cioutlaws 120gal.

cioutlaw

Some updated pics now that things are back to normal

DSC01330.JPG

DSC01331.JPG

DSC01332.JPG

candy cane frag
DSC01317.JPG

Devils Hand Leather frag, mushroom & green zoos..hairy mushroom in the background. can anyone identify the green stalks coming out of the rock?
DSC01318.JPG

Frogspawn & a Zoo colony
DSC01319.JPG

Finger leather frag
DSC01320.JPG

Coral Beauty, Just picked this guy up today:) :)
DSC01323.JPG

Some pimple Mushrooms & a Colt coral
DSC01326.JPG

A Toad Stool leather, orange Zoos & a turqoise mushroom colony in the center. All the fish want their picture taken:D
DSC01327.JPG

Hope to go coral shopping this weekend:thumbup:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Nice pics! Beautiful fish!

The green stalks are a type of macro algae... the name escapes my mind right now...

mattie

RS Sponsor
first the tank looks great and very clean install good job!
what are the dimensions of the tank?
becouse it doesn't look like a traditional 120g size most 120's are 24x24x 48 and yours looks tall and thin.
but i must commend you it is very obvious that you took your time to plan it out....

cioutlaw

mattie said:
first the tank looks great and very clean install good job!
what are the dimensions of the tank?
becouse it doesn't look like a traditional 120g size most 120's are 24x24x 48 and yours looks tall and thin.
but i must commend you it is very obvious that you took your time to plan it out....

it is 48x24x24, might look thin because it has the rocks are in the center & not along the back. pictures might be a lil deceiving

thanks for the compliments

cioutlaw

Ive been having a problem with poor flow..mostly because all the sump water is returned all at one end of the tank & trapping proteins ect. at the surface on the oposite end from the returns. I did not want power heads so here is my idea im trying.

basicly it is a 3/4" loop around the preimeter of the tank with 6 Hydor rotators fed by the sump return pump
DSC01334.JPG

so far it is working good...not a huge amount of flow but it is distributed very good..i was affraid some heads would be stronger than others but they all seem pretty even. I have also placed 1 MJ1200 hanging from a overflow where it is not so noticable.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Very nice thread. I also like the electrical set up and plumbing. Well done!
Im not to sure of the return idea though and am curious to see it in action.
I have some ideas on how to improve it if your interested for more strenth and flow. But on the whole i have to say your tank rocks dude. :)

kromebusa

Sharp lookin tank, my buddy is getting ready to upgrade from his 55 gallon also, the side return is a great idea. What are the pvc joints? Your elbows and 90's look like compression fittings? No blue goo? Getting ideas to set his up.

cioutlaw

FFrankie said:
Very nice thread. I also like the electrical set up and plumbing. Well done!
Im not to sure of the return idea though and am curious to see it in action.
I have some ideas on how to improve it if your interested for more strenth and flow. But on the whole i have to say your tank rocks dude. :)

Im always open for ideas....let me have it :) ..so far this setup distributes flow VERY evenly which I like. Either the 1200GPH pump doesent like the resistance of extra fittings & Hydor rotators or its just so even it doesnt seem like 1200GPH. The water in the return overflow seems normal so maybe its just the even flow? I have another plan if I decide I dont like this one.

Krome...the fittings are just standard PVC socket fittings but I didnt use any glue. This might be trial basis only & they dont leak anything noticible.

cioutlaw

Witfull said:
prolly was the rock, stronger flow in the tank leached out the "still curing" stuff inside the rock. as long as there is something left of the xenia, it may come back,,,delicate yet hardy critter. all corals hate ammo, trites and high trates. i see waterchanges in your future~

You were right..Xenia is coming back, can barlely see it but it is there:thumbup:

zooman

Wow wow wow, I really like this set up! All the DIY stuff you have done is terrific. I wish I had your talent. It is obvious you put very much thought into every detail.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The tank looks great cioutlaw !
The PVC around the perimeter of the tank is a very cool ideia and reminds me of a thread at RC by Anthony Calfo where he suggested something similar calling it a manifold. Too bad you don't have a powerful pump dedicated to it instead of the return pump, you could get some serious flow.

Frankie

RS STAFF
cheeks69 said:
The tank looks great cioutlaw !
The PVC around the perimeter of the tank is a very cool ideia and reminds me of a thread at RC by Anthony Calfo where he suggested something similar calling it a manifold. Too bad you don't have a powerful pump dedicated to it instead of the return pump, you could get some serious flow.
well cheeks beat me to it :) i was also thinking of less outlets but that sums it up. An ampmaster 3000 would put that puppy to the max with good flow in a 120. Thats what i use on my closed loop on my 120. awesome work you did either way.

cioutlaw

thanks for the kind wrds Zoo, cheeks & ffrankie.

Another pump was plan B. I will draw a picture of my plan tomorrow & see what you guys think.

cioutlaw

dreams, I have mine held in place with nylon wire ties going around the center brace & legs of the light fixture. If it becomes permanet in the future I will do something different.