Click click click!

Stephane Cote

Hello everyone.. i need your input. I think i know what is hiding but i need ur advice/opinion.

for the past 5 days i've been hearing 'clicking' randomly in my tank at night. I did notice this before in the past (every now and then) randomly during the day as well. The clicking is loud, kinda like a clip springing back or like snapping of figures.

I did a bit of research and most sites I've scanned mention either a pistol shrimp or a "shutters" mantis. Now i had 2 hitchhiker mantis shrimp when i got my LR (over a year ago) and that was taking care of. I believe it is a pistol shrimp. The reason i say that is i have not lost anything "yet" and my shells are still intact on dead snails (probably because they were overturned and got eaten by my hermit crabs.) I tried to locate said 'unknown' clicking and i have located it to be in one area of the tank. Cant be sure 100%. I tried looking for it but did not spot the animal. I do spot check my tank very frequently since my bobbit worm with a red light and have not seen anything out of the ordinary indicating anything else was in there.

I thought it was the heater/equipment but i dbl checked everything and it's not originating from there.

i guess if it is a mantis ill eventually see things disappear and shells crack and at that point it should be big enough for me to spot it. Should i get a watchman goby and see if he 'finds' the pistol shrimp. if it is, are they harmful?

Thanks

Steph

sirrealism

Very interesting. Anything could happen but wouldnt you think that a hitchhiker thats been in the tank for a year, Wouldnt you have seen some remnants? A molt? A mantis would have had to eat during that time right? A pistol shrimp would have molted several times right? Do you have other shrimp that have molted? Dont mantis molt too? I will be fallowing along to see what this is. Good luck

Stephane Cote

Very interesting. Anything could happen but wouldnt you think that a hitchhiker thats been in the tank for a year, Wouldnt you have seen some remnants? A molt? A mantis would have had to eat during that time right? A pistol shrimp would have molted several times right? Do you have other shrimp that have molted? Dont mantis molt too? I will be fallowing along to see what this is. Good luck

All very good points. I do have 1 other shrimp and have seen molt from it. but i don't recall seeing anything out of the ordinary. like you said.. it's been there for at least a year.. i would have seen something in my opinion.

reefle

I think it's a pistol. Mine makes the exact same noise at random times. Plus I've never seen a molt from him. Maybe because it molts and deteriorates in his burrow before I see it?

Stephane Cote

update: i woke up this morning and noticed my yellow tang got his tail fin clipped. so something probably nipped at it when it was sleeping

Stephane Cote

Hey guys long time no reply. reason is, other than the clicking there were no progress.. until last night. I was scanning the tank and heard very loud clicks from 1 rock, since the rock sits on top of everything else it's very accessible. I took the rock up and from a hole i see a shrimp like creature.. it seemed to have black strips on it's back (hard to say with a red light). i tried to take the rock out but i think i spooked it to run to another rock. I isolated the rock and haven't seen anything. he was about the side of a 5c piece

i remember seeing mantis shrimps when i was setting up my tank, but they looked a bit different.. for one they were all dark and big eyes. this one was more white is with smaller eyes.

Steph