Coco Worm Growing New Crown

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Sorry Mario, my Coco jumped ship several months back and has not been seen since.:( The Coco was in my 90 gallon tank. The small HH feather dusters you are seeing came on the rock that was in my 20 gallon Harlequin shrimp tank. They are very cool though!:)

BEELZEBOB

anybody gotta clue as to why the drop their heads?

my feather did that a few weeks ago.

i got all worried, but its growin back very quick. (like fingernail speed)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Some have theorized it has something to do with stress... some self defense... and some (only heard this one ONCE) was potential reproduction.

:)

djbacon

Everything I have read points to the following causes -

1. stress

2. age - natural cylce - as it grows it may shed its crown and grow a new larger crown to support its larger size

3. environment - if the tank in which it is being kept is not supplying enough food, it may shed its crown and grow back a smaller one as it shrinks in size in response to reduce caloric intake.

If you parameters are good and your worm shed it's crown, dont freak out. It will probably grow a new one quickly.

Some people have a hard time target feeding cocoworms beacuse of the way they retract quickly when feeding is attempted directly. A slight change in current will cause it to retract. I've read the mouth is actually at the bottom of the spiral of feathers and food must slowly be directed down the spiral into the mouth in the base of the tube.

The centermost outward end of the crown is actually where it expells waste. In other words...it's butt . So the best way to feed it is to drop phyto above it with the pumps off and let it filter down slowy around the crown. OR - drop phyto in the current away from the worm in the path that will lead to it. Trying to shoot food down the tube will just expel it as the crown re-emerges.

plecosword

Stace's coco lost his crown 2 times so far, and now she has like billions of cocos all over the place. they look like little with spirals, thats why im so sure what I have are cocos.

plecosword

I still think I do!, that would be awesome, because then I have a Fortune of cocos! Are you sure your coco and the rock were never in the same tank?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Nope, they never were, the two tanks are independent of each other. They can't even see each other. Although, I did move some corals to the 20 from the 90! Things that make you go hummmmmmm?

djbacon

Keep us posted - Ive red threads that say they reproduce by secreting gametes into the water and it takes two worms to do it, Ive also read that half may leave the tube and start a new worm, leaving the other half to grow a new crown. This is all thread talk and nothing conrete, but KEEP US POSTED!! It would be exciting for sure. All the reliable sources I have read from say they will not breed in captivity. Do you have multiple in your tank?

you sure they arent feather dusters? how about some pics!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
My understanding is that Coco worms have a poor, longterm, survival rate in captivity.:dunno:

Who has had their Coco worm the longest? Everyone chime in that has or has had a Coco worm.

plecosword

aww, im gona have to take care of the tiny cocos then, you said you moved corals around, hmmm!! were those the tan star polyps?

plecosword

some of them have 2 heads, the small ones look bright red from far, but larger ones look Orange. does this mean they are cocos then! Look closely at your rock, im sure youll find a ton of white spirals, or tubes sticking up.