Clams Spawning at the same time in Home aquarium

Willie McDaries

I just placed an order with Jareds fine reefery LOL but I'll have to wait until week after next to get it,but I got some sweet stuff coming :D

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
ohh ahhh... not? this isn't something you want happening in your tank, this can take your tank down real fast if your not ready for it, within an hour and a half the die off can plummet oxygen levels and wipe out everything, tank spawns are usually stress induced events and are considered a survival spawning, when I see something like that it makes me cringe lol

ChrisY

You read the same Adv Aquasist article I did Sas? Yeah, it can be a killer, but still nice to see it happen though, especially if it isn't stress induced.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
You read the same Adv Aquasist article I did Sas? Yeah, it can be a killer, but still nice to see it happen though, especially if it isn't stress induced.
I have read that article but sadly what I know came from a good friend who had a big disaster, same clam two separate tanks, both no happy endings

RalfP

Hi all,
thank you very much for your kind words on my vid and tank.

@ChrisY
it's 870 gal / 3300 liters
300x130x85 cm

@sasquatch
sorry to hear about your friends tank.
I can assure you, there is totally no problem with such "mass"-spawning in my tank.
It happens at least 3 times a year and the tank is clean 2 hours after spawning began.
Lots of water movement, skimming, UV etc..
Looking at the fishes there is no sign of reduced oxygen, no fast breathing, they're
only a little irritated by the "clouds".

Best regards,
Ralf

ChrisY

I didn't realize you were on RS! Lovely tank you have there! Please share your experiences if you can.

Chris

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Hi all,
thank you very much for your kind words on my vid and tank.

@ChrisY
it's 870 gal / 3300 liters
300x130x85 cm

@sasquatch
sorry to hear about your friends tank.
I can assure you, there is totally no problem with such "mass"-spawning in my tank.
It happens at least 3 times a year and the tank is clean 2 hours after spawning began.
Lots of water movement, skimming, UV etc..
Looking at the fishes there is no sign of reduced oxygen, no fast breathing, they're
only a little irritated by the "clouds".

Best regards,
Ralf

Hi Ralf, by the looks of your tank it can/does handle the joyjoy lol, however, your tank is not exactly "typical" of most, yours I would have to categorize as advanced with a capital A and a couple of ++'s.
I hope you can find the time to post some more on your tank and methods, cheers!

Jerry

To be frank to you, I don't have the slightest idea at all on how a clam reproduce until I've seen the video here. :cool:

RalfP

Thank you very much again, I really like to browse through your forum here.
But well... I am no native speaker, so reading 2 engl. forums (rc and here) is quite time consuming for me and getting into deep discussions at least doubles the effort.
So I have to think twice, before posting here and discussing. ;-(

Jerry,
as I understand (and proved in some experiments) spawning of tridacna clams runs in different stages:

- one clam due to stress or having enough mature eggs starts releasing only sperms
(clam farms often start this with putting one clam directly in the sun (without water) and wait some min.)
- other clams sense the hormones in the water and start also sperm release
(putting garmetes into the fridge to use them later for initiating spawning also works, its only the hormones that trigger.)
- young clams only act as a male, having only sperms
- half an hour later
- short break
- mature clams start releasing eggs, young ones stop
- half an hour later all stops

Due to this stages, I think its nearly impossible to self-fertilize in a real reef.
In my system, there is way too few water for this mechanism to work :-(
there are too many sperms for the few eggs, so many sperms on each egg will kill it.

Taking a clam out of the water in a bucket and setting it in another bucket with new water after first stage works.
Counting perm/eggs concentration under a microscope and mix them with the right ratio works.
The developing larvae catch zooxanthellae from the water before settling down.
I read that the mature clams release some more than normal at the right time.
Clamfarms shredder a mantle from a prior living clam and drop the filtered zooxanthellae into the larvae tank.
(I have a big old donor clam, that had to spend a mantle-piece for my experiments)

I tried it several times by myself in different 200liter containers and all worked fine to the point
were the larvae should settle down, but this did not happen in my raising tanks.
I think the reason for failing is that I used changewater from my reef and this had too many heavy metals in that time.
Have to try it again with new made-up water (aged)... but the effort is quite big with several thousand liter water, filtering larvae, new water etc.

Best regards,
Ralf

ChrisY

Ralf,

Ich speche nur ganz wenig deutsch. So your English is better than my German!

Thanks for the explanation on the spawning process!

Chris