Closed Loop Systems

WDCMarine

Does anyone have experience using closed loop systems? I have heard good things about them. I understand the initial investment is large because of the external pump, but performance is suppose to be outstanding. Anyone have pump recommendations and a GPH flow rate for a 75 system? I would like something fairly strong. I plan on doing SPS in the future.

WDCMarine

I won't have it drilled, so it will be similar to this one: Melevsreef.com - Closed Loop. He is using a Mag (500 gph I think) on a 29 gallon. So does that mean I would need something like a 1200 or 1500 gph pump. I plan on building a shelf on the back of the stand at tank height to support the pump and reduce the amount of force required to return the water into tank. Any Ideas?

Rye_84

I would like to eventually do the same thing on my 75. I havn't started shopping for anything yet. But my plan was to have the pump draw water from the overflow in the tank and then run pipes to the sides of the tanks. I'll let ya know what I find when I get to that point.

mps9506

I would recomend an Iwaki MD series pump, depending on what size you go with most are very quiet. The larger sizes do have a fan, which might make the noise louder than you like. Same with the Panworld pumps.
If you need a little more flow, the Sequence pumps would definately be the BEST way to go, they might cost a bit more, but these guys are as quiet as you get, and extremely reliable.

mps9506

I saw you want to do SPS, do you plan on having substrate or going Bare Bottom? That will make a huge difference.

mps9506

Well, you might run into issues running high flow for SPS with the sugar sized sand. I try to aim for 20-40x turnover in the display tank for SPS. So you would be looking at 1500-3000 gph turnover. 3000 gph might be much with the sand.
If you plan on keeping a mixed reef with SPS near the top, then concentrate your higher flow near the top and go with lower overall flow. 1500 gph would be fine. The flow can be diffused so LPS or soft corals can grow well underneath your SPS without getting ripped apart. Use 3-4 outlets to keep the flow from being concentrated in one or two spots. Outlets pointed at each other will help randomize the flow as well.

mps9506

It's amazing how quiet Sequence pumps are, especially given how much water they can move.

tbittner

Yeah, I'm completely sold on Sequence pumps. I must admit though, I haven't tried over brands.

I have two snappers and one barricuda. The barricuda ISN'T "hush" quiet but it's also pumping about 1700 gph through 55 feet of pipe through 10 90 degree turns and UP for a total of about 16 feet. I also had to tone it back just a bit with a ball valve because even with all the pipe and head, it can easily do more then the 1700 gph but that is all my overflow will handle.

The snappers are pumping up about 9 feet and I'm getting around 1500 gph through each of them. (different tank, different system then the reef)

WDCMarine

The Sequence ReefFlo Snapper Pump 2500 GPH from <a href="https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=75&products_id=404&osCsid=53c9911f395144f893f7ab914936f823">DiyReef.com</a> seems like the way to go. If I use a PVC ball valve to throttle it back, will the back pressure hurt the pump in anyway? I know it can damage cheaper pumps, but this one is pretty solid. I'm looking for hopefully a few years of use.

What is the main difference between this one and the Iwaki?

tbittner

It won't hurt the pump. In fact, that is one of the things that Sequence "brags" about, that their pumps aren't affected by simulated head pressure. It doesn't hurt them.

DO put the ball valve as far away from the pump as you can though...

fish wilson

in fact if you do throttle them back it will help the life of the pump, im using a hammer on my 180, i have this set up on an ocean motions, my 2 bottom returns are throttled back for small flow around the sand bed.

fish wilson

what ive got is 5 holes in the back of my tank, 1 feeds the pump, 2 are about4 inches from the bottom i plumbed on the inside and ran locline under my rock work and faced them in opposit dir, i also added ball valves to those return lines, the other 2 are closer to the top with locline. now all of this is with 1 pump. the oceans motions controls which holes the flow comes out of. it alternates from 1 top and bottom to the other top and bottom.

Triggerjay

I run a sequence Dart for my CL, and an iwaki 100 for my basement return pump, in a 125g. I have TONS of flow, and there is no need for any powerheads in the tank. (The look I was going for). I have no idea what my actual flow rate per hour is... but its up there. My CL has 6 over the top loc-line outputs, and the basement return has two outlets. I do however have the tank drilled for the pump input.

Jason

Triggerjay

Oh yeah, use large strainers on the CL intake/intakes. It will keep fish from getting stuck on them. I drilled two holes for my input just for this reason. It divides up the suction...

Hi Fish! Did the shop make it through the storm OK?

Jason