Clownfish Color Changed

cracker

Miss Diana, Maybe it's their mature colors? Have they done what pairs do already? How long did it take for them to change?

They do all kinds of weird things....suck on Zoas :bipolo: and YES, they spawn quite often also.
View attachment 44269
I wish they would have stayed ORANGE.
The male has black lips...no idea if it's from sucking on Zoas or if he will eventually just turn all the way BLACK :dunno: :confuseded:
View attachment 44270
Wow you're a mom to lotsa babies Diana! Kudos to that!!! [emoji122] [emoji106]

Perhaps your clowns were thinking it's time to a lil artistic and become Picasso instead? Hehe! [emoji16] think of the bright side... They only changed colors and not something negative that happened instead [emoji6]

At a time where you're having all those issues in your tank I'd take this as a blessing in disguise knowing there's still light at the end of the tunnel... [emoji108]

Cheers!

Sent from my Xperia Z3

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Today, it's NOT GOOD!! I may be finding out what is WORSE than Bryopsis or Clowns turning black....
Sitting here after MOPPING UP THE FLOOR! :eeknew::eeknew:

Seems that I have a LEAK.....
I do not know from where my system is leaking yet.
I just noticed the sump was running REALLY LOUD. Just had topped it off this morning & it was about a gallon low already & the floor is WET. :wah: Unplugged the sump return, chiller, & skimmer....Then bailed 5 gallons of water out of the sump.
Tank seems to be holding it's level...so I don't think it's coming from there.
UUGHHH!!!
I may have to find a local Adopt-A-Fish place :wah:
....I'm a little concerned as there is not one :frown:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Best of luck sorting the leak !!!

On the clowns - that is quite the change, my Ocellaris clowns are now over 6 years, a breeding mated pair & are as orange as the day I got them... :confuseded: but yours are still beautiful ! :clownfish:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks Glenn...seems like the water has stopped leaking.
I will know more when I get home from work & put the sump, chiller & skimmer back on-line with the system. Kinda scary :eeknew:
Just hope NO MORE MOPPING is needed when I get home:fingerscrossed:

I have been trying to figure out if something is wrong with my clowns, making them turn black or if I just bought immature BLACK CLOWNS :ponder2: Not knowing they were. I didn't want black clowns.

They started with blotches of black & I thought the blotches would go away if maybe they were caused by coral rubbing & the silly fish sucking on corals...they still do that. :ambivalence:
Now the male is nearly solid BLACK. :confused: And the Female is looking more like she be also. :cold:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Yours are a breeding pair I am sure you could trade them in for some others - if you don't want black clowns - a breeding pair should bring a small premium.

I am sure nothing is "wrong" with them... it's just genetic.

If you get some more... these would be a great choice - imo

Ocellaris Clownfish, Captive-Bred(Amphiprion ocellaris )

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2971+755&pcatid=755

:winky: Nemo was an Ocellaris Clownfish

Hope the leak is solved easily !

Pat24601

I deliberately bought black and white clowns, but at the time I thought you could have two clown pairs and thought I would get orange later. Now I wouldn't even want two clown pairs, but I'd probably prefer an orange pair. Not enough to trade mine in, though.

That said, I think not liking the color is a perfectly legitimate reason to trade them in. I know we get attached to our pets, but at the end of the day they are just fish. They'll do fine elsewhere and you can get what you want.

Pat24601

On a vaguely related note, the main reason I want orange clowns is so that once my kids are old enough to see Nemo, we have the obligatory orange clown. I also just think the bright orange would go better with my other colorations now that my tank has matured and I know what it looks like. That said, my black and white ones are unique and I like that about them. So, it's cool.

I also didn't like my Tomini tang I got talked into by my LFS because it just isn't really that colorful.

Then I had two 4 year old neighborhood kids come by and call my clowns Nemo and my tang Dori and I felt better about everything. If it looks like Nemo and Dori to a 4 year old, that's all I was really looking for. Maybe more in the case of the Tang.

Last edited:

DaveR11

I hope you have fixed the leak @DianaKay and the tank is back to smooth, stress free running. I bought a pair of clowns - one orange and white and one black and white as I loved the contrast. Only the black and white one has survived the Ich, so hoping to get a smaller orange one when I can restock.

Your tank has been an inspiration to many to take the plunge into reefing - yours was the first thread I read on here from start to finish so wishing you all the best with the Bryopsis.

Dave

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I hope you have fixed the leak @DianaKay and the tank is back to smooth, stress free running. I bought a pair of clowns - one orange and white and one black and white as I loved the contrast. Only the black and white one has survived the Ich, so hoping to get a smaller orange one when I can restock.

Your tank has been an inspiration to many to take the plunge into reefing - yours was the first thread I read on here from start to finish so wishing you all the best with the Bryopsis.

Dave
Tanks Dave! :thumbup:
UPDATE ON LEAK:
After putting everything back on line (one thing at a time) NOTHING LEAKS! I noticed when I cleaned the Skimmer collection cup that the drain valve was turned to OPEN :rolleyes: ....I had adjusted to wetter skim because It had been empty for several days. Hummm....maybe it was "empty" because it was draining as it collected :duh: When I topped off that morning the increased water level & skimmer adjustment cause skimmer over-flow INTO THE FLOOR as the valve was set to drain the cup. :hammerhead:

All is back to good: NO LEAK :woohoo:

Tanks Dave! [emoji106]
UPDATE ON LEAK:
After putting everything back on line (one thing at a time) NOTHING LEAKS! I noticed when I cleaned the Skimmer collection cup that the drain valve was turned to OPEN :rolleyes: ....I had adjusted to wetter skim because It had been empty for several days. Hummm....maybe it was "empty" because it was draining as it collected :duh: When I topped off that morning the increased water level & skimmer adjustment cause skimmer over-flow INTO THE FLOOR as the valve was set to drain the cup. :hammerhead:

All is back to good: NO LEAK :woohoo:
Glad to hear you've found out the root cause and rectified it. Woohoo!!! [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji106]

Tank is back on its path to glory!!! [emoji1]

Sent from my Xperia Z3

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I have decided to just keep my black clowns unless they become super aggressive. I hope they don't :fingerscrossed:
They only pick on my Cherub Angel BECAUSE he antagonizes them. :trike:
To get anymore fish is taking a chance of getting Ich. :confused:
And....My luck has been pushed to it's limits. :pityparty: