Claic's 29 Gal. First Timer Tank - Please give me advice!

Hi,

I am new to this hobby and would like to say hello to everyone on this board. Since i am a newbie I thought it would be a good idea to start my own thread up so I can ask any questions I have and show updates of my tank all in the same place.

I have an Eclipse hood with 2 T8 florescent bulbs and the filter is an Eclipse with a Bio-Wheel. I also just purchased one Power Head that you can see below in the pics.

Also, the window behind my tank will not cause any problems with it. There is a patio that is at least 10 foot long and I live on the fourth floor of my apartment complex. Also there is a huge hill right behind this building blocking the sun from getting in anymore so I should be fine.

Well this is my setup at exactly two weeks today.

DSCF1966.jpg

DSCF1967.jpg

DSCF1970.jpg

DSCF1971.jpg

My biggest question is why haven't I hit my diatom bloom that everyone says comes when going through your first cycle? I mean I should be half way there correct? So why no change execpt my Ammonia levels are increasing slightly with everything else staying zero. I just got a bottle of Purple Up and added some today so hopefully that helps to bring on the awesome coralline algae. Anyway like I said as of now I really would just like to know why I am not getting any red algae blooms or anything for that matter changing in my tank.

Also, I forgot to put a background on the back and sides of my tank. Is this still possible to do?

Thanks!

k

#1 - purple up, get rid of it
i used it daily for 2 weeks, massive problems. throw it out, you already threw the money away....

#2, what have you used to start the cycle? anything? or just the die off from the LR?

k

#1 - purple up, get rid of it
i used it daily for 2 weeks, massive problems. throw it out, you already threw the money away....

#2, what have you used to start the cycle? anything? or just the die off from the LR?

I also put in some Live Sand along with the live rock. What does the purple up do to your tank?

Can I add a blue background to my tank now or is it too late?

Welcome.. I too am a newbie ... maybe just a couple of weeks ahead of you. You'll get lots of great help and advice on this forum.

I can't comment on the "purple-up". I've seen it, but I don't know anything about it.

As far as I know, you can add a background to your tank at any time. I just bought the colored film at the LFS (local fish store) and taped it on the outside of the back of the tank. There may be a better way to do this, but I was fairly happy with the result. Most of the film at the LFS is two sided. Mine is black on one side and blue on the other. I used the black side, but I'm thinking of trying the blue to see how it looks.

Best of luck.

John

Welcome.. I too am a newbie ... maybe just a couple of weeks ahead of you. You'll get lots of great help and advice on this forum.

I can't comment on the "purple-up". I've seen it, but I don't know anything about it.

As far as I know, you can add a background to your tank at any time. I just bought the colored film at the LFS (local fish store) and taped it on the outside of the back of the tank. There may be a better way to do this, but I was fairly happy with the result. Most of the film at the LFS is two sided. Mine is black on one side and blue on the other. I used the black side, but I'm thinking of trying the blue to see how it looks.

Best of luck.

John

Thanks very much,

For some reason I thought the background went in the tank ha ha.

Anyway, how long has your tank been set up? Got any critters yet?

I'm having trouble testing for everything. I don't seem to have any Nitrites or Nitrates and I barely have any ammonia. Also I can't tell through my tests what my pH is, its way to close to tell you know?

Is there a better way to test?

astiesi

A common practice which gets the cycle process started is to add a deli shrimp to the system. This provides a source of decaying organic matter which then results in ammonia. Once the ammonia is introduced the bacteria colonies necessary for turning the ammonia into nitrites and then the nitrites into nitrates can begin to build. Once the ammonia and nitrites go to zero, the tank should be ready for livestock, following a water change of course.

A common practice which gets the cycle process started is to add a deli shrimp to the system. This provides a source of decaying organic matter which then results in ammonia. Once the ammonia is introduced the bacteria colonies necessary for turning the ammonia into nitrites and then the nitrites into nitrates can begin to build. Once the ammonia and nitrites go to zero, the tank should be ready for livestock, following a water change of course.

Alright I actually just put two Ocean Nutrition Formula One Marine Pellets in because this is one of the things I plan on feeding my fish. Should I leave it at that or add the shrimp?

