Codium

BigJay

woah John whats the story with the Heterosiphona gibbesii? I hadn't seen that. I want some! Any more info needed besides what listed? From what it says it looks like it should do well in the high flow I have in the tank right now.

johnmaloney

I have found it to be very easy to keep, just fragile to handle. Others have had no problems, I think I will move it to an intermediate level macro, just because of the delicate nature. I have a rock I successfully planted some liagora on, but now my sgt. majors are eating it. I can't get them to stop eating algae, they all think they are Tangs. They are eating my sargassum as I type this. I have an unknown fish that has been in my tank since fry size, and it is teaching the others it seems....

bluespotjawfish

Hi John! Here is a slideshow of my macros I got a few months ago. I love the codium! I need an ID on the red small tight bushy looking macro (not the red grape or the gracilaria but the other one)? It is crazy gorgeous too and grows fast. I must have something that eats the gracilaria because it disappeared, except the one bunch of it which they seem to totally leave alone.

bluespotjawfish

Yip, that's the one. It's great. It wasn't much to look at when I got it and my clowns kept disturbing it so it almost died, but once it settled in it really took off and now I have 3 more clumps of it going.

johnmaloney

it does come out nice. it was one of those species that almost always dies back at first, but then gets going. What is nice about it is that it grows close to the rock which looks nice, but it is still easy to remove if you want to. (You twist it off while pushing down until it is dislodged)

johnmaloney

I want to get my 10g planted tank going again. I swore off nanos (I like the 10 gallon basic rectangle tanks for my purposes which are usually not much for display), b/c I have too many tanks and just consolidated some 2 weeks ago. I want one again... I got 6 10gs here and was thinking of setuping up a bookshelf type display with different biotopes in each. Because of seasons though it may take me a year to get everything I want, and I just don't see that project happening anytime soon....but eventually... I should probably learn to drill glass and make it easy on myself. Couldn't tweak salinity in the separate tanks though.....why did you have to bring up nanos? I am going to lose a days works over this....:)

Oh by the way, while codium is still nice the specimens I was bragging about have been sold, a cutting has been placed in aquaculture, and hopefully I can share it as a featured penny macro frag in the near future. Just have to see how it grows. Found the camera, looking for the charger. Told you all I wasn't in to cameras...:)

lcstorc

Do you still have the normal codium?
I forgot about it and it is pretty cool. Everybody takes a nibble of that stuff. My seahorses used to hitch on it as well.