Clavius' 34g Solana

Clavius

Hey ReefSanctuary! This is my 34g Solana that has been setup for a little over 3 months now. Let me know what you think!

Tank: 34g Solana
Light: 250w Sunpod
Stand: Custom Built
Heater: 150w Stealth Pro
Rock: Appox. 35lbs
Substrate: 30lbs Aragonite .5-1mm
Flow: 2x Koralia 1's
Skimmer: Stock Solana Skimmer

Livestock
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Six-Line Wrasse
1 Purple Firefish
1 Pygmy Angelfish
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
4 Turbo Snails
Various Cerith, Dwarf Cerith and Nassarius snails

Corals
Frogspawn
GSP
Green Nepthea
Kenya Tree
Red Blastomussa Merletti
Orange Montipora Capricornis
Purple Montipora Capricornis
Green w/brown polyp Montipora Capricornis
Duncanopsammia
Green Caulastrea
Green Ricordea Yuma's
Various Zoanthids

FTS as of 1/21/10:
DSCF1702.jpg

DSCF1670.jpg

DSCF1683.jpg

DSCF1698.jpg

DSCF1685.jpg

DSCF1716.jpg

DSCF1712.jpg

DSCF1711.jpg

DSCF1705.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks!

Here's a recent video of my tank:
YouTube - Solana Update

Your post was caught in the spam filter. I cleared one of them. THe rest are duplicates you kept trying to post :)
After a few more posts this should stop. Our filters determine how may posts you have made before allowing any links helping to avoid spam and such for security purposes.

qsligh

Dude,
AWESOME looking tank! I've got the same tank that I'm in the process of setting up. How long did it take for your skimmer to stop producing micro-bubbles? I hope I can achieve the same results.....really looks great!

Clavius

Dude,
AWESOME looking tank! I've got the same tank that I'm in the process of setting up. How long did it take for your skimmer to stop producing micro-bubbles? I hope I can achieve the same results.....really looks great!

Thank you! I haven't had any problems with the skimmer producing micro-bubbles. In my experience I get micro-bubbles when the water level in the rear chambers gets too low.

Muze813

Clavius, have you been happy with your lighting? I recently bought this same tank and light combo. I am excited about it, and if your tank is any indication, the light will work great. Just wanted your thoughts. Thanks

Christina

Clavius

Oh man, I totally forgot that I had posted my tank here at ReefSanctuary. Thanks for all the comments everyone and I apologize for not getting back to you in answering any questions about the tank. So how about an update?!

Since my last post here there have been some big changes to this tank. I unfortunately had to sell my Six-Line Wrasse because it was harassing one of my clowns. And in it's place I decided to get a Mandarin Dragonet. They're very difficult fish to care for but I'm working on training it to eat Mysis shrimp. I already have it eating Hikari Brine Shrimp and Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp. So the next step will be to slowly switch it over to the Mysis (hopefully). I also had to move my Peppermint Shrimp over to my 7.5g Pico as it was stealing food from corals and really making me mad. So that guy is gone too.

At the moment I'm still using the stock skimmer that came with the Solana. However, I'm not sure it's doing much of anything anymore. It used to pull out some great skimmate. But now it just seems to be pure tank water. I've adjusted the cup up and down countless times to no avail. So at some point in the future I'm going to have to upgrade the skimmer. I'll probably go with the Tunze 9002 since Sapphire went out of business.

Regarding the lighting, I'm very happy with the 250w Sunpod. I'm glad I got one when I did as Current USA stopped making them. I can't imagine 150w being enough for this tank. The 250w just seems perfect. I've had some great growth. I'm still using the stock 14k bulb that came with the Sunpod but I will eventually swap it out for a 14k Phoenix bulb.

Here's the latest FTS of my tank:

DSCF1911.jpg

And a video I just shot:

YouTube - Tank Update 4.28.10

In it you can see the Mandarin diner that I have setup. I put a 1/4 cube of frozen food in the cup and it eventually thaws. The Mandarin finds its way over to the cup and seems to have figured out by now that that is the place to go get something to eat.

A few more pics...

DSCF1880.jpg

DSCF1836.jpg

DSCF1838.jpg

DSCF1841.jpg

DSCF1846.jpg

DSCF1849.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Clavius

Well... aside from just double posting I'm not sure what's going on with the previous post I tried to submit. I had written up a big up date to my tank but I guess I'll just write it up all over again...

Shannibanani

Beautiful tank! I have the Solana 34g system as well and I've been nothing but happy with it. Did you buy the complete system with tank, stand and light? Have you seen the new wood trim kits for the top?

Clavius

Beautiful tank! I have the Solana 34g system as well and I've been nothing but happy with it. Did you buy the complete system with tank, stand and light? Have you seen the new wood trim kits for the top?
Thanks! I'm in the process of re-writing my update for this thread. So I'll have some more pics and a new video here in a minute.

I bought the tank by itself from PetSolutions.com. For lighting I started out with the 20" Nova Extreme Pro (6x18wT5HO). But after finding that replacement bulbs for that length of fixture were hard to find I snatched up a new 250w Sunpod. I also have the wood trim kit with hinged glass top. But unfortunately I just broke the glass top the other day so I'm having to use the stock glass top on the wood trim kit.

Clavius

Well the long update I had written got lost somehow when I tried to post it. I think because I don't have many posts here that it required moderator approval or something. But I'm impatient so here we go again...

A lot has happened to this tank in the past few months. For one, I had to catch and sell my favorite fish, my Six-Line Wrasse. It was picking on the smaller of my two clowns and I had had enough of that. So to replace it I made the decision to get a Mandarin Dragonet. They're difficult fish to care for but I did a lot of research and I'm confident that I can get it trained to eat frozen foods. I also had to get rid of my Peppermint shrimp because he was stealing food from my corals BIG TIME. That was driving me nuts. Anyway, here are a few pics and a video:

YouTube - Tank Update 4.28.10

Latest FTS:

DSCF1911.jpg

DSCF1880.jpg

DSCF1859.jpg

DSCF1857.jpg

DSCF1849.jpg

DSCF1848.jpg

DSCF1846.jpg

DSCF1841.jpg

Thanks for looking!