Clownfish Behavior

blade25

I have a pair of clownfish since January today 1 of them started hanging out at the surface of the tank with his dorsal fins sticking out and swimming on its side with 1 gill sticking out almost like he is gasping for air. He is also floundering at the top occasionaly. Does this mean he is about to die

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
That isn't a good sign does he have any white spots or blotches ? It could be Brooklynellosis which is common with Clownfish.

Here's some good info:

As the parasite causes respiratory difficulties (Lom, 1995), the infected fish show rapid or laboured breathing and may swim close to the water surface in an attempt to get sufficient oxygen. The gills may haemorrhage and small red spots (petechiae) may be present (Lom, 1995). A mild inflammatory reaction may be evoked by a light infection, but a heavy infections will usually cause the death of the fish. Noga (2000) reports that skin lesions are also often associated with brooklynellosis.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/brooklynella.html

blade25

so far there are no signs of any infections. He acts like he wants to stick his head out of the water. I would hate to lose him

Cartman89

What other fish do you have in the tank? When I had my 55gal I had 2 clowns and a few damsels. The damsels killed the 2 clowns.

blade25

as far as damsels I only have 1 stiped damsel and 2 green chromis, but they don't harass the clowns. He ate yesterday so I guess we will see what happens. His color appears a little faded.

blade25

The clown in question is still eating, I think he is probably being bullied by the other one. A couple months ago I had 3 clowns and 1 was being picked on severely so I removed him to the LFS. Now I think he might be starting with the other one. Not sure but he is still swimming at the very top dorsal fins are sticking out of water does this very often. But when lights are out they hang close by each other.

Frankie

RS STAFF
What kind of clown is this? and is it the same kind as the other one you have?

blade25

thanks for asking they seem to be. They are both eating thats a good sign, the one still swims at the top most of the time but very active.