Col's Red Sea S-650

SPR

[QUOTE="Collo, post: 1347484, member: 80869"

With regards to the ALR2 you mean you want me to test It for you 1st and report? lol

[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Lol

No, I would have one by now if I didn’t think it was just something else to clean. I quiet like the idea of how refugiums work, but don’t like the mess in the sump

Collo

[QUOTE="Collo, post: 1347484, member: 80869"

With regards to the ALR2 you mean you want me to test It for you 1st and report? lol

Exactly! Lol

No, I would have one by now if I didn’t think it was just something else to clean. I quiet like the idea of how refugiums work, but don’t like the mess in the sump[/QUOTE]

100% - plus by the time my reactor and Seachem matrix is in the sump I don't think I have any room for an algae reactor

So I bought and installed a chiller for my tank, I've never been a fan of 'fans' I also ignored all advice given to me and bought the Teco500 rather than the 1000 - by thinking being it will only even need to chill a degree or 2 down so being a little small will be fine and make less noise (I already had a Hailea HC300 but its massive and noisy and doesn't heat, only chills) I'm very impressed with how quiet the Teco is, I don't really hear it if the tv is on - By UK standards we had a warm weekend and the chiller kicked in during the day, but it was very quiet and didn't warm the room up too much. All in all I think it was a good purchase and appropriate for the UK climate.

Collo

Turned the red sea skimmer back on to see how it was performing now the water level in the sump is reduced and it overskimmed again on its lowest setting, rather than persevere and keep trying to dial it in, its coming out and my deltec sc1456 is going in - better anyway because it has a controllable dc pump. The red sea skimmer will be an emergency only skimmer

Collo

So one of the Nyos reactors arrived broken so need to return it for a replacement, fitted the other reactor and pump unit, pretty happy, I have rowaphos and carbon in there. Put my deltec skimmer in the sump too (lots of microbubbles but its already performing better than the rsk 900IMG_20190703_182202.jpg IMG_20190703_182208.jpg Dont judge me, I know its messy lolIMG_20190703_182212.jpg

Collo

Current stock list:

Yellow eyed tang
Blue eyed tang
Goldrush tang
Regal tang
Lemon peel angel
Fireball angel
Flame angel
Blueface angel
Coral Beauty
Fairy wrasse
Cleaner wrasse
Silver bellied yellow wrasse
Picasso Clowns
Small cleaner fish x2

Also
Regal angel (in quarantine, looks to have a bacterial infection)

Collo

Todays purchases:

So I decided I'm going to wait for the Neptune trident to be released before I order an apex. I don't want to remove my pumps/skimmer/chiller etc from the power centre of the 650 so other than temp/ph and salinity I won't be getting any benefit from the apex. Until the trident is released, I have opted for the Seneye reef. I wont be using the par metre as it will be in the sump, but ph/temp/nh3 will be useful. So Seneye reef pack ordered. I've also ordered a x4 pack of 100micron felt red sea socks - I much prefer them to the mesh type the tank comes with. I also ordered some tines of A la carte tinned brine shrimp, I've heard big things about them.
Next on the shopping list is a wifi controllable auto feeder (this is something on my shopping list when I go down the apex route, and one of the things that almost made me pull the plug on the Apex for their feeder) I'm yet to find one form a reputable brand - I don't want a cheap Chinese one from ebay

Nobbygas

Good luck with the felt socks. I only ever bought one, and cleaning it was a right pita! To turn it inside out requires the strength of Popeye, so make sure you eat loads of Spinach. I've gone for the Media Cups from Red Sea and I only put Filter Floss in them. It's really easy and quick to replace the floss every three or four days.

Collo

Good luck with the felt socks. I only ever bought one, and cleaning it was a right pita! To turn it inside out requires the strength of Popeye, so make sure you eat loads of Spinach. I've gone for the Media Cups from Red Sea and I only put Filter Floss in them. It's really easy and quick to replace the floss every three or four days.

That may also be an option tbh, I have floss in the mesh socks currently and did consider the cups with floss. My last tank had felt socks and I didn't have a big problem with them so thought id give them a try - but we will see I guess

Collo

A couple of casualties today. My silver bellied yellow wrasse and my flame angel.

I came home from work and was cleaning the glass and saw the flame behind the rocks - i'd not seen it much yesterday but it did feed, but I noticed its tail had been nipped (it was quiet small too) So stress/bullying I guess. And not seen my wrasse for a few days now and I guess that was to be expected, seems the way with some wrasse if they disappear. No signs of disease on either so I guess its one of those things, all other fish appear heathy and eating well. I have however not seen my cleaner wrasse for a while so I think thats next. Such is tank life

Last edited:

Nobbygas

A couple of casualties today. My silver bellied yellow wrasse and my flame angel.

I came home from work and was cleaning the glass and saw the flame behind the rocks - i'd not seen it much yesterday but it did feed, but I noticed its tail had been nipped (it was quiet small too) So stress/bullying I guess. And not seen my wrasse for a few days now and I guess that was to be expected, seems the way with some wrasse if they disappear. No signs of disease on either so I guess its one of those things, all other fish appear heathy and eating well. I have however not seen my cleaner wrasse for a while so I think thats next. Such is tank life
It's a bummer when that happens isn't it. That first month is so important with new fish. We have no idea as to how it was treated before we buy it, for example it may have been caught with cyanide, in which case it will only have a short life-span. I have had fish bullied from the start from which they've never recovered. I've had Wrasse disappear into the sand never to be seen again. Fish have jumped through the Red Sea Mesh Cover. We try everything we can but sometimes these things happen.
Tank bred fish will be the future I think, as this takes away all the stress from being captured in the wild, and then transported. Here in Germany they now sell tank bred Yellow Tangs. However, the price is 180 Euros against 80 Euros for one caught in the wild.