure it's not faulty and "hanging" in the ON position.

it doesnt have an on position, you set it to a temperature and it stops once it gets there. plus i touched it and it wasnt on at all. i guess i'll have to buy a chiller.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Heaters break; the internal switch that gets turned on and off by the internal thermometer gets stuck on one position; invariably on. There is a switch, its just internal

I would scale back a few of the non critical pumps and such during the hottest times of the day. On really hot days the tank will have a "cloudy" day with less light time, otherwise my A/C bill was over 500 a month to keep the place at 80. Now a 1/3 hp chiller solvs that problem

Jeremy0322

temporary fixes do you dont hit that high temp again would be another fan maybe, shut the lights off, or take ice packs and put it in 2 zip lock bags and float them, you can do the same with frozen water bottles, just make sure you have a few of them and are switching as one thaws out.

dsmooth

I just had to buy a heater cause my temp was running high, after i bought a new heater problem solved

Ratpack

Heaters often do fail in the "on" position, a good reason to run a controller for the heater.