Clown fish with ich, alternative ways to treat W/out QT tank ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Cole that's a "moot" point. It's not a long-term situation so just get one and get started YESTERDAY! Can't you get your Dad or someone to help and get this treatment set up already? It's absurd to drag this out and the longer it goes the greater the potential for loss is. The refractometer will be cheaper than losing ALL of your fish no?

Step up to the plate and do the right thing and get this going.

michael_cb_125

Wanting the best is not going to help your fish. If you really want the best you would leave all fish in the ocean.
Yes a 50 or 100 gallon QT tank is "better" for a tang. But who has the space. money, or time that a QT that large would require. A 20 gallon will do the job. As BigAl said, you need to have all this done yesterday. :(
The longer you wait the worse things will be.
I know it seems like we are being hard, but we ARE looking out for you/your livestock.
~Michael

Cavinca

Sorry if i seem mad... didnt mean too. I even forgot the flippin link i was trying to share. hyposalinity-treatment-process

Cole. Listen up.

If all you have is a hydrometer... Use it. Clean it well and use the thing. Its better than nothing and better than dying fish.
You should save for a Refracto. They are important.
Dont worry bout screwing up the water because it wont hurt the fish that bad. just go slow about acclimating them each time you step the salinity down.

Do not wait for a 20 gallon tank. Go out and get a rubbermaid container and start the treatment. You have like 8 weeks to moniter the treatment. You can get a 20 gallon and move them while your treating them if you want to that bad.

I know you want to be able to see your fish and look at the pretty cool colors and all but think about what your fish are gonna look like if they dont build an immunity to the ick...

It's been 3 days since you started this post, alot of precious time wasted. Whether you do hypo or treat with meds, you need to be ready to have a QT at a moments notice. I dont have room for one, but I keep a large rubbermaid container, heater, powerhead & an old HOB filter. If I need to QT, I get it all out & use water from the DT.

I went on vacation for a week, fish were fine when I left, they got ich while I was gone & one fish ended up dead 4 days after I returned. Some fish it can kill quickly. If you are still reading & trying to learn how to do hypo & you dont have a refractometer then I wouldnt suggest doing it. That should have been researched way before the problem started.

I have treated my fish in the past with CopperSafe by Mardel & always had success if treated in time. It is NOT reef/invertebrate safe. It MUST be done in a QT. You need to do something fast or you will lose all of your fish. If you still cant make your mind up then return the fish to lfs so they cant treat them. Clock's ticking.....

ZAPCOnj

It's been 3 days since you started this post, alot of precious time wasted. Whether you do hypo or treat with meds, you need to be ready to have a QT at a moments notice. I dont have room for one, but I keep a large rubbermaid container, heater, powerhead & an old HOB filter. If I need to QT, I get it all out & use water from the DT.

I went on vacation for a week, fish were fine when I left, they got ich while I was gone & one fish ended up dead 4 days after I returned. Some fish it can kill quickly. If you are still reading & trying to learn how to do hypo & you dont have a refractometer then I wouldnt suggest doing it. That should have been researched way before the problem started.

I have treated my fish in the past with CopperSafe by Mardel & always had success if treated in time. It is NOT reef/invertebrate safe. It MUST be done in a QT. You need to do something fast or you will lose all of your fish. If you still cant make your mind up then return the fish to lfs so they cant treat them. Clock's ticking.....

michelle9491, you needed to add this to your post:
refi_clock_ticking.jpg

sorry i couldn't help myself...

sambrinar

Ahh yes, another entertaining thread from Cole... I have nothing to contribute, that hasn't already been said, and restated and stated again :D

Last edited:
Zap, I needed that laugh, I was probably even making that face!! :yup:

I've dealt with ich, just cant stand the thought of those fish suffering!

new reefer 03

new reefer 03

worst casenario is that i can fil up the 20g with mt Tank water, and just move very slowly on lowerring it until i get a refracto. is 20g safe to take from my tank all at once though? is there anychance of that acusing a cycle, or could i do like 10-15g tank water, and 5-10g new water for my QT?

yungreefer2410

this has been ansewered already. just hob filter ph heater and tank. prob much more cheaper to get a rubbermaid container. use mostly tank water. be ready with wc water. moniter closely

new reefer 03

well go to petco tonight for a reg 20g tank (hopefully) and maybe a HOB filter, just a cheapo like aquaclear? would that be okay?
also im not sure if any LFS cary refractos, i will call them when they open (i hate their temp. hours!) so just incase i found these spiffy ones online.
can you[ tell me if there is any difference, besides price on the 2?

Saltwater Aquarium Salinity & Specific Gravity Testing: Portable Refractometer
Vital Sine Refractometer

any thoughts on the 2 refractos i provided? i will start using the hydro, but when it gets in the 1.01ish i want a refracto.

sambrinar

Cole I will give you my opinion on the refractometers (not that it will matter), I have the first one you listed, works great.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Normally I'd say you get what you pay for but for what we're trying to do I don't see any need to spend that much more $$. It's only as accurate as you are in your testing and I don't see the need for being extremely (overly so in this case) precise. Save your $$$ and get the one Brenda suggested :)

new reefer 03

well, i said can we go to petco tonight, and he said "no"
he doesnt want any more tanks setup to dealwith. hes always been like this, but then i said when they die you pay me my $80 and he said fine. but i dont usually stop arguing for a while. ill provide some nice info like, its there lives, it will be setup in my room, it wont effect you in anyway. anyother suggestions ?
i mean really, not being able to is one thing, but being able to and not doing is another. now i understand the tratment pretty well, and feel comfortable performing it... :)

yungreefer2410

yea my dad is like that. be sure to mention the qt is only temp. after we move i'll have 3 tanks set up througout the house

new reefer 03

i stated its only temp. lol
just part of being under 18 i guess. but if he doesnt let me QT and they sadly bit the dust hes paying for them, and im buying new ones after 8 weeks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.