Clown suicide

nmsalty

Things had been going well since the beginning. I should've known it wouldn't always stay that way. Unfortunately my female clown decided to jump out of the tank last night. Of course, I didn't find her until this morning, all stiff and definitely dead. I have a lid on the tank with the cut-outs for cables, skimmer and such. The hole she must've jumped out of is pretty small and has cables running out of it and yet she made it somehow. What causes fish to do that? The tank is stable, healthy and everyone else seems happy. I'm very sad. Can I introduce another clown for the male or is it too late now and he'll have to remain single?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Oh no, So very sorry for your loss :blue:
Really don't know what might cause a clown to jump out of the tank. My clowns never go even close to the top :ponder2:

I would try to find a clown a little larger than the remaining one to add to the tank AFTER you put in into QT for a few weeks.

My clowns are happy as a mated pair, can't imagine just having a single.
Wait for other opinions, there may be some :)

nmsalty

Sorry about your clownfish. I'd have to guess that it was another fish nipping at her.
No, I really don't think so. The fish all get along but I wonder if shrimp startled her. That's the only thing I can think of. I did notice both clowns hang out near the top at night by the skimmer. It doesn't take much from there, I suppose.
Oh well. I guess I'll never know.
Does anyone have an idea about what I can use to cover the tank, a screen or something? I'm going to take the acrylic lid off so it doesn't interfere with the lighting but not until I have some kind of screen so no other fish can jump out. But it has to be a stiff screen so it can hang over the curve, I think.
I have a half-moon tank so that doesn't make it easy. In hindsight, I probably should have bought a square/rectangular one. Too late now, I'll deal with it.
Another question: The clowns were snowflake hybrids and expensive. My LFS doesn't have anymore of those. Can I add an 'ordinary' ( sorry, clowns) one or would it have to be the same type?

Adrienne

Sorry to hear. My female jumped a few weeks back - well in saying she jumped I suspect it was when I was doing a water change on the tank. Both of them always were at the top, had never come down but were still fairly young.
The upside is that the replacement has hosted my torch coral so the male now hangs out over near it as well, and doesn't come to the top as often.
My understanding is that you can mix clowns but I am still a beginner :)

nmsalty

Thanks for the suggestions. I've re-screened the patio door before so that's what I'll do. It won't be pretty, I'm afraid. I won't be able to get the curve so I'll just make a rectangle big enough to cover. Oh well, lesson learned for the next tank.
Thanks to everyone for your help.

Travis

Administrator
Staff member
RS STAFF
If you're looking for a quick/cheap solution to cover the tank, you can get "eggcrate" from home depot/lowes in the lighting department. It's sold as a lighting diffuser. You can trim it to size with some wirecutters/pliers. Worked well for me... not the prettiest but it got the job done!

IanReefer

+1 for eggcrate.

Definitely get another clown, it will take some time for the old one to adjust to it. Clown fish are about as monogamous as humans....nothing helps us get over the last one like the next one.

Ian

nmsalty

I did get another clown and I have to share a little story...
I bought "Leia 2" to replace the one that jumped out. "Luke" had been trying to get close to my royal gramma but she wasn't interested. When I put the bag with Leia in the tank and set up my drip acclimation system, Luke swam over and twitched like crazy when he saw what was in the bag. It was the cutest thing and he looked so excited. It brought tears to my eyes, I'm not gong to lie.
Now they swim together everywhere and I'm so glad that I got another one. Totally worth it! :smile:

Pat24601

I did get another clown and I have to share a little story...
I bought "Leia 2" to replace the one that jumped out. "Luke" had been trying to get close to my royal gramma but she wasn't interested. When I put the bag with Leia in the tank and set up my drip acclimation system, Luke swam over and twitched like crazy when he saw what was in the bag. It was the cutest thing and he looked so excited. It brought tears to my eyes, I'm not gong to lie.
Now they swim together everywhere and I'm so glad that I got another one. Totally worth it! :smile:

Clown pairs are definitely cute. :). That's why almost all of us have them.

blazend

I have a half moon too and i had a puffer jump out as well. I didn't know puffers could even jump.

Clowns seem to do better when with a partner or hosting.