Clown Tang

aprime11b

I have a 3'' clown tang in my 225g tank, it is the meanest fish, when it comes to tangs.. I had one in my old 90g tank with 2 other tangs and never had any issues... This one has already killed 2 naso's, a powder brown and a blue tang.. I no longer will add any tangs to my tank because I know what will happen... I tried to remove him but after 2 hours, he is way to fast, I began getting stressed and knocking rocks over and corals. Just thought, I'd share.. anyone else experience this?

FibberMcgee

Not the first time that I have heard this, but I have also had a clown tang for 4 years and it ate out of my hand and was a very respectable tank mate.

Also depends when he was established with the tank... 1st one in... it's his tank...last one in.... it will be lower in the pecking order.

Absolutely my favorite tang after the Powder Blue both of which I have kept together in a 125 gallon tank.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Im debating what tangs to add to my 180, so im following this thread, however all the info i have on tang says they arent textbook predictable. Some will be docile as can be, others mean as a bull. Advice i've been given so far says to add the the more docile first, and if you do happen to get a really mean one, take it to a LFS and see what they'll trade for it. Only true way to solve the issue of a mean tang is to put it in a tank with stuff too big to bully. Thats what i've been told.

My small orange striped bristletooth tried it on with one of my lionfishes, 4 times its size.

One of my LFS took a Sohal from a customer. they new the customer and the fish. Very peaceful and in a well stocked tank with other tangs.

The LFS couldn't stock it with any other fish while displaying it for sale because it would try and kill them, straight away.

same fish, different location and different tank mates.

I don't think you ever know what will happen until it is tried. Even then peaceful relationships can end after time.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I really think most tangs are a simple read......and it all depends on how they were added to the tank. Like Mcgee said above, first on in and the world is his playground.

Have you tried the mirror trick or the picture trick? if you tape pictures to the tank of other tangs when you add a new one it lessens the aggression. I've never tried it but i've read that it works.

DaveK

Clown tangs have a notorious reputation for being nasty, to the point of being serial killers. Sometimes you get lucky, and get one that doesn't cause a problem, but usually your going to have to choose between it and other tangs. Sometimes a clown tang will kill any other fish in the tank, so you got to watch out for that also.

If you need to get t out, you might be able to remove it at night, if you know where it rests.

aprime11b

well ddelozier.. i would suggest staying away from the clown tang for your 180.. most other medium tangs would work.. id keep 3-5 tangs in there depending on the size of species... some that come to mind are.. powder brown power blue blue tang yellow tang naso tang are the most common. you can try LFS or sw stores online for other harder to find species..

as for the thread.. no i never tried the mirror trick. he was added after most fish but was a bully until he stressed and killed my fish.. now when i add new ones he still tries to bully.. now he thinks its his tank because he murdered all other tangs.. when i added a fox face he tried and still does sometimes swim aggressively around him but i hooe his venomous spines stick the clown hah

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
well ddelozier.. i would suggest staying away from the clown tang for your 180.. most other medium tangs would work.. id keep 3-5 tangs in there depending on the size of species... some that come to mind are.. powder brown power blue blue tang yellow tang naso tang are the most common. you can try LFS or sw stores online for other harder to find species..

as for the thread.. no i never tried the mirror trick. he was added after most fish but was a bully until he stressed and killed my fish.. now when i add new ones he still tries to bully.. now he thinks its his tank because he murdered all other tangs.. when i added a fox face he tried and still does sometimes swim aggressively around him but i hooe his venomous spines stick the clown hah

appreaciate the advice. My current list is(not in any order), yellow, hippo, naso, and possibly white faced tangs. The tank isnt ready, and no tangs will be added before august, because i have to leave town for a week sometime during summer. The only friend i have close enough to babysit my tank is a true novice, just setting up his first sw tank now. So i'd rather his only concerns be Top off and feeding every other day. I dont want his ignorance killing my fish, nor do i want him feeling bad for not knowing what to do yet. Im teaching him SW aquariums, but tags are not what i would call easy to care for by a novice aquari-file.

aprime11b

sounds like you have a nice stock of tangs. there are several other kinds you can add. just stay away from the clown!