controlling algae

I recently underwent a big algae problem, red, green, hairy, crusty i had it all.
I took rocks out and scrubbed them and flipped them (not a big deal because i have all of two fish in the tank now) and i also did a big water change.

I want to know how you guys keep your algae under control.
Does it have a lot to do with water parameters, i heard high ammonia/nitrates can make algae grow like crazy.

What do you guys do?
Is there any critters (fish/inverts) you guys recommend that eat algae?
A buddy recommended a sea hare, but apparently they can release toxins if startled....

lcstorc

It's a variety of things but the most important is nutrient control. The algae lives off of the excess nutrients in the water. Old bulbs can also contrubute, low flow can be part of the problem, and too much light can hurt as well. And of course manual removal can help as well.
The key to it all is contruling nutrients.

framerguy

If you control the phosphate levels in the tank, then the algae is more controled also. I use a phosphate reactor. I think RowaPhos is a good brand and is what I'm switching to when I need to replenish.

Seahares can Ink if startled or injured (mine never have) but the ink is not toxic, it's just purple. A water change is in order if it happens, but that's about it. They are prolific algae eaters (I'm right about this one PaulB, I'm sure of it). I have two in my tank and they are my favorite animals.

blue_eyes53813

What size tank do you have? I had a bad algae problem about a year or so ago. It takes time to clear up. Keep EVERYTHING clean like filters and sponges. Clean daily if Possible. This is what I had to do and still have to do to make sure it doesnt come back.

1. Weekly water cahnges of 20%
2. reduce feedings
3.Increase flow
4. more clean up crew, hermits and snails
5.clean filters and sponges daily
6. reduce lighting period and/ or get new bulbs. Old bulbs need to be changed.
7.run phosban and carbon 24/7
8. squirt/spray off liverock 2-3 times a week. Food that settles on rocks is algae food. Scoop out any floating algae with a net. If it settles back on the rocks it will grow again.
9. make sure skimmer is working correctly and producing a wet skimmate.
10. Monitr all additives to the tank , like DT's is definetely a major algae food. Dont use liquid foods until algae is gone. Also Ive read that product like vinegar ( if you use it to clean equipment) may be contributed to algae?? Im not sure about this but I drip kalk with some vinegar in it. When I cut back on the vinegar the algae slowly went away.

All the above will need to be changed and it will take awhile to get it under control. Mine took 6-9 months. It was terrible.. Dont give up on it.

Sea hares are very good, I also had one of those. Make sure all powerhead intakes are covered. They can be pulled into the smallest holes. They have a very mushy body. Mine did very good until it found my powerhead. YUCK. It also released its toxins, I didnt notice anything bad happen with this, But My tank is a 265 gallon , It may harm a smaller tank. I'm not sure though. I havent heard of one causing any major problems though.

cracker

YumSaltWater I have/had the same problem. After 3 months I still have some Ha sprouting here & there. I removed some problem rock & scrubbed the rest weekly water changes & phosban, carefully siphoned off sand in problem areas. added more circulation. I think my main problem was the filters on the ro/di were shot. Consider starting with your water source.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Just for some added input... Sea Hares do an AMAZING job at Hair Algae but mine doesn't like anything else. He wipes my 12g NanoCube clean in about 4 days then I loan him out to fellow reefers and once in a blue moon bring him home to my 10g tank. He's a Hair Algae Eating Machine :)

Work systematically from your source water down..... take your time.... it's uasually not one factor and it doesn't show up over night and takes a LOT longer to get rid of. Good luck and Happy Reefing :)

Thank you for some fantastic answers, steps that i have taken so far is adding more flow, removing problem rocks, scrubbing others (its so hard to get off) and turning rocks algae/aptasia side down.

I did a big big water change and im keeping the lights off for a while.
Ill also set my timers to have the lights on less.

Does anyone else know about the toxicity of sea hares?
I have a 95 gallon tank and would probably only keep one, but the thought of one inking something poisonous freaks me out.

Also i have heard that some tangs make good algae eaters, would anyone know specifically which ones?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've had several Sea Hares (mostly borrowed) and have to admit.. I've personally handled mine bare handed and have even dropped him and had to "coax" him from between some rocks. He's yet to Ink. Some variants are more likely to ink and the one found mostly in our hobby isn't very likely to do it. Just know that it's ALWAYS possible but not overly likely.

I'd say get one if you can but just keep in mind it's not a solution to the problem only a symptom. Also they POOP a lot. I mean a WHOLE LOT so that in itself can lead to more algae issues in my eyes.

:)

framerguy

the toxicity in seahares is very low. It's mostly just purple. You would want to do a water change but none of your animals would be hurt by the ink.

althea2you

LMAO gl!!! i didnt see if you said what water you were using.. i heard tap water is a huge problem wih algae... are you toping off with tap water or using it at all? if so... not good... use either distilled or the ro water from your local super market.. just a thought!!! gl!

lcstorc

Most fish won't eat the HA once it gets long. If you trim it down to a shorter length any of the bristletooth tangs will work on it for you. I find turbo snails and seahares much better options for algae control. My tangs get their algae in the nori I feed them though of course they are always picking at the rocks.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Turning rocks with Aptasia over will do nothing for the Aptasia. It will move around to get light and better flow. You must use kalk paste to get rid of these nasties and do it quick they multiply very fast.

Or our trusty Peppermint shrimp. :)

lcstorc

Or Joe's juice.
I have also heard of boiling water and lemon juice but have never tried them.
I just bought 5 peppermints tonight for this very reason. One for the fuge, one for the clown tank, and 3 for the reef. Soon there will be no more aiptasia here.

JT101

What is the difference between hair algae and Bryopsis? I had an outbreak of the latter a few months ago on a Tonga Branch, I took it out and scrubbed it until my hands hurt, put it back in the tank - yep, still some strands there! Finally out of sheer frustration I took the branch out of the tank and MICROWAVED it for 3 minutes! Sure, it killed each and every micro feather duster along with any and all other microfauna and live bacteria, but the branch is completely clean and free of any more Bryopsis (PS - the coralline is starting to grow back as well).

Sorry for the tangent, back to my original question: How can you tell the difference between hair algae and Bryopsis?

Thanks
John

JT101

Or Joe's juice.
I have also heard of boiling water and lemon juice but have never tried them.
I just bought 5 peppermints tonight for this very reason. One for the fuge, one for the clown tank, and 3 for the reef. Soon there will be no more aiptasia here.

That stuff is GREAT! However, it seems that I am getting an "outbreak" of a lot of little aiptasias instead of the larger ones I have been selectively targeting (succesfully). I think I may need to go with the peppermint shrimp!

I already have a cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp that seem to get along fine, will adding a couple of peppermints create a problem?

Thanks
John

lcstorc

I wouldn't think so but just this morning I noticed the fire shrimp piking on the new peppermint. I think they will work it out. It is also a small tank (20g) so that may be part of it. Meanwhile they haven't eaten the aiptasia yet but then again I fed them during acclimation since I added them after lights out.