Considering getting rid of the tank

map95003

We're selling our home and most likely building a new home....that process will take 4-6 months and we'll probably end up renting while building our home so I'm thinking the best thing to do is sell the entire setup and maybe someday setup another tank from scratch. Here's a pic I took today and a list of equipment, trying to figure out a reasonable price for everything. What do you think would be fair?

DSC_0035.jpg

DT with all corals, fish and other livestock, ~80-90 Fiji lbs of LR, 100-120 lbs CaribSea LS
6x54W T5 setup with ATI bulbs, DIY LED moon lights
Korallin 1502 CA reactor, eheim pump, JBJ regulator, 30 lb CO2 tank
AquaController w/ DC8 module + pH, ORP, Temp probes.
2x2LF Phosban Reactors
ASM G2 skimmer w/ Sendra 3500 pump - skimmer has gatevalve mod.
3x200W Titanium heaters (+ some extra 200w Stealth backup)
DIY ATO (20g)
DIY 55g sump w/ fuge + 6-7" DSB
Captive Purity RO/DI unit (75G / day)
Lots of powerheads (K4's & K2's)
UV Steralizer (This was used on my QT yrs ago, I have a new bulb), never used it on my reef tanks.
I have boxes of aquarium stuff that I don't ever remember.

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Sad to see this tank go, it by far has the co0lest Monti Caps I've ever seen... I don't know what it's worth, but given my expereinces with CR, you'll maybe get only $1500... Ask for $2000 though!

tnwillia

WOW! thats a beautiful tank. Building a new house sounds like a great time to prebuild the in-wall tank and tank room. Good luck!

immerume2

Sell the live stock and keep the rest you will end up spending three times what u get for it getting it back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

map95003

Sell the live stock and keep the rest you will end up spending three times what u get for it getting it back.

I was thinking about that....but if I ever rebuild, I'm going way bigger so most of my current equipment wouldn't work anyway.

map95003

Sad to see this tank go, it by far has the co0lest Monti Caps I've ever seen... I don't know what it's worth, but given my expereinces with CR, you'll maybe get only $1500... Ask for $2000 though!

Yeah, I know if I sell it, it would be some low ball deal, that's the main reason I didn't want to sell it. But it might be easier than moving it multiple times.

DesertOrchid

That is one beautiful tank and just my 2 cents worth would be so worth the hassle of moving it just to save your live stock especially the corals to start up your big tank in the new house. You will pay FAR more to replace your corals than you will be able to sell it for. And most of all you know the health of your specimens. Lovely purple and red montis. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Funlad3

See if an LFS will hold the livestock at least, the others are right, you don't want to lose it. :)

dmatt88

OK buddy that's a beauty. I'm seriously envious. Now the truth.

Most people aren't interested in a full ready to go tank. Its too much work to adjust n unfortunately with large corals there tends to b losses. Plus adjusting livestock brings the same. I've bought many tanks that people r closing. Most start asking a huge amount and call me in 4 weeks talking less than my first offer. Id post on Craigslist if you are in a populated area selling corals. Understand that what you see as its worth probably isn't what someone else thinks.

So in summary. If you plan on setting up the tank in the future YOU tear that dude down n move it for the 4-5 months n move it again. Ill walk u thru how to pull it off. If not ur gonna lose ur butt.

Fyi last 3 tanks I've bought I've not paid over 700. N I've bought some compelling tanks.

Sorry if i was a buzz kill. N PS. If u lived closer id buy it. But 700 tops buddy. Keep it n move it man!

........hi I'm matt and I'm technologically inept.

map95003

OK buddy that's a beauty. I'm seriously envious. Now the truth.

Most people aren't interested in a full ready to go tank. Its too much work to adjust n unfortunately with large corals there tends to b losses. Plus adjusting livestock brings the same. I've bought many tanks that people r closing. Most start asking a huge amount and call me in 4 weeks talking less than my first offer. Id post on Craigslist if you are in a populated area selling corals. Understand that what you see as its worth probably isn't what someone else thinks.

So in summary. If you plan on setting up the tank in the future YOU tear that dude down n move it for the 4-5 months n move it again. Ill walk u thru how to pull it off. If not ur gonna lose ur butt.

Fyi last 3 tanks I've bought I've not paid over 700. N I've bought some compelling tanks.

Sorry if i was a buzz kill. N PS. If u lived closer id buy it. But 700 tops buddy. Keep it n move it man!

........hi I'm matt and I'm technologically inept.

:laughroll I hear you Matt. I know exactly what you're talking about. Over the ~13 yrs I've been into this, I've moved tanks multiple times. I've never really lost much in a move and I'm confident (if it's all up to me) I wouldn't loose much if I move the tank, just not sure I want to deal with it...you're right, the $$ loss in selling would be very steep. I still have some time, just want to make sure I'm considering all options. Sometimes I feel like getting out of the hobby too so maybe this is a way of convincing myself it's the right thing to do :) ....but then I see a coral/fish or tank and it's all back. If $700 was your way of trying to scare me into keeping the tank, it worked, there is no way I would sell it for $700, I would actually prefer to give it for free to someone that I know would take care of it.

I sell on average $100-150 / month on frags, and anyone that every bought frags from me got a great deal because my frags are more like small colonies for a fraction of the cost anywhere else. This makes it even harder to sell the tank for nothing, it has been paying for itself the last few years. Earlier today I sold a 4"x3" spiraling purple monti and a ~3-5" kenya tree....all for $35, can't beat that.

engineer goby

That is one of the nicest tanks I have ever seen. I really hope you end up keeping it. I'm afraid if you sell it within a few months to a year you will seriously regret it. By the way what size is the tank?

Choff

What size is the tank? I may be interested in the equipment, LR + sand. Just not the fish + corals. I am probably 45 min to hour away from you. Let me know what you decide.

edit: Man, that is a seriously, seriously beautiful tank. Breaks my heart thinking of that being broken down. I hope someday mine will look half that good. I think I have gone back to the top to look at that photo 3x. Almost looks fake it's so nice. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Amazing looking tank but I think Matt is right. I sold my complete 90g with built in cabinet, sump, fuge and everything for $500. Was sickening but had to be done. I was able to sell a lot of the coral to the LFS and got some GREAT store credit (which I still have about $10 left after a year LOL).

Good luck and AMAZING tank.

N83259

Have to agree...super nice tank worth keeping! Have you considered a temporary set up where you house the corals & LR in lit tubs until you are ready to deal with a permanent set up? Matt gives good advice & I'll add that many folks don't want a totally mature tank because they'll miss the fun and satisfaction of doing it themselves.

On CR I've seen equipment pricing usually at 25% to 50% of discount retail (on line pricing) and am guessing owners often have to wheel and deal from that point. But your corals should go fast and for decent money, I would think, as mature colonies like you have are hard to find. Maybe you can avoid endless fragging and still get good money. You live in a populated area so I think your chances are good. Best of luck!

Uslanja

Wow, that is one very good looking tank! Good luck with your new home and whatever you decide to do with your tank!

map95003

Thanks guys. Yeah, I know Matt's right, after all it's a hobby, it's not like we're in this to make a killing, but instead of selling it dirt cheap I would prefer to give it to someone that's really into the hobby and just can't afford all the stuff but would take care of it. Last time I left my tank behind too, the family loved it and even though they had no prior experience it was obvious they wanted to learn, I'm no expert but it was great teaching them what I knew. They are still in the hobby and still have the tank.