Clicking sound inside in tank

Shazbah

Just been sat pouring soda water over the rock. Nothing came out just a bristle worm. Poured many litres over every part of the rock and loads of small broken pieces came out but no pistol or mantis. Have now put rock back into normal salinity and im gonna dip in solution of 1.030sg. How long should i leave it in there for??
Thanks sharon

David Shaw

I sympathise, i stripped down my tank due to clicking. Drove me absolutely nuts.

It's strange that the freshwater and soda water didn't flush it.

After the dipping are your still hearing the clicking sound ?

When i dipped mine to clear the damned clicking sounds, i did a freshwater dip for 5 minutes and afterwards the clicking stopped for good. Nothing that i could identify as the culprit was ejected during the dip, but the clicking stopped.

Perhaps, like mine, the culprit croaked in the rock?

David Shaw

I have done both with success. Hyper salinity will kill the critters but the mushrooms should be ok.

Once you have dipped, before returning to the tank, isolate and monitor the sounds from the rock, as you might have killed whatever it is off without it being actually flushed out.

Mine stopped clicking completely after a dip but during the dip nothing got flushed, so i assume it just died within the rock.

Hope this helps.

Tab964

Its been awhile since I checked this post. My clicking has not stopped but I have not had the time to do a dip either. I think I have it pin pointed to one of two rocks. The smaller of the 2 weighs 26 pounds and I have to wait for a friend to help. I tried myself and could not hold the canopy lid and lift the rock. Wa afraid of dropping it while standing on a step stool. I think the fresh dip is what I will do I hope it comes out but the rocks have so many holes so this shrimp must be small.

Would a 5 or 10 minute dip kill this thing or should it be longer.

Shazbah

okay guys i've finished
I poured 6ltr of soda water on the rock and then repeated. I made sure i did'nt miss any holes in the rock. I then put it in a bucket of ro with a salinity of 1.035 and left for half an hour. When i looked in the bucket the bristle worms were in the bottom still wriggling, so i thought that if it has'nt killed them it might not kill the beast so i then put it in a bucket of ro water and left it for 20 minutes. At this stage my mushrooms started to melt but it's worth it if i get him.
I then left it in normal salinity for a while and now i've just finished rebuilding the tank. So far no clicking but it's early day's. Does anyone know if i will now get loads of water problems because of what i did to the rock??
Thanks for all your help
Sharon

Glaucus

Well, if it is in there it's dead. No idea why it wouldn't come out.

The high salinity method was so you didn't have to kill anything on the rock. And it should come out within seconds. So if it is really in there it's dead. Soda water and non-salinity water are worse of course. If you poor soda in it's den/cavity it should have come out for sure too.
Donno how probable it is for them to stay inside and die. Seems not too improbable. Assuming it is in there dead you want to get it out so you don't have something decaying away in your tank. Maybe you can try a knitting needle or metal wire.

Sad that some of these creatures are so shy and have to die like this. They are almost as amazing as octopus but they can be held as pets as well as octopus do badly.

If you put the rock in normal seawater then after a while all the bad water should be gone.

The mantis in the tank I have here, we are going to give up. We don't want to break down the rocks and webcam footage has indicated it just doesn't come out of the rocks for days on days. I think I have seen it once and it's small. So it won't do much damage. It may if it grows big and it's a species like chiragra or something.

David Shaw

Sharon

As you only dipped the one piece of rock you should be fine. You will probably bleach the coralline off it though.

When i dipped mine, i dipped every rock! What i did was add live bacteria, the type that are kept chilled in the fridge, from the LFS.

I double dosed the bacteria and aded 4 lots over a week and i had no problems luckily.

As you have only killed off the bacteria on one rock, your tank should be fine as you have other live rock in there to re-seed it.

Keep a check on your water testing but i don't anticipate a problem.

I personally would be happy to loose the mushrooms just to get rid of the damned clicking noises.

Shazbah

Glaucus I did'nt want to kill it but i had no option. I will never know what it was (pistol or mantis) or what it looked like. I did everything i could to catch it. I really would have liked to look at what was driving me so mad. I've got no way of getting it out of the rock if it's dead as it's a big piece with loads of holes.

David Thanks for the advice. The mushrooms have completely gone this morning but as you said it's a small price to pay to stop the clicking. I sat up till 3.45 this morning and did'nt hear a thing but it's still early day's. I have my fingers crossed. Gonna do a water change today then take some readings and keep my eye on it
Thanks Sharon

David Shaw

Fingers crossed. Keep us posted.

I don't have clicking now and i can't tell you what a relief it is. I was ready to throw the whole lot outta the window and start from scratch!

Shazbah

banthony David states he did a 50% water change and yes you are correct but he also states that he added bacteria which should get things back to normal
Sharon

goldenmean

My N.Wennerae has been in my DT for 3 years and he has been a good tank mate.
He is a smasher and not a spearer.
I feed him regularly and he rarely takes out a snail.
Here is a recent Photo and and older one that shows his curiosity.

Shake.jpg

Attachments

• Mantis5.jpg
    Mantis5.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 106

Glaucus

I'd love to take a good look at the mantis that hitchhiked into this tank. He doesn't even come out of the rocks when no one is around(webcam).

Shazbah

Goldenmean That thing gives me the shivers just looking at it:scram: :

Still no clicking in the tank:dance:
Glaucus Curiosity will always make me wonder what it was in my tank and what it looked like. Now i will never know
Sharon

1Reefer

I love em! They're crazt smart (it seems like anyway). That is a beautiful mantis also Goldenmean, how big is your DT?

goldenmean

My DT is a standard 55g.
The mantis' main lair is about 4 inches from the anchor coral that hosts my picasso clowns and he has never bother them.

btw in that first photo my finger is OUTside of the acrylic.
but the mantis has popped me before. It startled me because I knew what did it but it did not really hurt at all. It was like getting finger flicked pretty good. However my reaction was to yank my hand out of the tank so fast i think a gallon of water came out with my arm before I realized that there was no harm done. :laughroll