Chronicle I, Tank III: Big Reefin' Project

Just a few crappy pictures. I'm so getting a new camera for myself for xmas!

You can see my blue hippo is the largest fish in the tank at almost 3 inches. The female false perc is about the same size and the male is about a half inch shorter, the b&w percs are half there size and the chromis are a quarter to half an inch bigger than the b&w percs.

fts
102_1633.jpg

102_1640.jpg

102_1641.jpg

102_1643.jpg

102_1644.jpg

102_1645.jpg

102_1650.jpg

102_1656.jpg

102_1658.jpg

Thanks guys!

Yeah they're pc's. Tryin to save up for some metal halide's but its tough around xmas with 3 kids lol! Thanks new reefer. They're 2 36" Coralife Lunar Aqualight Deluxe PC's. Its a 96w 10k and a 96w actinic 03. They came with the tank. I've got a 36" Tek Light 4x39w t5 on my 46g bowfront, would like to throw it on top to see how they look but this tank is so deep(31 inches) and i'd like to keep some sps eventually. So i'm thinkin mh's is the way to go, input appreciated.

new reefer 03

yea, i would say MH, or T5 for SPS, if you get MH most likely you will need a chiller (lots of money ;)) i would get a bunch of T5s, with ind. reflectors.
T5s put out a lot less heat than MH, and in my opinion you can get a better color with T5s. you can get the color YOU want with T5s, because there are so many on your tank i would guess about 10-15 depending on how wide it is.

Yeah, its a 72Lx24Wx31H. I love my Tek Light T5's. Its only a 4 bulb fixture tho. Would need alot more than that for how deep it is.

JoJo

Hey Andrew, i just ran across your thread...congrats on the new tank. i'm subscribed now and looking forward to the progress

Quick update, been a while since I have had a chance to put one up here. Currently have a nice 3 to 3.5 inch yellow tang in quarantine, been in for two weeks as of yesterday and she's doin awesome! Also had two black misbar percs in the tank, was going to try for the multiple pairs of clowns in the 240 trick but it failed, my false percs are paired up already and were quite a bit larger than the B&W's and began to pick on em. So in the 46g bowfront in the upstairs living room went the B&W's, they look great under the t5's and they doin great also. I've also added my first coral to the 46g, gonna keep some sps under the t5's. Can't wait to add new lighting to the 240, got over $500 saved up already! Been doing weekly 25% water changes on both tanks and the params are very good, disturbed the sand bed a bit and got a small diatom bloom in the 46 but its going away very slowly.

Now for the really bad news. My blue hippo tang has HLLE, she's been eating great and looked perfectly fat and fine yesterday and went down to the basement today and she's got about four to five holes on each side. She's still eating great and swimming fine, went and picked up some Zoe and added that to my nighttime feeding of purple nori. She attched it like always, so we'll see what happens.

Pics to come soon. Wife's birthday is the seventh and i'm getting her a DSLR camera(kind of a gift for myself too lol!) Trying to read as much about them as possible, lookin at either a Pentax or a Nikon. Any recommendations would be great! Thanks for checkin in guys, and I hope everyone's having better days with their tanks and livestock than I am today, hopefully my blue hippo pulls through! Have a good one guys!

Here's some quick pics I ran across from thanksgiving. Here's our oldest baby, she's twelve and still is as athletic and rambunctiuos as all get out...as you can see by the scratch, the bruise, and the scab on her eye she later scratched off that she got from running through the woods after a coon the day before thanksgiving lol! She jumped our four foot chain link fence, pretty crazy and her old hips were hurtin after that. Better than our old house, she plowwed thru our wooden privacy fence tryin to chase a deer, head first and broke thru one of the boards. Lol!

I got a booboo...
102_1505.jpg

I was cuttin the turkey on thanksgiving day and she trapped me in the kitchen and sat pretty until I gave her a nice chunk of turkey!
102_1588.jpg

Look daddy...bling bling!
102_1591_edited-1.jpg

Hey guys, quick update. Sorry no pics yet, still waitin on getting a new camera for the wife. My blue hippo is doing great, went and picked up some Zoe from the LFS and doubled the feeding for a couple days and she looks perfect, still has a couple bumps on her side but the spots that were lookin like holes or the beginning or HLLE are completely gone. Everyone's doing great and now i'm really beginning to contemplate my lighting upgrade and my flow upgrades for tax refund season! I just purchased two Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactors for the 240 and one for my 46g last week, should be here Monday or Tuesday, the holiday thru off the shipping!

One more week in QT for my Yellow Tang and then into the 240 she'll go. Hope she doesn't bully my blue hippo, may leave her in the QT for one or two extra weeks to monitor the blue hippo so she doesn't get stressed out and the HLLE returns when the Yellow is intro'd.

All in all the Zoe on top of more multi vitamin and garlic along with doubled feedings has done wonders, so if i do cut it back it won't be by much. Enough to keep my levels in tact, last thing I need is a huge algae bloom from something stupid like overfeeding. Thanks for checkin out the thread guys. KU's bout to play Tennessee at one so I gotta get ready, ROCK CHALK! Have a good one!

JoJo

Hey Andrew, keep the updates coming. and give some pics, any pics are good pics.

question: i noticed the white pvc in the middle of tank, is that drain or return? have you had any problems with your sump over flowing (you do have a sump right?), if so its because the pipe sits too low.

other than that everything is nice.