Codium

johnmaloney

Just a tip, right now the best codium you will all year long is available. Large interesting shapes for tall codium, great color on the short stuff too.

johnmaloney

I am worried about taking a pic of the stuff I have now b/c the people who got the regular stuff will be upset. Thanks Jay! I think I should be smart and mark this time of year:

Late march for codium.

razorvines

So of the varieties you have which would you most recommend for that type of use.
I am thinking about vacation time and something I can keep in the fuge then put in the DT for them just before I leave. That way I can just have someone come over every other day to feed.

johnmaloney

chaeto ulva and gracilaria are my first picks for a refuge. Easy to keep filter well, no risks really and the last two have good food properties.

razorvines

chaeto ulva and gracilaria are my first picks for a refuge. Easy to keep filter well, no risks really and the last two have good food properties.

So would I have any problems by dropping a little bit in my DT to feed my yellow tang and blue hippo tang? I guess I am just worried about it going crazy.

BigJay

Jay,
Do I remember correctly that you are using gracilaria?

yup two types of red. Both have really taking well in my tank and are growing steadily out of multiple locations. These macros have gone sexual on me but its not overly invasive like some algaes are. I would say the rate its grows would be just about perfect for a small tang. The red grape I have seems to almost pace the gracilaria.
The codium grows much much slower has shown no signs of going sexual. It seems to me the safest macro I've seen(just my experience with it). The hairs that grow all over it are quickly eatin by almost anything in the tank. Almost like its a candy tree. I haven't seen anything eat the stalks itself but I'd take John's input on it.
I had ulva for a while and I'd definetly recomend that for tang treats.

razorvines

yup two types of red. Both have really taking well in my tank and are growing steadily out of multiple locations. These macros have gone sexual on me but its not overly invasive like some algaes are. I would say the rate its grows would be just about perfect for a small tang. The red grape I have seems to almost pace the gracilaria.
The codium grows much much slower has shown no signs of going sexual. It seems to me the safest macro I've seen(just my experience with it). The hairs that grow all over it are quickly eatin by almost anything in the tank. Almost like its a candy tree. I haven't seen anything eat the stalks itself but I'd take John's input on it.
I had ulva for a while and I'd definetly recomend that for tang treats.

I see in your chronicle where you said you had a gracilaria outbreak. Was just curious about it. Was it just growing too fast in your tank?
I just have chaeto in my fuge right now, but really like the idea of having some grow in my DT.

johnmaloney

sea hares and tangs seem to like codium, at least the ones I have come across. You are right though, anything will eat codium hairs. Even carnivorous fish.

I want some macro for my biocube 29, but scared that the tank is too small in case something goes wrong...I have a feeling my halloween hermit and lawnmower blenny would love life.

BigJay

I see in your chronicle where you said you had a gracilaria outbreak. Was just curious about it. Was it just growing too fast in your tank?
I just have chaeto in my fuge right now, but really like the idea of having some grow in my DT.

I did. 2 types of gracilaria and a little red grape started growing everywhere in my tank. At first I had a minor freak out. But really it wasn't bad. I have a couple snails that look like wandering gardens but basically I have one or two pieces of gracilaria growing out of every rock in the tank. Anywhere I don't want it I just have to let it grow a little and then its very easy to remove the entire piece of gracilaria, hold fast and all. I'd call its growth moderate. I wouldn't hesitate to recomend it to anyone who likes macros and its no where near what caulerpa algae is.

razorvines

You got some of that snorkeling or was that the grapes? I was going to take the boat out this weekend so thought it might be fun to try and get some myself before I order it...

johnmaloney

it is easier to pull, freaky how it can spread attached to powerheads. To be honest Big Jay I have been trying to re-create your results here, I want to get it naturally spread throughout the tank, but it hasn't been working. I guess it only works if you don't want it too... :)

BigJay

I got one of the gracilarias from John and the other from the local waters along with the red grape. Careful if you go picking on your own. A lot of critters in the ocean use the algae as a place for their eggs.
John at first I really didn't want it to now that I see its not covering everything I absolutely love it. I wish I could recreate it with the codium.