Also see the long filter tube I have in my tank? Its god awful and ugly and I would like to know if it would hurt anything if I were to cut it shorter like by a lot and just have the filter be at the top?

astiesi

Adding the marine pellets will work as well. The only thing I don't like about using fish food is most processed fish foods contain phosphates used as a preservative. Algae feeds off of phosphates and I don't like adding anything that will help algae growth. A frozen, raw deli shrimp costs next to nothing and contains no preservatives.

Adding the marine pellets will work as well. The only thing I don't like about using fish food is most processed fish foods contain phosphates used as a preservative. Algae feeds off of phosphates and I don't like adding anything that will help algae growth. A frozen, raw deli shrimp costs next to nothing and contains no preservatives.

So should I add in the shrimp also? Another thing my ammonia levels havent changed at all everything is still at zero and its been two weeks. Is something wrong?

yungreefer2410

i would add a deli shrimp. if you want coral you'll need to get rid of those lights and get some t5s (best option for your tank IMO). a hob protein skimmer is very beneficial (IMO) and not necessary weekly water changes (wc) should work out nicely. also what kind of water are you using? (as in RO tap distilled RO/DI

i would add a deli shrimp. if you want coral you'll need to get rid of those lights and get some t5s (best option for your tank IMO). a hob protein skimmer is very beneficial (IMO) and not necessary weekly water changes (wc) should work out nicely. also what kind of water are you using? (as in RO tap distilled RO/DI

The water I am using is just coming fro my sink and I a mixing in Instant ocean sea salt .

Where can I get this shrimp from and how big should it be?

bllfish

The key to success in this hobby is research. If I were you I would stop everything and begin reading through the forums. You will save a lot of time and money by reading before buying. The tap water you are using will cause nothing but problems.
Click on yungreefer2410 "my learning experience" two post above for a starter.

The key to success in this hobby is research. If I were you I would stop everything and begin reading through the forums. You will save a lot of time and money by reading before buying. The tap water you are using will cause nothing but problems.
Click on yungreefer2410 "my learning experience" two post above for a starter.

I couldn't find the thread above you were talking about and I am a little confused as to why my water is going to not be ok? I also mixed in the AquaSafe solution to make the tap water alright is that not enough? I tap water isn't good then what should I be using?

bllfish

I couldn't find the thread above you were talking about and I am a little confused as to why my water is going to not be ok? I also mixed in the AquaSafe solution to make the tap water alright is that not enough? I tap water isn't good then what should I be using?
Here is the thread.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/35659-my-learning-experience.html

Tap water is not good to use in an aquarium because it contains a lot of additives the water company uses to purify water..??. Chlorine and stuff with names that seem to contain every letter in the alphabet that is not found in sea water are added before the water comes out of our taps. Even well water may contain things that are toxic to the marine environment. Our goal in setting up a saltwater tank is to try and mimic the ocean and the environment that the coral and/or fish in our tanks will be able to survive and thrive in. Adding more chemicals to clean the water we are using is a formula for disaster. You would be wise to invest in an RODI filter for your water or at least purchase water from your local fish store.
Try searching through this forum for threads about new tanks. You will find a wealth of information here and the members will be more than happy to help with the problems we all faced when we started up our first tank. Remember, go very slow. It probably will take the better part of two months just to get your tank ready for fish and corals. You need to get a lot of information, possibly read some books, and decide if you are ready to make the commitment and investment to keep a salt water tank.
Good Luck

What is RODI water? Sorry total noob here completely lost. When should my ammonia levels spike and will it happen in like a day or will it happen gradually. Like I test one day and they are very low and the next day they are really high or does it gradually get higher?

Also, how much GPH, I have no idea what it means if you could help me out that would be great I know its water flow but exactly what it means, should I have in a 29 gallon tank?

bllfish

Get this book:
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta

You should be able to get most of your questions answered and it is a good guide to being successful with your new tank.

Get this book:
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta

You should be able to get most of your questions answered and it is a good guide to being successful with your new tank.

Alright thank you very much, can you buy RO/DI water from Petco or Wal-Mart?