Chromis dieing

kragon

I found my chromis in bad shape today this morning and now i cant find the fish at all. The paraments are normal only thing to be concerned about is nitrates at 2 from my digial meter and 2.5 from saliferit. The one thing i saw is that the other chromis were picking on it every week do you think they killed it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It could be from that or the fish may just have been sick and weakened and THAT made them pick on it.

When you say "in bad shape" what does that mean?

And what are all of your current water test results.... :)

kragon

i mean it was not swimming in the school and its coloring was off and it looked like a worker just had a 48 hour straight shift. The paraments are the nitrates i stated above ammonia and nitrites and phosphates are zero, ph is 8.3 and salinty is 1.026.

smarsh97

No, 1.026 is not too high.

Wish I could help with your chromis problem, but I am not sure why those chose to pick on him.

How many did you have, I heard they do better in odd numbered groups, better if you have 5 is what I heard as well.

Sandy

cbrownfish

Yep, chromis will definitely weed out a weakling. Additionally, they are best kept in odd numbers as I understand it. I had a school of 6 for a year and recently one disappeared. There was always one that was periodically separated from the main school.....I think that is the one that vanished (died).

kragon

i had them in a trio cause i heard that it was best for them to be in an odd, and i think i know why they were attacking the other one. One of the chromis turned bright yellow the day before and i checked it online and it said thats when they start their breeding ritual is this true.