Cloudy Water...

jrf1175

Me again...questions are coming fast and furious these days :confused:

I woke up this morning to a tank with cloudy water. It isn't too bad, but noticeably cloudy.

Does anyone know what are the potential causes of this are? I think I have read snail breading at some point....I have some turbos and cerith snails now. Other than that I am a loss to try to explain this and am a little concerned.

Thanks in advance for your help

J

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
How new is your tank, what do you feed, what else is in it....90 gallon? what kind of filters? could be lots of different things...

jrf1175

How new is your tank, what do you feed, what else is in it....90 gallon? what kind of filters? could be lots of different things...

It's been running about 4-5 months now. Only feeding Cyclop-eeze flakes now.

Currently Livestock:
4 Green Chromis
2 Oc. Clowns
Sailfin Tang
Forgspawn
Open Brain
Ric. Yuma frag
2 cleaner Shrimp

Running Skimmer and Phosban reactor right now.

Thanks

tippMANn98

how much flakes are you feeding and how often?....it could be those...in my opinion dry food really sucks bad...ive seen a lot of cloud problems from freeze dried foods... besides that...thats all I can think of...you are not overcrowded at all...????? any body else have a better idea??

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Do you dose anything?? IF not it is either a bacterial bloom or something is stirring your sand bed. Test the ph, temp, ca & alk, salinity.

jrf1175

Not dosing anything....oh I do does Warner Marine Calmax a few times a week. Did so yesterday...but have many times with no reaction before.

Temp is 79.
PH. is 8.1-8.2

Will test others asap.

tippMANn98

that dose could have done it...maybe it just didnt agree with it this time...good call woodstock

tippMANn98

sometimes 1-2 times a day is too much(depending how much a pinch is to you)...if I feed dry, its gonna be a pellet food(spectrum) and only every other day...if that much.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
oh I do does Warner Marine Calmax a few times a week. Did so yesterday...but have many times with no reaction before.

Will test others asap.

I look forward to seeing your ca/alk results.

You should not have to dose ca/alk unless your tank is filled with calcium demanding corals/clams. Weekly water changes should provide all it needs.

Calcium of 380 ppm is fine and there is no need to shoot for higher amounts. Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

jrf1175

Skimmer is running well.....have Chaeto in the fuge.

Upon closer inspection (staring non-stop while I'm supposed to be working) it appears to be small yet still visible particulate matter that is causing this. I've stopped all flow to watch and it is not micro-bubbles (been there done that) as they are not rising.

Back to my snail breeding theory....any strength to that yet?

Haven't tested CA yet but after seeing this I don't think that is the problem.

Cheers

prow

i think, if it was your post, its the same issue you had with the micro(nitro) bubbles. creatures (bac and algae included)are still making homes in the rock and sandbed pushing things out into the current stirring things up. also if you are having nitro bubbles when they rise out of the sand they bubble up, which stirs things up. i still get things floating around from time to time. for temp use you can use a canister filter and filter socks on everything, i would only use them for a day or two before cleaning them out for reuse though.