Chronicle I, Tank III: Big Reefin' Project

Hey guys, quick update. After the dust storm cleared the other day, I added a couple of deli shrimp to get the cycle startin. Added four total and after two days my readings are:

Temp: 78 degrees
Spec Gravity : 1.024
Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrite: 1.0
Nitrates: 0
pH : 8.2
Calcium : 480

I'll probably be taking the shrimp out tomorrow afternoon since the cycle has started depending on if the reading have gone up. Gotta do some searchin under a couple rocks. One of the shrimp didn't fit in a nylon bag so I tied a string to it, and wasn't thinkin ahead and once it started to decay it fell apart and sank to the bottom. Its now falling apart on the bottom of the tank at the base of a couple rocks, I wanna get it outta there before it really starts to stink! Anyway, I'll post some pictures tomorrow of where the aquascaping is so far, I plan to make a couple shelfs too with some rock that's still in the garage. Thanks guys, have a good day.

JBmynes

Why is it that our kids always have to climb in to new tanks... My 6 year old Caiden jumped in mine when I was setting up... lol

Lol, yeah I was actually the first in the tank. Then Ethan, my 20 month old, saw me in it and wanted it, then Kaden came home from school and wanted to hop in so I had an 8 year old an a 2 year old in the tank for almost an hour. My daughter who's 4 is still upset cause she was out shopping with mommy and didn't get home until daddy was already fillin up the tank with RO/Di water. So she asked the next time we get a really big tank can I get in, and I said sure honey and looked at my wife with a big grin on my face....

....of course my wife looked back at me like she was trying to burn a hole in my forehead with her eyes!

Hey guys quick question, I had placed 4 deli shrimp in the tank to start the cycle, got 3 of them out after bein in there for 3 days and startin to stink. My ammonia and nitrite levels were at 1 yesterday so i took the 3 shrimp out. One of them had broke in half while attached to a string and part of it fell into an exposed part on the egg crate and i can't get it out. Do i need to somehow "fish" it outta there or can I just let it deteorate through the cycle? But if i did leave it wouldn't it keep my ammonia levels high until it final completely decayed? I may try making a really long pair of chop sticks this afternoon and try and get it, if not i'm throwin on the goggles an scuba gear i guess lol!

Here's a few photos, cloudiness from adding the sand. And a few picstures of the rockwork that will be totally reaquascaped. I made a couple nice shelf pieces with epoxy in the garage and those will go in in the next couple days. I am also thinking about ordering some marco rock too!

Dust storm
102_1413.jpg

Side view
102_1449-1.jpg

Left Half
102_1452-1.jpg

Right half
102_1454.jpg

FTS
102_1455-1.jpg

Thanks for checkin out the chronicle, not too exciting, but i'm workin on it lol.

Reaquascaped a lil bit tonight and added a few more pieces. Still contemplating on ordering some fiji base marco rock soon...so here's some new pictures and params for today

Temp: 78 degrees
Spec Gravity : 1.024
Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrite: 1.0
Nitrates: 10
pH : 8.2
Calcium : 480

Pictures are a little cloudy...

End view w/flash on sorry lol
102_1456.jpg

End view no flash
102_1457.jpg

Left half
102_1458.jpg

Right half
102_1459.jpg

Angled left shot from right side
102_1460.jpg

Headin to bed, gotta work at 2 am, have a good weekend guys.

rmlevasseur

Be careful with that Marco rock. Its great stuff but I waited over three months for my shipment to come in before finally getting pissed off and cancelling the order.

Yeah, i've been watching their site for like a month now and it still says shipment coming soon on the fiji. If i did order any it'd only be a small box so I could patiently wait on it, wouldn't be putting my tank on hold for it. Lol, I still have almost half a brute 44 gallon can with some rock cookin in it. There's over a hundred an fifty pounds in the left half alone and right at a hundred on that right stack, the rock with the holes in it in front on the right half was 36 pounds itself :dance:

Starting to wonder whether I could use the wet/dry sump and remove the bioballs and add a skimmer to it. It's almost 36" long and has three chambers, may have to add some acrylic to make another section in order to do this?

Midnight

I got my rock from them and it was really quick and came in good shape. It did need to be cleaned really good, but all in all I really like it.

Hey guys, just a quick update. Getting ready to test my params for the day. Its saturday for me, gotta get things tested and started mixing my water for my weekly 40 gallon water change. KU is playing tonight so I gotta get everything done before 7 o clock game time! Over the last couple weeks since my last post I did one 80 gallon water change and a 40 gallon water change and all my params are doing very well, nitrates are still a little high, they're at 40.

Added my first livestock last week and are doing just awesome, I got 6 green chromis from a small LFS here in town. They are eating and swimming like crazy and already follow me as I walk the 6 feet from one end to the other!

I guess I do have a quick question. I was thinking about doing my transfer from tank to tank today, and get my blue hippo and my two false percs into my new tank. Being that the clowns and blue hippo have been together for over 6 months now, should I introduce them in the same day, introduce the clowns and then wait another week and then add the tang? Each fish is a little over two inches in size..the tang maybe close to 3 inches, so would adding them to the tank in the same day up the bioload too much too fast? And if I did happen to seperate them for a week and add the tang last would they forget each other and possibly squabble(not sure bout a fish's memory lol), they school together now its pretty cool to watch.

Ok, last thought, whenever I do get some feedback and decide to transfer the fish should i feed them before or after the move?

Thanks guys, off to start testing and mixing some salt and ro/di water. May snap some pics too.

That's actually the fish that I would like to be one of the center pieces of this tank, but I personally believe 6 feet isn't long enough for a larger achilles. Maybe one until its just over 3 inches long and then i would definately need an 8 foot long tank. They need tons of flow too!

Anyone got any suggestions on my last post? Thanks

Quick update. Been doing doing weekly water changes of 40 gallon every tuesday night or wednesday morning(did one last night). I have had six very small green chromis for a couple of weeks now and so I decided to purchase two b&w percs(was going to wait at least a month before putting anything else in the new tank but had a gift card at my LFS that I had to use or it would expire(dumb i know). I placed them in the tank on Sunday night, and last night I took my pair of false percs and my blue hippo and introduced them into the tank. I decided I'm going to try and give em a shot and see if each pair will possibly stay at opposite ends of the tank. The blue hippo and the false percs were together in my smaller tank by themselves for almost six months and even though I placed them in the tank at opposite ends during acclimation they immediately found each other and began swimming side by side checking out the tank. At that time, my black and white percs(very small...bout half the size of my false percs) were hanging out in the corner by the overflow where they sleep. After about ten minutes the black and whites came out and were swimming with my hippo and got close to the false percs. Another hour later, literally all five fish were swimming together in the flow from the powerhead, man it was crazy to watch. The pairs eventually split back up and are staying on opposite ends, except when the lights go out, all four sleep together in the same lower right corner of the tank by a large rock, pretty crazy if you ask me! I'll post pictures and hopefully a video later today. Have a good day, in a rush sorry for the rambling, gotta go to a meeting at work that has nothing to do with my job..on my day off of course!

Quick update, just went and fed everyone. The pair of black percs are staying put on the left side of the tank and the false percs are stayin on the right. There was abosuletly no squabbling during feeding time which brought all the fish together in the center of the tank. My blue hippo is schooling with my green chromis even tho she is a bit larger than them but all in all everyone is doing great! Headin back downstairs to take pictures and will post them this evening. Hope everyone's having a great day!